FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Marvin Andrews-Missed opportunity?

nogbad the bad

2-3 weeks ago when Rangers first released said player, I posted here with the contention that perhaps, money , location and fitness not withstanding he might be an ideal

replacement for Dods next season. I wouldn't say I was laughed out of court but the general opinion was that I was dreaming. 3 weeks later we find Marvin signing a 3 year contract with Raith!!! for goodness sake. Now I know he used to play there when he first came to Scotland and maybe still has many friends and contacts there, but surely he could do better than that....like us. I would be very dissapointed if I heard that ICT didn't even

make tentative enquiries about him at the time of his release because if so we may have missed an opportunity of signing a quality replacement central defender.

The moderators must immediately remove at least the last offensive, racist, part at that last text.

However I cant in any way agree with nogbads suggestion since I do not think Marvin Andrews would be a good aqisition.

His fitness is very suspect. His knee is nackered. At Raith he is playing on a "pay per play" basis (so is he really on a 3 year contract?) I think his wage demands would be exessive and I wouldnt be surprised if they are being payed by some sponsor at Raith. Also CC would probably feel oblidged to play him if he had him and leave Dods or Munro on the bench. Its fair enough in the 2nd division if you hapen to have a "personality" player who might do a job for you but its different in the SPL.

Also remember what happened to Hately at County or even McSwegin, Hamilton etc. It just didnt work.

In any case Marvin says God wants him to to go Kirkcaldy, not Inverness!

Point 1. Marvin would not have been good for us regardless of race, colour or creed. He has a totally f***ed knee and refuses to have it operated on. He would never manage another season in SPL.

Point 2. God, obviously, never told him to approach ICT.

Point 3. It is reported that he has signed a three year £1000 a year deal being paid for partly by the club and partly by other parties.

And, as for players of other races, there will be such a player at ICT in the not too distant future. More and more good players are coming over to Britian from African and Carribean countries, where they see the wages, even those paid paid by clubs such as ours, conditions and future prospects as being a great deal better than they could ever achieve in their home nations.

Just a reminder that each poster is responsible for their own comments made on this forum.

The allegation made in this statement is pretty serious and I would also highlight that we (the site owners) would be legally obliged to provide the club/authorities/police with any and all information we have pertaining to the identity of any person making such comments/allegations.

If they are true and you can prove it, then you have little to worry about.  If you can't you may want to reconsider your comments and remove them from the forum yourself.

Point 3. It is reported that he has signed a three year £1000 a year deal being paid for partly by the club and partly by other parties.

Maybe I am picking this up wrong but is that meant to imply we can't afford him? Almost all our players are on contracts in excess of £10,000 per year.

Was that meant to be £1,000 per week?

Guest Sandy Cromarty

I know fer a fact that Steve Paterson would have given his right nut for Andrews when he was at Raith and then Livi as then he was the DB's of a defender , but now? well given the injuries and all the other stuff?? I really couldn't see him fitting into our present side. I heard that Gordon Brown and a couple of other directors are picking up the top end of his salary, also met a couple of people who have met him at religious meetings and they say he's a wonderful sincere preacher but that doesn't surprise me having worked with a few of his countrymen.

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Wee bit harsh there Reef, for a while there  Marvin was head and shoulders above any other central defender in Scotland and I mean that in every sense, your take is is up to you but in his prime this player was way better than King Billy when I watched him at Parkyerheed, just because he turned out  in blue doesn't take away from his abilities.

Marvin Andrews was a great defender in the first division and was decent enough in the SPL until injured. By all accounts he is also a very personable gentleman. If he were fully fit and free of injuries, I would have loved to see him at ICT as a replacement for Bobby Mann or indeed for Darren Dods if he goes. However, the unfortunate truth is that Marvin is never going to be free of injury now and we shouldnt touch him with a ten foot pole.

He could be okay for Raith but don't forget there are another ten guys in his team too so don't expect any great return to form from them...as for signing him for us, really, come off it, do we need any more cover at the back, no -  between Granty,  Dods and Caff we have a good mix of styles and the three are reasonably interchangeable - we have no need for damaged goods as it were, and what with Marvins rather agricultural approach to the defending it'll be curtains for his career sooner rather than later.

Guest Sandy Cromarty

I'm a hundred and eleventeen Johnboy, old enough to know a wee bit about fitba and phonies and remember when men were men and women said thank you after a bit of servicing, now you have all this equality yet women still sleep on the wet stain.

Maybe I got carried away with the Marvin Andrews evaluation there but on his day he was great, was he better than Billy?? different game then I suppose with a wee bit slower pace and more time on the ball, so the question is would the Billy's and Beckenbaurs been as successful in todays game? maybe, but on the other hand would Andrews have fiited into any team back then and the answer is a definate yes.

Maybe I am picking this up wrong but is that meant to imply we can't afford him? Almost all our players are on contracts in excess of £10,000 per year.

Was that meant to be £1,000 per week?

Yep, sorry RiG. Was meant to read £1000 a week.

Guest Suspicious Mind

Sandy

You must be on the wind up eh? Caesar and der Kaiser in the same sentence as Marvin Andrews?

No matter what era of football he could not possibly compete. Understand the point about the "modern era" but surely Franz was the ideal centre back for today's game.

U are on fishing though eh?

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Serious as Cancer SM ( SM?? hmmm, serious connotations there ).

I was a great admirer of both the aforementioned but yes I believe Andrews on his day was as good, maybe a tad more physical but still a great presence.

BTW the Express has an article today on Brian Irvine having made a serious bid on Andrews just prior to his move to Kircaldy.

I'm a hundred and eleventeen Johnboy, old enough to know a wee bit about fitba and phonies and remember when men were men and women said thank you after a bit of servicing, now you have all this equality yet women still sleep on the wet stain.

Maybe I got carried away with the Marvin Andrews evaluation there but on his day he was great, was he better than Billy?? different game then I suppose with a wee bit slower pace and more time on the ball, so the question is would the Billy's and Beckenbaurs been as successful in todays game? maybe, but on the other hand would Andrews have fiited into any team back then and the answer is a definate yes.

What utter rubbish....

Women don't always sleep on the wet stain....!!

:sleep01: :sleep01: