FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

African Cup of Nations

Yngwie

Tournament now underway with what sounds like a cracking opening match.

Hosts Angola go 4-0 up on Mali, who stage a comeback in the last 20 minutes to get a draw.

Is there any television coverage of this tournament? BBC used to cover it in previous years but I haven't seen anything so far.

Did you hear about the student that bet ?4400 of their student loan on Angola to win with 20mins to go or whenever they went 4-0 up, just to make a ?44 profit.......

What a tool he must now feel like. Who would bet with odds like that anyway. I'd rather bet on Mali pulling back to get a draw, knowing I'd probably lose my money. At least the odds would be good.

See Mali are complain that Algeria and Angola played for their draw and therefore did not play in the spirit of Fifas fair play ethics or something.

Sorry but am I wrong here. Is a draw not a perfectly fair result? Are you not allowed to use a tactical ploy to get a result which will see your team through. If neither team wants to risk conceding a goal then they have every right to not over exert themselves.

If it had been arranged between the teams, fair enough, then thats basically match fixing. It just seems like sour grapes from Mali because their head to head record with Algeria saw them go out.

Dont get me wrong, if MY team was knocked out of a tournament or relegated because two teams played for the draw that suited them both I'd probably feel a pretty hard done by. However I think I'd have to accept that draws are part and parcel of football and that unless there is blatant attempts. and evidence, to fix that result to the advantage of both teams then its not really right to complain and you just have to move on.

Mali want the CAF to act and discredit the result (ie no point for either team meaning they would go through) without any proof other than it didn't suit them, which would to me, just show how farcical and amateur African football, in general, is.

Interesting that Algeria were involved in this dull 0-0. They were controversially knocked out of the 1982 World Cup after Germany and Austria (?) passed the ball along the back 4 to get the 0-0 result both those sides needed to go through.

Its not like it's never happened before though. Rangers were beating Hibs 1-0 at Easter Road and both team stopped trying as news had filtered through that Celtic had been beaten by Motherwell and if Rangers were to win they won the league so they just played keep ball and hibs too sat back.

Its happened before in the Champions league. Can't remember exactly who but It may have been a Galatasaray game perhaps where both teams were to advantage to settle for the status quo.

If draws are to be allowed then it should be of no harm to the teams playing to accept it if it benifits them. If 1 point is enough then the draw is enough. Just as a draw would have saved us last season.

Its not like it's never happened before though. Rangers were beating Hibs 1-0 at Easter Road and both team stopped trying as news had filtered through that Celtic had been beaten by Motherwell and if Rangers were to win they won the league so they just played keep ball and hibs too sat back.

Why would Hibs sit back? They might not have been good enough to win but I doubt they'd play for a 1-0 loss.

Why would Hibs sit back? They might not have been good enough to win but I doubt they'd play for a 1-0 loss.

From what I remember they had all but confirmed a place in Europe unless a two goal swing in goal difference between themselves and either Aberdeen/Hearts would have changed that so they were more than happy for Rangers to keep the ball in their own half where they couldn't score.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to tonight's Egypt v Algeria derby. The noise is incredible in Cairo when the national team plays. It was loud enough the other night when Ivory Coast scored against Algeria. Insane rivalry (although I keep telling my wife, that's what makes it interesting but to no avail).

Egypt won 4-0. Third goal must have been from the tightest angle possible. Algeria with three men sent off: a last man mistimed tackle, a deliberate attempt to leg-break then the keeper (at last) being red-carded for a wild kick at an offside player. Cairo going absolutely radio rental. The Old Firm derbies pale in comparison to this.

Egypt now going for their fourth African Cup in a row! Such a shame a couple of poor results mean that arguably the greatest team Africa has ever produced will miss the World Cup in Africa.

Noise here is incredible!

Egypt won 4-0. Third goal must have been from the tightest angle possible. Algeria with three men sent off: a last man mistimed tackle, a deliberate attempt to leg-break then the keeper (at last) being red-carded for a wild kick at an offside player. Cairo going absolutely radio rental. The Old Firm derbies pale in comparison to this.

Egypt now going for their fourth African Cup in a row! Such a shame a couple of poor results mean that arguably the greatest team Africa has ever produced will miss the World Cup in Africa.

Noise here is incredible!

Cant believe he never got sent off for headbutting the ref earlier on! :huh: