FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Who do we go for then?

davieB

How about trying to get a Rangers youngster on loan?  I've heard Steven Lennon (a midfielder) is a highly rated 19 year old who scores for fun...  He's young so maybe he could adapt to a striker's role.

Perhaps if he could do a job in some first team SPL action with us for a season that could stand him in good stead with Rangers, which is obviously what the player would want.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football_scottis...fm?id=649982007

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last "promising youngster" we had on loan hardly covered himself in glory.

Doesnt mean we should never try to loan someone again, look at Stokes at Falkirk, arguably he kept Falkirk in the SPL last season. Agreed it can be hit or miss but still worth a try if it nets us goalscorer for a season!

personally i think we should go for Steven Dobie, at QoTS i think, little bit out of shape but i think with a good pre-season under his belt he could be a great signing.

I'd love in if we could unearth another Anthony Stokes even if we had him for half a season. However, I doubt that there's such a prospect lurking in the reservers or youth team of any SPL club.

The English Premiership may be a different proposition altogether.

I'd love in if we could unearth another Anthony Stokes even if we had him for half a season. However, I doubt that there's such a prospect lurking in the reservers or youth team of any SPL club.

The English Premiership may be a different proposition altogether.

Agreed the Premiership is the ideal hunting ground for players who really could make a difference, however i wouldnt rule the SPL out completely, Rangers seem to have some very good youth players coming through banging on the door for first team action as do Celtic and its well publicised the Hibs have a very strong pool of youth players coming through too,  i wouldnt discount the SPL altogether although i'd love to see a premiership starlet benefitting us up here.

Charlie will get literally dozens of emails a week offering him players from both the UK and abroad .... so many in fact that he probably bins half of them as a lot of them will be spam or not worth pursuing as the players wouldnt get a work permit.

Before the club moved to their new official website (and email addresses) I used to get a fair number of misdirected emails or emails that were just sent to "admin" with a request that they be forwarded to the manager (which I did). A lot of these emails offered players from the likes of Syria, Cameroon, Algeria, Egypt, Ecuador, Brazil etc etc etc ....

I am sure he gets a similar dose of more 'professional' emails from UK or European based agents who have actually taken the trouble to look or ask for his direct email address rather than doing a scatterblast mailshot and he probably pays a little more attention to these as well as memos that come from other clubs with lists of players available for loan .... however, the hard part is finding a gem (like Stokes) in amongst all the mediocrity.

I would like to see if we could unearth a gem but wouldnt limit this to the SPL .... perhaps Hagi/Popescu will actually recommend someone or maybe our somewhat tenuous and so far unfruitful relationships with teams in England (Sheffield courtesy of a former Chairman, Man Utd courtesy of current Chairman etc etc etc.) will finally come to something.

Guest TinCanFan

What about playing Tokely upfront? He's got height, speed, a good passing and shooting ability and may turn out to be a good partner to Wyness or Bayne if he was played as a forward.

I would concur !!

As has been mentioned either in here or on another thread, we need a proven goalscorer / poacher. Bayne and Wyness have their own particular styles but Dargo was an out and out poacher (and I mean that in a good way).

Tokely may be many things but natural goalscorer will never make it onto his C.V.  :004:

Nevermind Tokely as a forward ( :rotflmao:), I'd play Zander upfront.  Let's face it all Dargo really offered upfront was some real pace and Zander has it in abundance.  It would be a good learning experience for Zander to play as a striker/winger anyway, if works for Henry it works for me  :023:

I would concur !!

Tokely may be many things but natural goalscorer will never make it onto his C.V.  :004:

Supernatural goalscorer?  :001: Why not try him out against the buddies, I can just picture their faces as he nets the third. :tic01:

Is this the same Callum Elliot who left Motherwell because he couldn't be arsed commuting between Edinburgh and Motherwell in the morning? Love to see him try getting up to Sneck if that is his attitude.

In reality we need cover for three defensive places, Centre, right and left backs due to fact that there is no one to cover Hastings or Rossco, we NEED an experienced striker, no bullshitting of Wyness or Rory to make them think they can fill the space.

think morgan will be used as cover hastings(at least until january). P&J says McIntyre & Mcmanus. I would be happy with that. also heard we were trying to get scott cuthbert on loan from celtic, would be a great signing. saw him for scotland U20's and didn't put a foot wrong all night! just a right back to add to these guys and we'lll be in good shape

Guest TinCanFan

What about bring the old Mexican keeper/striker Jorge Campos out of retirement? He could serve as a replacement for Dargo and could play in goal.

Grassa says that 2 strikers and a centre back is what we are after (and thats taking into account losing Dargo) so an experienced forward looking for a fresh start and hungry to prove himself and a youngster hungry to make it in the game. We need another powerhouse at the back. Dunfermlines Bamba doesnt want to play 1st division football?

Alex Burns perhaps upfront? I doubt we'll get anyone from a top team. Have to scour the 1st division or look at our rivals.