FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

a proper scotland team

Bombabim

Given the disgrace that was friday night :irritated: , and to be honest the previous two games aswell, what would be your favoured scotland XI? with no injuries (even barry ferguson can play if you really want) and a game against the czech republic who would you want? personally i'd go like this.....

Gordon

Hutton Webster McManus Wallace

Fletcher,D Thomson

Dorrans Adam Maloney

Fletcher,S

Yep i'm stealing terry's tactics, but they work in an attacking sense in my opinion and i think scotland have players to do it. would use this team and formation for games against the like of the czech republic, lithuania and teams of a similar and slightly better calibre than ourselves. have a go. whats the point in playing not to?

my only real dilemma is in the 'odi' role, mcfadden would be prefered but on current form adam would get it (although i ain't even sure if he plays there for blackpool)

for bigger teams forsake one of the attackers for another more disciplined midfielder. in my opinion that looks not bad, there are even a few players around who i struggled not to put in.

Attackers/Midfielders: Mcfadden, Snodgrass (when he gets fit again and proves himself in the championship), Naismith, Miller, Morrison, McCormack (if he finds form again), O'Conner,

Jamie Mackie did impress me in his highlights reels but really don't know enough about him and he was played in completely the wrong position on friday

Defenders: Berra, Caldwell, Weir

either way everyone has an opinion. and i don't think were as bad as we appear just got some seriously unadventurous managers who think we need to play backs to the wall the whole time. its depressing, pointless and a waste of time and money for the players and fans alike.

go on sir alex, retire from man u and take up the scotland job, i don't care if its only part time, even that would be better than what we got at the moment!! :irritated:

your country needs you :tongue:

McGregor

Hutton Webster Weir Wallace

Fletcher,D

Dorrans, Adam ,Maloney

Mc Fadden

miller

mcmanus and caldwell would be nowhere near the team if i had a choice.

had choice between gordon and mcgregor, but on recent showings its nutso mcsha**er for me

mcfadden in the free roam behind striker role for me too. this way we can run the game

cant really argue with hutton, wallace, webster, dorrans, adam and maloney, i might have put it morrision as the boy did show his worth against lichtenstein.

if i had to put 2 dms, mcfadden out and mcculloch in. they guy has been outstanding , shame about the elbows though

I think a defensive formation was right against the Czechs but it was just the wrong defensive formation. Without an attacker, the Czechs were easily picking up the ball at the back, having time to get their men into position and putting as many people forward as they would have liked. None of this would have happened if we 'defended from the front'.

Look at our record of managers:

Craig Brown - defensive

Berti Vogts - attacking

Walter Smith - defensive

Alex McLeish - defensive

George Burley - attacking

The biggest failing McLeish had was when he ditched the caution for the game against Georgia --- and we lost 2-0! We can't match the top teams if we're relying on Kris Commons or Stevie Naismith to create chances. Hard workers with a bit of skill but not something to base an international team on.

Out of the ex-pats, Scotland don't have a single attacking player (possible exception: McFadden but he's out for the season) in a team that can challenge for a European place in the EPL. Adam failed to take his chance when given it with Scotland (I'm not saying he doesn't deserve another but it's far from guaranteed that he'll do anything this time), Maloney couldn't get a regular game at Villa and O'Connor is out on loan and failing to make the grade. Steven Fletcher is having a poor season but I can't see him ever going to Spurs, Liverpool, Villa etc. Lower EPL is his level (and it's a good level but he's not a world beater). Kenny Miller has also not been on the radar of the upper EPL in his entire career.

So, based on that, I'd follow the Brown/Smith/McLeish line-up of keeping it tight, working hard and trying to score on the break (not the duck shoot that Levein tried). Although, I think your formation can be played as a counter-attack.

As per your suggestion, with everyone fit and suspensions etc not counting, I would have:

Gordon or McGregor

Hutton - Caldwell - McManus - Wallace

Hartley

Morrison - Fletcher - Adam - Dorrans

Miller

I would normally have said Gordon but McGregor has looked sound at this level, so I've no problem with either.

Before Mowbray, Caldwell and McManus were the basis of title winning Celtic teams. They know each other's game and were tight under Strachan. Caldwell seems to be a source of ridicule but before Mowbray he was player of the season.

The way Hartley's been performing for Aberdeen this and Bristol C last, makes him a cert in def mid - right on Rosicky's tale. McCulloch's a good replacement.

In mid, it's either/or for Brown and Fletcher (too similar, likewise Barry Ferguson), so Fletcher alongside Adam, who can pass and keep the ball.

Up front, Miller to make a nuisance of himself and tire out the opposition. He's quick enough also to pounce on mistakes, plus his energy would be advantage for any subs coming on to attack the tired defenders.

But I don't think there's any way back for attacking football. Scotland just don't have the depth, as Vogts and Burley found out to their (and our) cost.

Gordon or McGregor

Hutton - Caldwell - McManus - Wallace

Hartley

Morrison - Fletcher - Adam - Dorrans

source of ridicule but before Mowbray he was player of the season.

The way Hartley's been performing for Aberdeen this and Bristol C last, makes him a cert in def mid - right on Rosicky's tale. McCulloch's a good replacement.

Unfortunately Hartley's injured - not even in this squad.

You're missing the point of the thread

what would be your favoured scotland XI? with no injuries (even barry ferguson can play if you really want)

and

As per your suggestion, with everyone fit and suspensions etc not counting, I would have:

You're missing the point of the thread

what would be your favoured scotland XI? with no injuries (even barry ferguson can play if you really want)

and

Oh yeah, right.... I see what you mean....

It's all endemic now anyway, as Del Boy would say.

Oooooh I guess it would have to be:

-Gordon-

- Hutton - Weir - McManus - Wallace

- McCulloch -

- D. Fletcher - Morrison - Dorrans -

- McFadden -

- S. Fletcher/ Miller -

* note Fletcher or Miller

It obviously all depends on the opposition and venue. And with attacking full backs it allows our midfielders to play slighly narrower. Away I'd go 4-1-2-2(wingers)-1

with same 1st five. D.Fletcher and another midfielder be it a fit Brown, Thompson, Adam, Dorrans, Morrison. With Naismith/Maloney/Dorrans/Faddy flanking big Chris Iwelumo, Mackie or S.Fletcher.

If it was down to international form Darren Fletcher might struggle to make the squad. 3 good games in over 50 appearances is not good enough.

And Kenny Miller is not a lone striker no matter what Walter Smith and Craig Levien will try and tell us. Running around alot does not always equate to a good contribution. He scores most of his goals and plays his best football in a front 2. Energy does not always equate to good lone front man play. His inability to keep a ball under control for long hinders him in the hold up ability for one.

Edited by iamthecaptain1

Are we allowed to pick players like Dalglish, Law, Bremner, Jordan, McQueen, McGrain, Hartford, Gemmill?

Yeah, but most of them are past their best (especially Billy Bremner!). Even in their prime, I'd still have the razor sharp Wallace over McGrain and the mighty Darren Fletcher over Souness. Archie Gemmill or Charlie 'the pride of Glasgow' Adam? Hmmmm, so difficult to choose. Dalglish and Law might have been fine for the San Marinos of this world but we have to feel blessed when even the likes of Kenny Miller and Chris Iwulemo can't get a game.

This truly is the finest Scottish team......ever!

(or then again, maybe not...) :tongueincheek: