FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Smoking area for half time

kiltarlity

Lot easier to have a puff in the bogs if you ask me .
:lol::lol:

Not IMO snus is very enjoyable and guarantees the "first fag" nicotine hit every time, snuff takes a while to kick in in comparison and is not as potent, I am quite happy to respect others' right not to inhale second hand smoke these days.

I'm agree with that, Im getting to like the smoke free smells for pubs, they now smell like toilets...

Better still.... pack them in... You'll save a fortune and live longer.

Easly said that done, Ive tryed but its to hard!! lol

Better still.... pack them in... You'll save a fortune and live longer.

True but you wont look as cool or hard .

Its not big and its not clever.... thats a dumb Giant! Smoking on the other hand IMO feels awsome!

(Dont do it kids)

That's exactly what I would like them to do. There would be no need for bands as you could just show your ticket if required.

Or the empty slop in your ST

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't see why I cannot leave the stadium and come back in. Surely this is an infringment of my personal liberty and might be challengable in a court of law..??

clearly it is agianst the LAW to smoke in non smoking places and as dalneigh caley said it sais no re admittance on your ticket a**hole

There have been many people ask me about it personally and as far as i understand you are allowed to smoke at the areas where you enter the stadium i.e next to the gates inbetween the stands.

I'm agree with that, Im getting to like the smoke free smells for pubs, they now smell like toilets...

Only if someone nearby farts and even then it's a lot shorter acting and less unpleasant than fagreek. It's a small down side to the wonderful benefits of freedom from the said fagreek in pubs and other public places. The only problem now is that when you walk along the street you catch it from people standing outside and I wish something could be done about that as well. (*)

I simply cannot agree that because smoking in non enclosed places is (still :angry: ) legal there should be an obligation to provide facilities. ... unless the cigarette companies who sell these dreadful things were to do so because certainly nobody else should be responsible for the cost of doing this. Come to think of it, if the fag companies could provide ghettoes for smokers, that might help to solve the new problem of nasty niffs in the street.

Or how about simply converting St. Kilda into the only part of the British Isles where its' legal to smoke?

* take as an example Baron Taylor's Street which must be the most unhealthy street in Inverness with three pubs, two bookies and a fast food joint as well (according to the HN) as having junkies shooting up with regularity (oh yes, and the Haelth Food shop as well) Walking along smoke polluted Baron Taylor Street is an absolute nightmare.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Personally, I don't see why I cannot leave the stadium and come back in. Surely this is an infringment of my personal liberty and might be challengable in a court of law..??

clearly it is agianst the LAW to smoke in non smoking places and as dalneigh caley said it sais no re admittance on your ticket a**hole

Outside the ground is not a no smoking area.. so you can spark up the second you leave... As for your ******* line, Gee you sound like a really nice lad.. be my friend please

Guest birdog

Actually, it is NOT against the LAW, regardless of the lies on the signage, as TCS is not an enclosed space. It is however against the policy of ICT to smoke in TCS.

Edited by birdog

These rules are in place across the footballing community. It's quite obvious why you can't let people in and out of 60k capacity stadium - twould be a logistical nightmare, but it's also obvious to me that in smaller sized grounds surely it's manageable to either have a smokers area in or outside the ground.

I wonder if the side-effect that the smoking ban had on the smaller pubs - ie less people turning up - is the same in smaller football grounds?

Does anyone know of anyone that isn't going to matches anymore cos you can't have a fag. I know of at least 3 people who don't go and watch Stockport County anymore, not because they're sh1t, but because of the strict no smokin rules.

I'm off out for a smoke now.

These rules are in place across the footballing community. It's quite obvious why you can't let people in and out of 60k capacity stadium - twould be a logistical nightmare, but it's also obvious to me that in smaller sized grounds surely it's manageable to either have a smokers area in or outside the ground.

I cant speak for a 60K stadium, but they quite easily handle it at a 21K stadium in Toronto at every MLS game ...... tickets have barcodes and if you go out at half-time (or any other time) you are scanned out .... and then scanned back in again on your return ...... simple

I cant speak for a 60K stadium, but they quite easily handle it at a 21K stadium in Toronto at every MLS game ...... tickets have barcodes and if you go out at half-time (or any other time) you are scanned out .... and then scanned back in again on your return ...... simple

Sounds good to me. Would cost quite a bit to implement tho i'd imagine.

Would be cheaper and quite manageable just to put a mannie/wifey/steward with a book of cloakroom tickets or an ink stamp on an ajar gate next to the main stand. Would keep the smokers happy and away from the clean lung-ed supporters.

Guest birdog

Would be cheaper and quite manageable just to put a mannie/wifey/steward with a book of cloakroom tickets or an ink stamp on an ajar gate next to the main stand. Would keep the smokers happy and away from the clean lung-ed supporters.

No need to even go to the expense of cloakroom tickets, every on has a ticket stub to gain entry to the stadium with the date and match details on it. Why not use that?

No need to even go to the expense of cloakroom tickets, every on has a ticket stub to gain entry to the stadium with the date and match details on it. Why not use that?

Absolutely! Tho sadly the club will probs not act as they'll not want to be seen to be 'helping' people to smoke at all.

If they don't do anything I can see the reasoning behind that (promoting healthy lifestyle etc) but they also need to realise that some supporters are smokers - and want to enjoy the whole match experience. I know that when I go to TCS I'm usually wanting the final whistle to blow, and not because we're hanging on for a win... but because I need a fag.

Guest birdog

Absolutely! Tho sadly the club will probs not act as they'll not want to be seen to be 'helping' people to smoke at all.

If they don't do anything I can see the reasoning behind that (promoting healthy lifestyle etc) but they also need to realise that some supporters are smokers - and want to enjoy the whole match experience. I know that when I go to TCS I'm usually wanting the final whistle to blow, and not because we're hanging on for a win... but because I need a fag.

