• Scott Brown
    • Kevin Thompson
    • Ian McCall
    • Garry Warren
    • Ross Tokely
    • Jim McIntyre
    • Someone else

21 hours ago, dougal said:

One thing this appointment has done has highlighted how many ICT fans support either side of the old firm something I suspected all along. 

Dougal

Classic projection.

I suspect that dougal is one of those who enjoyed Caley (or Thistle) being in the Highland League as it meant they rarely came up against their big team, so he never felt he had to choose between them. 

When the merger happened it forced them to choose (or made them feel like thay had to).  Jumping on the anger of the merger gave them an excuse to turn their back on Caley Thistle and keep following their big team with a perceived 'clear' conscience.

Caley Thistle's success, and some people choosing them over their previous 'bug' team, only fuels that anger because it was never suppose to be like that.

Trying to call out people who support, or once supported, one of the erse cheeks is just dougal searching for common ground with others.  dougal claims they have lots of friends of a similar view to theirs, but here they are, desperately looking for vindication on a Caley Thistle fans forum.

I actually feel a little sad for them and their insecurities (or regrets?), and hope they find peace with the situation sooner rather than later.

• Well Said 2

Never mind who was in the running now .... we have Big Dunc and we need to get fully behind him and the players.  The supporters really played their part yesterday and hoping for more of the same at the first home league game where he'll be in charge against Partick on Saturday.

Yesterday was great and whilst there were major celebrations at the end, I don't think people are under illusions that there is still a lot of hard work to be done even to avoid relegation never mind anything else.  It was more a case of relief that we finally managed to win a game, combined with welcoming the new manager.  Delighted to see him in amongst the fans at the end... the type of passion that has been sadly missing in recent times.

Keeping feet well and truly on the ground but feeling much more positive than a couple of weeks ago after yesterday's performance.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Well Said 2

53 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Would have been better if nobody had risen to Dougal’s bait, because now he’s going to conclude that only a handful of our fans deny his assertion!

You are right Yngwie, I got caught when he was fishing!

I wouldn’t worry about it as Dougal only comes on here once in a blue moon and we had the last one this year a couple of nights ago. 

He just stirred up things and disappeared 🤣

Of course he was fishing but he does have a degree of validity. I would say that the large majority of fans who followed Inverness clubs - in the 70's and 80's - also had affiliations to "bigger" clubs. I went on a road trip with four mates - all Caley fans - we travelled to Glasgow - I watched Celtic and the other three watched Rangers, Dundee and Aberdeen. When you consider the "Caley Animals" we all had affiliations - mainly to Rangers. Dougal was abnormal and was a Howden Ender alone. Now perhaps that should be applauded ?

I do think most of the older supporters of ICT also followed 'bigger teams' in bygone times, as we had no league representation in our day. I myself  apart from being an Inverness Thistle fan, home and away, watched for results from the teams in other leagues, not that I ever saw most of them in the flesh, but my 'bigger teams' were Celtic, West Ham, Bournemouth and ExeterCity. Now, there is no need to follow other teams, but it still happens, buses leave to see various other teams every Saturday. When it came down to the occasional friendly or Scottish Cup game against The Jags and Celtic, there was only one team that I supported, the Jaggies, and now, as I have every Saturday to watch football, you'll find me down at the stadium supporting ICT

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

I saw Duncan Ferguson mentioned as 50/1 to be new manager of Rangers. It’s simply not gonna happen, but I think those might be shorter odds than you’d have got on him becoming ICT manager!

You wonder, if ICT were still pondering about what applicant to appoint as their new manager, if Duncan Ferguson's name would have been mentioned as a possibility as the new rangers manager, or is it just that we have put his profile front and centre? Did any of us give a passing thought about DF since his dismissal from Forest Green, and had his name ever been mentioned as a possible rangers manager before?

• tm4tj unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Big Dunc seems to have made a positive start. We will see. Hope this continues. Also hope that the cracks his appointment are papering over are not allowed to remain papered over indefinitely. 

• Agree 7
  • Well Said 1

Because I believe in my team and the positive experience that is being part of rich, diverse and open fanbase.

Every time I feel bitter about life, love and the universe I come here and feel how much better my life is without the weight of such high expectations and low opinions of others.

Thanks for giving me that context.

• Funny 5

A very erudite response which did make me smile, but my worries and comments are not directed at the players.  I believe in the team and their commitment to doing the best they can.

My expectations of those in charge of the club are not high, but you are spot on in saying that my opinion of them is low.  I suspect I am far from being alone in that.

I shall leave it at that so as not to drag this thread any further off topic. I fear I may already be invoking the wrath of the site's invigilators!

• Well Said 1

Came across this on the bbc sport website.

” The lone away fan who led his club to glory”

He became president and led his club to glory at age 27.

When I was just a fan I would always be criticising from the stands," he says. "Why didn't the team grow? Why were we such a small club? 

"But now I could see the difficulties of being a little football club, trying to survive - you're dealing with a lack of money, lack of resources, lack of sponsors, just a general lack of support."

Parallels between Santa Cruz and ICT?

Maybe, just, it’s not all Gardiner and Robbo’s fault.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Facepalm 1

• 1 month later...