FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Who do we go for then?

davieB

So, with Dargs away, our strike options for next season need boosting urgently.

Grassa said  we'd be bringing in two strikers if Craig left, and I know we're having another look at that Buchanan, so he could well be one of them. I suspect he's not being seen as a direct replacement though(mind, if he's good enough, then why not?)

What about the other though? Who's capable of getting 15+ goals a season......can't say anyone realistacally springs to mind.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see us missing out on Buchanan with all the indecision as to whether he's up to it or not.

John Sutton would seem to be a good call but I'm not sure we could tempt him north  :007:

If the rumours about Dargo signing for St. Mirren are true, and bearing in mind Sutton rejected St. Mirrens latest offer, then there is no way we can get Sutton.

Decent strikers in Scotland are like gold dust at the minute. Dargo was one of them.

Rumours?  It is just one guy on a message board.

No chance of getting John Sutton as I said in a different thread.  I fear that we will be plundering the lower divisions for a striker, and one that won't be able to do the job.  County are a no go for any decent strikers, and it is going to be hard enough convincing a decent striker to move up to Inverness over any other options that he gets.

I can see us sticking with Bayne, Wyness and Rory for next season.  With that Buchanan lad added in.

That's normally how rumours start!  :015:

Buchanan now appears to favour a move to County as we seem reluctant to put in an offer for the lad at the minute until he turns up for another "trial". If he got an offer from County it sounds like he would take it. We are by no means certain to get him either.

Have faith - Paul Ritchie was pulled out of the hat at the last minute. Dargo arrived late.

One of the great things about Dargo's refusal to sign is that this should motivate 95% of the players at ICT. The highest paid player is expected to be the best. That destabilises a team when the goods are not delivered. Last year Brewster caused havoc behind the scenes so I see this as a new dawn with new fresh players coming in.

Anyone thnk Wilson could do a good job as a striker nxt season. With cowie coming in and hart showing some decent form later in the season, could be an option. Could be good for him with less tracking back. Still has a bit of that old pace as well. No long term solution I no but it is another option.

thinking about it logically, our midfield is in great shape to not only contribute goals (Rankin, Paatelainen, Hart, Wilson, Black all attack minded and capable of goals) but also to provide quality balls to the strikers  - Wyness, Bayne, Rory and Buchanan (?)

I quite like the idea of Wilson going further forward and allowing Hart or someone else some time on the right wing, maybe not as an out and out striker but a very attacking midfielder. I think Paatelainen will come very good next year and will provide well from the left flank and with Rankin and Black able to strut their stuff in midfield (supported by Duncan) we may miss Dargo less than we think.

Next season is Denzil's year - if he gets the service he will score the goals - and our midfield is looking like it may be able to provide that service.

Agreed.

Although I wouldnt go as far as playing him up front, IMO when Bazza plays a more attacking role we reap the rewards.

Its a pitty Parker scored such a screamer for Blackpool and got them promoted, as I fancied our chances of knicking him if we'd tryed. He was quite the talent.

What about Offiong?

Barry will not be starting every game next season, he will become a bit part player, Patti & Cowie along with Hart will be fighting for that place.

Rory is gash ( at present) Bayne will work away and get 6 / 7 maybe 8 goals, and Denzil aint a penalty box player and might get the same.

Buchanan, if he is good enough and if he signs, is an unknown entity.

We need a goalscorer to replace Dargs and i think the director of football knows this.

I have a feeling that messrs Hagi and Popescu might be busy trying to find us a suitable replacement if that reported scouting deal did indeed come to anything

players are leaving but none are coming in.dods,brown(ok in jan),dargs,golabek.

my mate made a good comment the other day he said that he can see us signing no1 all summer then panic buying some crap 3rd 2nd divison player.but hopefully he'll be proved wrong!!

players are leaving but none are coming in.dods,brown(ok in jan),dargs,golabek.

agree we need a couple of decent signings but it is not totally true to say no-one is coming in !!!

OUT

Dods - yes we need a replacement. The starting 4 of Hastings, Munro, Caff, Tokely have little or no cover for injuries and no competition for places which could lead to complacency.

Brown - IMHO, Fraser has proved to be a more than adequate replacement after patiently waiting for many seasons. Ridgers is there as #2.

Dargo - a blow, but not an insurmountable one. Denzil/Bayne can score goals if given service and our midfield looks good enough to provide that service. Agree we do need an additional striker though to challenge Denzil/Bayne. Rory is not ready and Buchanan (if he comes in) may need some time in the reserves before he is ready for SPL action (or he may be a sensation - in other words - an unknown quantity).

Golabek - A tremendous servant to the club over the years but in all honesty did we miss him last year when he went to Livi ? NO. I wish him all the very best at County and thank him for his contribution to ICT but this is one player who can be replaced reasonably easily (or maybe has been if you consider the young left back moving up from the U19 squad).

IN

Paatelainen - looks a good signing, contributed at the end of last season, will benefit from full time training and I predict he will be one of our 2007/08 shining stars.

Cowie - I dont know a lot about him to be honest, but he has been mentioned by ICT supporters for a few seasons as someone who would be good to have. I will defer to the better knowledge of my peers on this one !!

Buchanan (?) - One for the future perhaps ? or maybe he could come straight into the first team squad in the same way that Paatelainen did and he has done well.  If he were to form a good understanding with either Wyness or Bayne then it could be quite exciting as he does know where the back of the net is.

Ridgers - Capable keeper who was #2 ahead of Mike Fraser for a long time at the club. Decent enough signing.

my mate made a good comment the other day he said that he can see us signing no1 all summer then panic buying some crap 3rd 2nd divison player.but hopefully he'll be proved wrong!!

Cant see it myself. think Charlie is a little better than that.

However, I could see us signing some eastern European player(s) on the recommendation of someone like Hagi or Popescu and that could go either way .... we could unearth a gem or a dog turd. We might get the next Henrik Larsson who was, without doubt, the best transfer Scotland has seen for years (650K !!!!) or we could end up in a deep pile of "Rafael" who must rank as the worst 2.5 million that was ever spent.

all we can do is wait and watch .........

i dont think we'll have trouble taking on another player similar to dargo in quality and experience

after grassa ballsing this one up (i think hes partially to blame for making such a big deal fo the 'record' contract offer and letting it drag out for so long) the balls firmly in his court as to where we turn next.

for a start we shouldbt be looking below the spl in this country again, i think he should concentrate efforts abroad and take a chance on a romanian or polish reject.  a polish friend of mine whos a total geek about their football thinks almost every player would kill for a chance in the spl, theres a view in poland that playing locally hampers your chances of getting into the national team with players from the spannish, germand and french second divisions getting prefference this past few years

Fer fecks sake - Dargo is in a bidding "war", via his feckin agent fer weeks - Bristol City and Bournemouth (with Sherringham  :rotflmao:) head the list. If he goe south then his missus is a feckin WAG and he is a ******.

The name of Callum Elliot is at the bottom of ma feckin teacup again this morning.

"With hundreds of players released by their clubs every summer, the scramble to earn a new contract is becoming increasingly desperate."

Out of Contract

Surely CC & Grassa have a Plan B up their sleeve. We have a few weeks before we need to start Panicking.