FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

So which result is bigger?

Scotty

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ours, of course, but well done to County for putting paid to the managership aspirations of "Irish Gentleman" and vile cheat Lennon.

Two problems, one there will be an England 1966 effect for a while, even more so, if they win it.

Two, this will justify all the Huns who saw us, and now County, as the "Rangers of the North". The blue strips dont help this pish.

their result is bigger, easily

they are in the scottish cup final and possibly europe, its simple

I agree entirely , we beat Celtc and then got knocked out in the next round . County now are playing in the final of the biggest cup competition our Nation has to offer and by the look of todays SPL scores will be playing in Europe next season .

Theres an even bigger result at Dumfries about to happen.

It depends which team you support, but County in the semi result is just magnificent for them. At the time ours was stunning.

It's pretty even. We did it against a Celtic side which contained Moravcik, Viduka and a young Petrov. And Regi Blinker!

We were a bottom half, very inconsistent (we'd win 4-0 one week then get pumped the next), very young and skint 1st division team going to Parkhead. We were basically seen as a formality. A bye to the next round. I always thought we had a slight chance though, but that was mainly ross tinted optimism.

Ross County did it against a team that probably are not as good as the one which formed part of O'Neills teams backbone.

Everyone fancies their chances and they had the added incentive of a cup final. Ross County are a fairly consistent, top half, fairly well off (for an SFL1 team) 1st division team. They were up against Robbie Keane. If he doesn't get a sniff Celtic have proved fairly toothless. But he is top class. Celtic should be beating Ross County. They were big favourites. McGeady should be relishing playing on the wide open hampden turf. I always thought County had a good chance and I dont really want them to win.

So I'd say ours was a bigger scalp. A result which really shocked. However the stature of County's game is bigger as they are now in the Scottish Cup Final.

However I offer congratulations to them and am glad to see a highland team get it up one of the Old Firm. And the extra games played in the cup may aid us significantly in the title run in. 7 games to play in 21 days for county then 2 weeks off before final.

Well done Ross County! C'mon the Caley Jags! 3 games to go.

Our 3-1 win was a bigger result, we were the trend setters and it didn't seem as important to the public when we beat them the second time whilst managed by the well respected Martin O'Neil.

Supercountygoballistic? get your own head liners

But it is a bigger achievement to reach the cup final.

Edited by 12th Man

I've read one or two posts but not all, so forgive me if i cover old ground. But for me, the bigger result was ourselves in 2000...

All credit to C*unty - they played well and never really looked threatened. But they (Celtic) have an interim manager, a team of new faces still gelling and are have lost the 'fear factor' they once had. every team now wants to play them because they are not the celtic people once feared!

If you look at ourselves, there were few teams who could boast knocking out any of the OF since Berwick Rangers all them years before. We were very much a new team in the Scottish Leagues (just 6 years old), still with players that graced the Highland League previously. Celtic had huge names in football at the time. Mark Viduka, Ian Wright, Mark Burchill, Lubo, Johnny Gould, Berkovic etc etc. They also had their 'hero' King Kenny at the club!

All they have now is Keane and Lennon.

Like I said, all credit to RC, thoroughly deserved and many congratulations. I just think you'll always be compaired alongside our great victory(s), which means our 'shock' is ultimately bigger!!!

I think our result, but only just. Simply because it was the first and put Highland, and more importantly Inverness, football on the map.

Take nothing away from County today, couldn't see the game as I was at work but by all accounts they deserved it. Absolutely delighted a team from the Highlands has reached the Final for the first time, pretty gutted it wasn't us though as we have certainly had the opportunities in the past. I definitely won't be going to Hampden to support them but I'll probably watch it on the TV and if they win it fair play to them. It won't bother me too much, as long as we win the league and get back to the SPL.

County's cup run has kinda put their place in Scottish football in perspective for me, they are still very much the wee club from the North and seem to enjoy playing up to that Community club/small time team coverage which the media are falling over themselves to give them. Very reminiscent of ourselves after the first Celtic result although ICT are well past that stage by a good few years now.

County's is bigger as it was a semi-final, and they are now in the Scottish Cup Final. I'm happy for them. It wasa goreat result for ICT at their home turf, but ultimately they get at least a runners-up medal and are 90 mins away from Europe...I'll be hoping for a County win.

It's not a case of which is bigger, yes we did it first but to beat Celtic but County first had to negotiate two games against Hibs. County are 90 minutes away from being Scottish Cup Champions.

I for one am delighted for them and will be willing them on to win the final.

Well done County, well done Derek Adams and yes, well done Craig Brewster.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :D :D

Too close to call.

Beating Celtic in the cup semi final to become the first Highland team to reach the Scottish Cup final is a huge endorsement in County's favour.

On the other side, ICT's won was at Celtic park itself and indeed it kicked off a trend which has snce become a little more commonplace. Berwick and Hamilton did it against Rangers but it wasn't sustained. Since ICT did it in 2000 against Celtic, they did it again in 2003 (and DAMN close to a third time) and so did Clyde. As a result Cel;tic's infallibility has beenn seriously challenged and 8.2.00. set the foundations of that.

I was at Hampden today and make no mistake about it. County were absolutely superb, so was the atmosphere and it was just a WONDERFUL day for Highland football.

My highlight was interviewing Donnie MacBean... County's counterpart to Jimmy Falconer... and he had tears in his eyes!

I suppose it depends what you mean by "bigger result".

Games in the later stages of any knock-out tournament are always "bigger" in that there is more at stake, but our win was undoubtedly a bigger shock, no doubt whatsoever.

Its just a shame our tie against Celtic wasn't preceeded by home ties against the likes of Inverurie, Berwick and Stirling. :lol:

Edited by Yngwie

Our win against Celtic was a bigger shock. That said, I think County's win is more important, as this win could got them to the Scottish cup final and possibly into Europe.

Any bets this is the Sun newspapers headline tommorow? - "SuperCountygoballisticCelticareatroscious"

I really couldn't give a fook, and not really interested in trying to compare or poinst score with C*unty on whi was bigger/most importatnt. For ICT fans Feb 8th 2000 will forever play a major part in OUR history and for C*unty Fans today will play a major part in theirs.

Let them enjoyu their win and we'll always enjoy ours.

The prize for County winning today is much bigger than the reward we got - but out our result was much bigger. We were only six years out of the Highland League (with some ex HL players - Christie, Calder) and we played Celtic off the park on their own turf.

It was conceivable that County - an established SFL club - could win against Celtic today, on a neutral venue. No-one in their wildest dreams ever expected the result we pulled off on 8 Feb 2000. Different times, bigger shock waves then.

I would say ours due to it being at Hampden on a bigger stage and of slightly more importance. Also we are a smaller team than you but both games were tremendous results in their own right and a credit to the highlands.

Indeed they were. Enjoy your day out at the final.

Also we are a smaller team than you

County in 2010 are a much bigger, wealthier, more established team than ICT were in 2000. We had just come up from Division 2 with a team and manager largely from the Highland League, rather thanthe SPL origins that form the base of County these days. County have been battling for promotion, ICT back then were happy to be steering clear of relegation.

Perhaps the question has been answered by the media coverage. County's win is the backpage headline today, whereas ours was the front page, everywhere. I note that on the BBC news last night, yesterday's result wasn't even the main sports story.

Celtic losing, and losing to lower league teams is par for the course these days, and a first division team reaching the cup final isn't a novelty any more after Gretna and Queens managed it in very recent years.

County raised eyebrows across the land, but there are no shock waves.