FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Next Scotland manager

Yngwie

I'm inclined to agree with you - that is a definite possibility.

Could you maybe do me a favour?

At your next seance do you think you could ask Jock Stein who he would like to see get the job?

Thanks...

Would Jock know that as well?

Yes he would know that... He knows everything.

Jock was one of Scottish Football's all time greatest legends - Probably the greatest.

I was never a Celtic supporter but what he achieved in his time there will never ever be equalled.

With all the talk now of too many foreigners in our game, and not much in the way of home grown talent coming through, it's interesting to reflect that the Celtic team that became the first British team to win the European Cup, contained only one foreighner - Ronnie Simpson, who came from Embra!

All the others were Glasgow/West of Scotland guys.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig Brown! Has to be! He has said he would happily come back for his country which shows he has more loyalty that Walter Smith, the fact he has taken us to a World Cup and a Euro shows he is probably more likely of succssess than Levein and he is more experianced than Collins.

I went to see Scotland under Brown 2 or 3 times, I never went back while he was manager - so feckin negative and boring.

]I went to see Scotland under Brown 2 or 3 times, I never went back while he was manager - so feckin negative and boring.

Negative and boring got us a 1-0 win over Greece at Hampden when McCoist came of the bench late and glanced in a header. We went on to qualify for Euro '96 as a result. You should remember - you were standing next to me!

Oh how i would love to see negative and boring 1-0 wins that take us to major tournaments again.

Negative and boring got us a 1-0 win over Greece at Hampden when McCoist came of the bench late and glanced in a header. We went on to qualify for Euro '96 as a result. You should remember - you were standing next to me!

Oh how i would love to see negative and boring 1-0 wins that take us to major tournaments again.

Absolutely - the most important thing for international football with a side like Scotland is to be hard to beat. Alex McLeish and Walter Smith achieved that and we need to get someone in who will make the team difficult to play against again. A good benchmark is Greece, who overcame a lifetime of non-achievement by appointing Otto Rehhegal.

Manager's who go on about playing great football, building fantastic teams are usually pish. The most important thing in football is to win. Look at Tony Mowbray, currently making a hilarious balls up of Celtic.

I'm inclined to agree with you - that is a definite possibility.

Could you maybe do me a favour?

At your next seance do you think you could ask Jock Stein who he would like to see get the job?

Thanks...

Would Jock know that as well?

Yes he would know that... He knows everything.

Jock was one of Scottish Football's all time greatest legends - Probably the greatest.

I was never a Celtic supporter but what he achieved in his time there will never ever be equalled.

With all the talk now of too many foreigners in our game, and not much in the way of home grown talent coming through, it's interesting to reflect that the Celtic team that became the first British team to win the European Cup, contained only one foreighner - Ronnie Simpson, who came from Embra!

All the others were Glasgow/West of Scotland guys.

Born in Glasgow :P

At the risk of being shot down.. yet again, this thread is going the way of many others.

Remember when a replacement for CB was being touted, how many names came out of the woodwork??

Same is happening again, has beens, wanna bees, etc:

Lats be honest, we as country are struggling for good home grown players. Any potential manager worth his salt must look at what he has in the way of potential, frankly we have nowt, so whoever we get is at the moment on a downer before he takes up the position

Ok comments welcome!!!

I heard the same thing when Walter Smith took over. That turned out alright. Then it was a popular job when McLeish got it. He did ok too. I don't see the players have changed significantly in that time. Simply, Burley's strength in seeking out talent and playing an attacking game didn't work out for Scotland. Player for player, we are at least the equal of Wales and Norway and, IMHO, a bit better.

Ask yourself this, a couple of years ago, would the job be such a poisoned chalice? What's changed since then? The talent or just some poor tactics/team building?