FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Boyd

Tug

My link

i see he is on his way back to the uk. could be worth the possibility of offering a short term deal would suit both parties

we could never afford a long term set up but could benifit from an experienced proven goal scorer for the rest of the season

he would get a good shop window to advertise himself

For me the real topic here is just how incredibly poorly Scottish international players travel. Over the last 10 years has anyone made a success of an overseas move? The likes of Boyd, Riordan and O'Connor have all done well in the UK and earned lucrative overseas moves, and barely kicked a ball once they got there and can't wait to come home with their tails between their legs. "Failed to settle" is the 100% predictable outcome in all of these cases.

Very different from the days of Jordan, Souness and Archibald, and in a later era we at least had Mo Jo, Collins, Lambert and even Brewster.

There are plenty of Scottish successes in England where the culture and language are (just about) the same as ours, but as soon as they cross the channel, our boys just can't seem to hack it. There can't be a serious footballing nation in the world that has fewer succesful exports to Europe/Asia.

For some reason, when I lived abroad, they always seemed to show Middlesborough matches. It'll go down as a Boyd failure but really it was Strachan not buying in any wingers to replace Dowling or Johnson. Robson was the most epxerienced wide player they had and he's not got the pace to be a winger anymore.

Yet, when Boyd went on loan to Forest, he had a terrific strike rate. From what I can glean about Turkey, Boyd went to his new club, the day after, his boss was sacked. New manager didn't think he was up to it, so barely featured. Thing is, he's rarely looked keen. He's a lazy b*** that has scored goals wherever he's been, except Middlesborough. I wouldn't be surprised to see him ending up at Blackburn, Wigan etc. Proven goal-scorer for free? Why not, when you're heading for relegation. Might as well take the chance.

With the sale of Jelavic in January I wouldn't be surprised to see him back at Ipox , very similar to their current managers career in that he also tried his luck in England and failed miserably . Easy to score a borrowload for Rangers against the rest of the dross up here but a very different story when up against the big boys down South .

• Agree 1

For me the real topic here is just how incredibly poorly Scottish international players travel. Over the last 10 years has anyone made a success of an overseas move? The likes of Boyd, Riordan and O'Connor have all done well in the UK and earned lucrative overseas moves, and barely kicked a ball once they got there and can't wait to come home with their tails between their legs. "Failed to settle" is the 100% predictable outcome in all of these cases.

Very different from the days of Jordan, Souness and Archibald, and in a later era we at least had Mo Jo, Collins, Lambert and even Brewster.

There are plenty of Scottish successes in England where the culture and language are (just about) the same as ours, but as soon as they cross the channel, our boys just can't seem to hack it. There can't be a serious footballing nation in the world that has fewer succesful exports to Europe/Asia.

Yes, I couldn't agree more. Its an abysmal record the Scottish players have had when they have ventured abroad in recent years. They are all quick to take the money at the beginning, but not prepared, it would seem, to put the effort in to overcome the language and cultural difficulties they meet. We've had so many failures, I'm surprised that foreign clubs even bother trying to recruit from Scotland anymore.

Aiden McGeady has done well in Russia i thought, Although born in Scotland now playing for Ireland. I would say though that its not just Scottish players that has struggled to perform abroad. I don't recall many British players at all being a success in foreign countries and i believe this is down to our ignorance as a nation in learning new languages, either that or we just aren't good enough.

How is Odhiambo doing in Turkey?

I have been a bit disappointed that Boyd has not enjoyed success either at Middlesborough or in Turkey. I always rated him as a real quality striker provided that the team played to his strengths. With Boyd you have to accept that others do the work and he scores the goals and with the chances we have created this season he would have scored a hatful for us if he'd been in the side. I don't for a moment think he would come here but I think it would be a great move both for him (to get back in the shop window) and for us if he did sign to the end of the season.

It was on the radio tonight, Boyd terminated his contract, because the Turkish side he signed for have yet to pay him a monthly wage. Been in Turkey 5 months and not been paid, and has termed his contract like the Hearts players could if they didnt get paid.

For sure he would score goals for us, and given the chances we have made he would probably make top scorer in the SPL, but alas I doubt we could squeeze ?10k a week out of the board to get him. Will be astonished if he doesnt end up at Ipox, since Naismith got injured they aint the same

It was on the radio tonight, Boyd terminated his contract, because the Turkish side he signed for have yet to pay him a monthly wage. Been in Turkey 5 months and not been paid, and has termed his contract like the Hearts players could if they didnt get paid.

I would be surprised if its as clear cut as Boyd makes out. The club doesn't seem short of money, and there's no suggestion of any other players not getting paid during that time. Looking at a fans website (translated) the suggestion is that he got paid 6 monthly in advance. Boyd's agent seems to be saying that payment was a signing on fee not upfront wages. I think this will come down to a dispute over contract interpretation - or possible even translation!

Looking at a fans website (translated) the suggestion is that he got paid 6 monthly in advance. Boyd's agent seems to be saying that payment was a signing on fee not upfront wages. I think this will come down to a dispute over contract interpretation - or possible even translation!

Was it in ?uros !!! :lol:

• 1 month later...