FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Who ate all the pies?

CaleyD

@ Caleyd, I thought we had the same pies as Clach, and they were recently voted as the best in Scottish football, taking over from Kilmarnock. They were good.

Nope.....certainly not available from the kiosks, although they have been available in the Kingsmills Club, who are still using the MacDougall and Hastie pies, of which the Steak and Gravy Pie was voted best in the UK.

Why didn't they sell them all round the ground?

Because the catering contracts for the Kingsmills Club and Kiosks were (and still are) separate and done by different companies.

Why? Because the demands and requirements for each are different.

Ah. So regular punters no likey good peeeehs...

Is that garden or mushy peeeehs ?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay I have quickly read through this thread and there are obviously a wide range of opinions. I'll just make a couple of points.

Firstly I would like to give them a short run in time to get things right. They are very experienced in what they do and I think it will prove to be a good move.

The staff were drafted in from elsewhere as they haven't had a chance to recruit locally yet, but they have advertised in the local press for matchday staff, so if you think you can do better, then please apply.

I was personally unhappy with the quality with the previous contractor and also their management and stock control left a bit to be desired. I hope that once these new people find their feet we will see further improvement.

My own feedback is that the queue was dealt with quicker and more efficiently and that the quality was better.

On the down side I am concerned about the level of the price increase. We were told there would be a slight increase, but reports suggest that these were a bit too much.

Situation with macaroni pies is bound to be resolved when they realise the demand.

They set Saturday up at extremely short notice, so I hope that any shortcomings will be resolved and we'll see an improved service every week

If you've been to any of the clubs below then you'll already have paid those prices.

Catering at Celtic, both Dundee's, St Johnstone, Livi, Motherwell and Hibs is run by this company.

The catering at those clubs is dire .

Hmmmm the peh I had at the 'well was good.

I got the following from Darren earlier today. Apologies for the delay in posting, but this is the first chance I've had......

Q. Were the staff from Edinburgh?

A. Yes, they were Hibs staff on loan until Lindley recruit their own Inverness team which as you know doesn?t happen overnight ? 1 manager will be appointed and up to 20 staff.

Q. Have prices gone up?

A. Yes, slightly (10p on a mince pie) but they are a better quality pie and will not run out at half time, they will also be introducing meal deals which will have an overall saving against the old prices.

Q. Were the queues the same?

A. Not that I am aware of, Lindley have bought 20 tills with each servery able to serve people much quicker plus they have committed to have all serveries open every game...unlike the previous caterer. For the bigger games they will also have people with big trays?s behind each goals selling pies and drinks.

Q. Has quality remained the same or even got worse?

A. Anyone I spoke too was very complimentary, from the next game they will also have Macdougal & Hastie?s, No 1 steak and gravy football pie in addition to Lindley?s steak pie for fan?s to have a choice.

Q. Did the shop run out of things at half time?

A. Not that I am aware of but will find out.

Q. How long is the contract?

A. 5 and a half years with an opt out at the end of the season so both parties can decide how happy they are with each other. The money we get from Lindley compared to the previous caterer has more than doubled, crucial revenue to the club.

Q. What was the reason for appointing the new company?

A. Do I really need to answer that one, I thought it was pretty obvious.

Hopefully this provides some clarity and, with a bit of patience, the fans will see we have made the right decision to change. To make such a major change does take time to get right and there will be teething problems.

I got the following from Darren earlier today. Apologies for the delay in posting, but this is the first chance I've had......

Q. Were the staff from Edinburgh?

A. Yes, they were Hibs staff on loan until Lindley recruit their own Inverness team which as you know doesn?t happen overnight ? 1 manager will be appointed and up to 20 staff.

Q. Have prices gone up?

A. Yes, slightly (10p on a mince pie) but they are a better quality pie and will not run out at half time, they will also be introducing meal deals which will have an overall saving against the old prices.

Q. Were the queues the same?

A. Not that I am aware of, Lindley have bought 20 tills with each servery able to serve people much quicker plus they have committed to have all serveries open every game...unlike the previous caterer. For the bigger games they will also have people with big trays?s behind each goals selling pies and drinks.

Q. Has quality remained the same or even got worse?

A. Anyone I spoke too was very complimentary, from the next game they will also have Macdougal & Hastie?s, No 1 steak and gravy football pie in addition to Lindley?s steak pie for fan?s to have a choice.

Q. Did the shop run out of things at half time?

A. Not that I am aware of but will find out.

Q. How long is the contract?

A. 5 and a half years with an opt out at the end of the season so both parties can decide how happy they are with each other. The money we get from Lindley compared to the previous caterer has more than doubled, crucial revenue to the club.

Q. What was the reason for appointing the new company?

A. Do I really need to answer that one, I thought it was pretty obvious.

Hopefully this provides some clarity and, with a bit of patience, the fans will see we have made the right decision to change. To make such a major change does take time to get right and there will be teething problems.

Good to see a lot of the queries answered and as Darren said there were/is bound to be some teething problems to begin with and hopefully these will be sorted out.

If you've been to any of the clubs below then you'll already have paid those prices.

Catering at Celtic, both Dundee's, St Johnstone, Livi, Motherwell and Hibs is run by this company.

You get pizza, Chips and Sausage Rolls at Celtic Park though.

You also get close to 50,000 people there every game so it probably more cost effective to put in the equipment required to serve these items.

Edited by stevico1

You get pizza, Chips and Sausage Rolls at Celtic Park though.

that's because their pies are pants!

Yes, very pleased to see some club viewpoints on the catering, which is a very important part of the matchday experience. I hope this is a sign of things to come, as although i don't expect the club to be on the forums day and night, a quick Q and A on certain matters via a mod, can work wonders to fan morale. Sterling work.

Since when did people eat pizza at football matches?

I believe I had a slice on a certain evening in February 2000 at the aforementioned Celtic Park.

It is also on the menu at Toronto FC along with the pre-requisite Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Chips, Chips 'n' Gravy, Chips 'n' Curry Sauce, Chip Butties, Souvlaki, Pita breads and all sorts of other stuff ....... oh, and of course BEER !!!!

TFC do a taste test before every season to see what fans want !!! They pick a random group of season ticket holders and feed them on the proposed food for the next season ..... (I havent been picked yet :rolleyes: )

2007: http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_new...p&team=t280

2008: http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_new...p&team=t280

2009: http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_new...p&team=t280

2010: ?????

They set Saturday up at extremely short notice, so I hope that any shortcomings will be resolved and we'll see an improved service every week

No excuse...not for me anyway...an experienced company should have done their market reasearch by checking average crowds at home games and stocked up accordingly. Surely if you run a company starting a new contract you need impress on the first day?

As for the pies, they were more expensive and mine was cold and unimpressive. Verdict - must do better....a lot better.

Since when did people eat pizza at football matches?

I believe I had a slice on a certain evening in February 2000 at the aforementioned Celtic Park.

It is also on the menu at Toronto FC along with the pre-requisite Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Chips, Chips 'n' Gravy, Chips 'n' Curry Sauce, Chip Butties, Souvlaki, Pita breads and all sorts of other stuff ....... oh, and of course BEER !!!!

TFC do a taste test before every season to see what fans want !!! They pick a random group of season ticket holders and feed them on the proposed food for the next season ..... (I havent been picked yet :lol: )

2007: http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_new...p&team=t280

2008: http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_new...p&team=t280

2009: http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_new...p&team=t280

2010: ?????

Incredible menu! Pretty sure that that level of catering would take fans in irrespective of the level of football on offer.

I recall in the 70s getting fish and chips at Pittodrie. That was a treat. The outside van, with their ?2 chips seems to have deserted us, since our relegation.

However as a previous poster points out, it is all done on a cost/consumption basis. The previous caterers told us that it wasn't cost effective for them to do hamburgers, or in our case, vegeburgers. For a while however, we took our own in and he cooked them and sold us rolls, and a service charge, great work. Till he was told that, yes that's right, health and safety mitigated against it. I wonder if the new caterers would like to rise to the vegetarian challenge? It is after all 10% of the population and rising, c200 folk per crowd. Or will we have to do with the 5 macaroni pies between us.