Thinking more deeply about the situation, the club had no problem last season in roping off an area so that people could leave the confines of the stadium to purchase food from the burger van situated outside and allow re-admittance in what way is it different to allow supporters to leave the stadium to a roped off area in order to satisfy their legal addiction? Smack heads have their illegal addiction recognised and are given methadone at our expense but people with an addiction which feeds the countries coffers are treated as lepers and a scourge to society.

Another point to consider is that by keeping people from their drug of choice for too long they get "cranky" and that crankiness is transposed onto the team with booniging (a word which was used quite a bit on one of the previous incarnations of this forum) and shouting non encouraging phrases towards the pitch, maybe a smoker's area would solve the two great debates of this weekend?

Edited by birdog

EdgerelyICT writes:

The footballing fraternity brought about a no smoking in stadiums ruling for a couple of reasons. The Bradford fire was believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette. Many stadiums are still of a flammable construction. The comfort of those around the smoker who dont smoke is also a consideration. At some area's of Pittodrie and Kilmarnock smoking is tolerated within the area between the stand and the perimeter fence. Those people are out of the stadium but are still deemed to be inside because they are still fenced in.

The law of the land bans smoking in public enclosed spaces. It also bans smoking in the workplace. Within the TCS and the carpark areas it could be construed that those are workplaces.

The clubs make the rulings and before we buy our tickets we know the ruling. Personally I find it hard to believe that someone cant go a couple of hours without a fag. I travel long distances, on public transport, to games and on work related business. I fly away on holiday, anything up to five or six hours. I drive long journeys and respect the non smoking passengers in my car. I can go to a restuarant and sit, in company, for a couple of hours enjoying a meal and a drink without the need for a smoke.

Smokers are a minority nowadays so clubs are not going to accept our reasoning. Best just put it out of the mind for the duration.

And before anyone makes rash conclusions I've smoked for close on 40 years and can, at times, get through 40 in a day.

When I get wound up I feel the need.... Football winds me up, I agree with what you say Alex, I like sitting eating with out the smell and can travel with out the need, but put the stands and caley in front of me.. I NEED A SMOKE!!!

Guest birdog

The footballing fraternity brought about a no smoking in stadiums ruling for a couple of reasons. The Bradford fire was believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette. Many stadiums are still of a flammable construction. The comfort of those around the smoker who dont smoke is also a consideration. At some area's of Pittodrie and Kilmarnock smoking is tolerated within the area between the stand and the perimeter fence. Those people are out of the stadium but are still deemed to be inside because they are still fenced in.

The law of the land bans smoking in public enclosed spaces. It also bans smoking in the workplace. Within the TCS and the carpark areas it could be construed that those are workplaces.

The clubs make the rulings and before we buy our tickets we know the ruling. Personally I find it hard to believe that someone cant go a couple of hours without a fag. I travel long distances, on public transport, to games and on work related business. I fly away on holiday, anything up to five or six hours. I drive long journeys and respect the non smoking passengers in my car. I can go to a restuarant and sit, in company, for a couple of hours enjoying a meal and a drink without the need for a smoke.

Smokers are a minority nowadays so clubs are not going to accept our reasoning. Best just put it out of the mind for the duration.

And before anyone makes rash conclusions I've smoked for close on 40 years and can, at times, get through 40 in a day.

Your point about the workplace, Alex, is wrong. If the workplace is wholly outdoors then smoking is permitted, otherwise (for example) you could be banned from smoking in the street as this is the workplace of police officers, street cleaners, doormen etc. Legislation with definitions.

Pittodrie is indeed fully non-smoking but, as you say, the stewards there turn a blind eye to it. I know because one steward there told me to smoke behind a wall out of his sight whilst giving me a knowing wink. I can't comment on Rugby Park as I haven't been there since the ban.

I am with you on the going without a cigarette for a couple of hours point but it would be nice to think that the club could take the feelings of some fans into consideration and create an area where people could go, like I say it might reduce the frustrations felt by some fans (addiction is an illness which creates irrational emotions) by giving them a place to chill out a bit.

Guest birdog

Things seem to have calmed down a bit in terms of stewarding at TCS now so if you, like me, enjoy a half-time cigarette or three then door is open. You just have to be discreet.

You might just have ruined your own little perk, I can see droves of people heading for the open door "discreetly" tomorrow night.

Its all about economies of scale - the TFC barcoding arrangement I mentioned is part of a whole integrated ticket package that allows us to manage our tickets online via ticketmaster so my comment was more to show that something relatively simple can accomodate a stadium with 21,000 at every game than to suggest ICT suddenly start printing barcodes on the tickets.

For ICT with lets say 3000 of a crowd, you might get 100 wanting a smoke at HT (probably more smokers than that but maybe 100 wanting to pop out at HT) .... so the ideas of a hand stamp, a cloakroom ticket, or something equally as simple (and inexpensive) would work just fine !!!! Given the club's increasing interaction and willingness to try things out with the support since our relegation to division 1, this question, which was previously met with a firm NO in Boardroom Banter may be worth asking again.

Given the club's increasing interaction and willingness to try things out with the support since our relegation to division 1, this question, which was previously met with a firm NO in Boardroom Banter may be worth asking again.

When i asked the question for a second time and proposed a cordoned off smoking area outside the main stand, they said they would look into it. That was about 6 months ago and nothing's been said since but i find that it's reasonably easy to get out for a smoke if you really want to. I think discretion is the key. I understand that in today's hysterical anti-smoking climate that it may be difficult for the club to expressly condone the half-time fag but if they are willing to turn a blind eye then that's good enough for me.