FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Penalty or dive ?

tm4tj

How about having a read of http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4524354.stm

Obviously not deliberate.  He's charging the ball down and turns away to avoid injury so that he's facing the opposite direction.

Is his arm in an unnatural position?  Possibly for a brief moment but entirely consistent with the turn he's making.  There is no deliberate holding of his arm in an unnatural position to increase the chance of the arm blocking the ball.

Did it even hit his arm?  Probably not as the ball made a very solid sound and then bounced away in the opposite direction to what it would have done had it hit the arm.

Not a penalty in a million years.

Edited by DoofersDad

The Meekings one looked a stonewall penalty to me , the Shinnie one is inconclusive and the ref and linesman were both in perfect positions to make the call .

^^Predictable response^^

^^Predictable response ^^ , care to explain your problem with my post ?

No problem with what you wrote. I only commented that it was predictable.  As in, its the opposite view of the vast majority of people who have commented on here, in other places, and people I have spoken to that were at the game, and what I seen on TV.

It is obviously your style to be the opposite of the majority and to stir things up for your own reasons.  Hence, your post was predictable.

• Agree 5

If you reckon it was a free kick, why is it not a penalty :blink:

Just watched it again, playing it over and over again and it looked from the camera view behind the goal as contact was made outside the penalty area, it couldn't have been less than an inch but that's what I saw. Maybe if I had been there on Saturday viewing from another angle and without the luxury of replays and slowmo  I very likely would have been shouting for the penalty.

I'm pretty sure his foot is on the line and that's where the contact is made.  His foot remains there throughout the incident while his body speed takes him over the top.

Penalty for me.

Laws of the game clearly state "handles the ball deliberately"

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2011_12_en.pdf - Page 34

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footballdevelopment/refereeing/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2012_e.pdf

I think you're linking to an old version (based on the file name). That's the most recent version that I can find.

Read the rules and stick by my original post , penalty for deliberate handball as his arm was at 90 degrees to his body and in an unnatural position .

^^^ Still doesn't understand the rules.

Personally I think refs give too many penalties for handball. It's only an infringement if it was deliberate. All this stuff spouted by refs and pundits about arms being in "unnatural positions" forms no part of the rules.

The ref just needs to ask himself "Did he mean it?" and usually the answer is no, the ball just hit a player's hand because there was no time to move it out of the way.

• Agree 1

I sort of agree with you, but the point about the unnatural position is that the player deliberately places his arms in a position where the ball is more likely to hit, and so whilst the ball may hit the hand or arm, there remains a deliberate intention in the action.  It is important to have that clarification otherwise, as suggested above, you could have defenders at corners or free kicks with their hands (or one of them at any rate!) above their heads.

Apparently Cardinal O'Brien had his hand in an unnatural position and now he's paying the penalty - although in his case it appeared to be a clear case of hand to ball.

• Agree 6