ICT Players

Renegade

Just thinking recently, have any current or former ICT ever been strongly linked or gone on trial with a much bigger club. According to Wikipedia, Dougie Imrie went on trial with Nottingham Forest in November 2007 and Marius Niculae was strongly linked with Watford, Sporting Lisbon, Karlsruher and Torino towards the end of the 2007/08 season, before eventually re-signing with Dinamo Bucharest. A few years previous to joining ICT, he was once heavily linked with Werder Bremen. Phil McGuire was once also said to be on trial with Liverpool during his time a Aberdeen (whether that is true or just PR spin by his agent, I don't know) and perhaps the most surprising and strange one is that Brian Kerr was once said to be getting a lot of interest from Borussia Dortmund, during his time playing at Motherwell. Are there any other either current or former ICT players anyone can think of, who either went on trial with, or were strongly linked with a fairly large club?

Charlie Christie certainly had the class to break into the first team at Celtic but came home instead, only to tear them a new ar****** a few years later :lol:

seriously though - rather than ask how good certain players might have been if they hadnt ended up plying their trade at ICT, why not go to the opposite end of the scale and wonder how many players ICT have actually helped or improved over the years by turning around a flagging career, by developing them or by showing faith in them

Allan Smart went on to play for Watford.

Les Fridge was goalkeeper for Chelsea, before failing and returning North.

Arsenal i believe were very close to signing Niculae a few years ago as well.

A few seasons back Nottingham Forest if I remember right were very keen on signing Craig Dargo and Ross Tokely. Think this was around the time when Christie got the manager's job I think.

A few seasons back Nottingham Forest if I remember right were very keen on signing Craig Dargo and Ross Tokely. Think this was around the time when Christie got the manager's job I think.

Coventry were also intrested in Dargo, as was every team at the time. I seem to recall Norwich looking at Mark Brown as well when they lost Robert Green to West Ham.

One of the more unusual ones was that Davide Xausa was linked with a move to a South Korean club, called Samsung Bluewings or such like. Their scout was going to be attending a game but it got called off and we never heard anything more about it.

I seem to remember Leeds Utd wanted to take Tokely on trial a long time back - think it was in '97, the season we won the third, when Tokely had not long broken into the team. Leeds were still doing pretty well then.

My word! Could you imagine what would have happened if Leeds had Tokely, Seth Johnson, Lee Bowyer, Dominic Matteo and Erik Bakke all in the same team? Christ.

... not to forget Eric Cantona had he not gone to Man Utd...

I seem to recall rumour about Xausa being linked to Coventry City too when I lived there, as well as Craig Dargo.

Don Cowie opted for Watford despite supposed interest from Leeds Utd and Rangers. Was John Rankin not linked to Hearts, Celtic and Rangers too???

Paul Sheerin moved to Aberdeen and Barry Robson to Dundee Utd and Celtic. Not to forget Bobby Mann who signed pre-contract for Dundee when they were an SPL team.

Going onto Scottys suggestion of players ICT have helped from flagging careers, what about Paul Cherry, Craig Dargo, Darren Dodds, Stuart McCaffrey, Dennis Wyness (Twice), Russel Duncan (yes I know I dont rate him, but his career was helped by ICT).... the list goes on

Edited by Gringo_Jnr

Arsenal i believe were very close to signing Niculae a few years ago as well.

Thats correct, Wenger tried to get him to Arsenal but he already had an agreement to join AC Milan from Sporting at the end of season but did his cruciate ligament and deal fell through

Scouts of Stoke City were apparently watching Don Cowie last season. I don't know how many teams showed an intrest in him. Leeds tryed to sign him on deadline day as well before he joined Watford.

I know it kind of goes against the "rules" of my opeing post, but Juanjo turned out for Barcelona a handful of times, and though it might not be a huge team, Richard Hastings once looked set to go to Luton Town on a Bosman, but went to County instead.

According to Wikipedia, he did turn out for the Barca first team once, in an away tie against Deportivo La Caruna and he also turned out 44 times for the Barcelona B team, scoring 4 goals.

• 2 weeks later...