FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Marius on bench?

yes - looking at both BBC and sporting life websites (cant get sky sports ticker at work) it seems that the whole squad is on the bench (other than the starting 11 of course)

Reedee - thats because DANIEL Niculae is on the park !

Guest birdog

yes - looking at both BBC and sporting life websites (cant get sky sports ticker at work) it seems that the whole squad is on the bench (other than the starting 11 of course)

I thought that was always the case with these finals, three subs allowed to be used in the match from any of the squad?

I thought that was always the case with these finals, three subs allowed to be used in the match from any of the squad?

Cheers. Wasn't sure of the rules in this tournament - whether it was full squad or seven subs or whatever on the bench. Anyway, just confirmed by the commentator - we got a wee mention! Sure it will be a much bigger one if Marius gets on and sticks one in the top corner.

Good open game, btw - Romania are playing some nice stuff on the deck.

Guest birdog

Cheers. Wasn't sure of the rules in this tournament - whether it was full squad or seven subs or whatever on the bench. Anyway, just confirmed by the commentator - we got a wee mention! Sure it will be a much bigger one if Marius gets on and sticks one in the top corner.

Yeah I noticed our wee mention, "first time an Inverness player has turned out in a major tournament" I had to send a text to the BBC reminding them of our long term Canadian international.

@Scotty you know I am nearly always right, just a bit to pushy in getting the point forward :016:

Yeah I noticed our wee mention, "first time an Inverness player has turned out in a major tournament" I had to send a text to the BBC reminding them of our long term Canadian international.

The Gold Cup probably doesn't count as a major tournament in the BBC's eyes because England can't compete in it...

@Scotty you know I am nearly always right, just a bit to pushy in getting the point forward :016:

Ditto - Though did Xausa not play in the Gold Cup as well?

Yes, but I think it was not whilst he was at ICT?

Guest birdog

The Gold Cup probably doesn't count as a major tournament in the BBC's eyes because England can't compete in it...

You are of course correct with what you say about the beeb but is the Gold Cup not the American equivalent of the Euro Championships?

To the unblinkered, absolutely - unquestionably a major tournament. To Motty et al, however, it's the colonies having a kickabout with jumpers for goalposts.

Decent first half from Romania - good late pressure.

Wonder if France will up their game in the second? Pre-match, Marcel Desailly claimed, in his odd, parrot-like voice, that Karim Benzema was potentially as good as Cristiano Ronaldo. Haven't seen anything to justify that yet.

Guest birdog

I wish he'd put on Marius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but who'd he replace??

any suggestions??

The only way he will get on the park today is if someone gets injured.

Guest birdog

I wish he'd put on Marius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but who'd he replace??

any suggestions??

The only way he will get on the park today is if someone gets injured.

Looks like I was wrong again.  :003: :001:

Yes, but I think it was not whilst he was at ICT?

Richard and Davide were both in the squad for the Gold Cup in February 2000 - Richard flew out almost immediately after THAT game at Parkhead and something tells me that Xausa actually went before it but I could be wrong. Xausa played 4 games and Richard played 5 including the one where he scored the "golden goal" against Mexico in the quarter final to take Canada through. Canada eventually won the cup beating Colombia 2-0 in the final and Richard was named "Rookie of the Tournament"

He also played in the most recent Gold Cup and was named to the best 11 of the tournament after a very solid display throughout which culminated in a very very dodgy USA win against Canada in the final. That last game was a good one for Richard and he showed some true leadership in trying to encourage his team-mates to get back into the game after some shocking calls by the ref (a ref Canada had complained about before) ..... he was almost "Roy Aitken-like" in his "encouragement" of players.

Edit:

Xausa played 4 games: 13/02 V Costa Rica, 15/02 V Korea, 20/02 QF V Mexico, 24/02 SF V Trinidad/Tobago

Hastings played 5 games: 13/02 V Costa Rica, 15/02 V Korea, 20/02 QF V Mexico, 24/02 SF V Trinidad/Tobago, 27/02 Final V colombia

Good result for Romania and encouraging for Marius - to be put on as second sub when Romania were comfortable and not chasing the game suggests the manager rates him, so we can probably expect to see a couple more appearances. Certainly did  nothing wrong, although he didn't see much of the ball. One nice little moment in commentary: "Marius Niculae did well".