FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Delusions of grandeur

Guest birdog

This thread makes interiguing reading mainly because the posters who are telling folk to "get a grip" so to speak are ones that believed we had some God given right to be challenging for a top 6 spot every season when we were in the SPL.

I am not sure if any of that was aimed in my direction RiG but if it was you can spend as much time as you like searching the archives you wont find a post of mine declaring that sentiment, you will find that if I had spent a match in the main stand I have criticised the fact that any attempt of mine to create an atmosphere met with disapproving stares.

I am not wanting people to get a grip either, I would like some sections of our support to realise that as we are all individuals we will all react differently to situations on the park but at the end of the day we all want the same thing, ICT to achieve the best possible results.

Just a thought for you but the most effective trains of thought seldom travel in a straight line, those who's drivers want to drive them straight over the bends often become derailed. I learned this recently (with a great amount of help from Scotty) and have adjusted my driving style, some other folk would be well advised to do the same.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We dont have the right to go out on the park and thrash Montrose,

Jesus wept, no one is saying we have the right to beat anyone. However I expect the players to be professional and to do a good job, which would have meant beating Montrose comfortably, because let's face it, we are better then them.

two players in particular who played in the game i meet them at 5:30pm on Saturday and they were already in the pub

Given the game was still ongoing at 5:30 I find this hard to believe.

I am not sure if any of that was aimed in my direction RiG but if it was you can spend as much time as you like searching the archives you wont find a post of mine declaring that sentiment, you will find that if I had spent a match in the main stand I have criticised the fact that any attempt of mine to create an atmosphere met with disapproving stares.

Not aimed at you are anyone in particular at all more at the attitude that seemed to develop within the supporters on here whilst we were in the SPL which was that we were as good as shoes ins for the top 6 and relegation was never a likely scenario.

two players in particular who played in the game i meet them at 5:30pm on Saturday and they were already in the pub

Given the game was still ongoing at 5:30 I find this hard to believe.

Typo error this was meant to say 6:30

Totally agree - the new boy Cox with the broken arm was the only player Isaw who gave anything like 100% effort for the whole game. Foran started well, but looked like he had lost interest by the second half.

Not that important to the conversation, but Cox hasn't got a broken arm, he fell into a glass table or something and sliced some ligaments in his fingers. Because the ligaments connect up through the wrist he has to have a splint to keep everything straight to give them the best chance of healing.

It looked like the Montrose #2 seemed to think that giving him some heavy treatment might take him out of the game or slow him down, but all credit to Cox because he kept battling and chasing....even though he looked to be in a bit of discomfort with his hand after a heavy fall on it part way through the second half.

Guest birdog

Not aimed at you are anyone in particular at all more at the attitude that seemed to develop within the supporters on here whilst we were in the SPL which was that we were as good as shoes ins for the top 6 and relegation was never a likely scenario.

Okay, sorry about that but if you read over your post again it does kind of give that impression, the last paragraph in my last post would not apply to you then.

QUOTE (RiG @ Jul 27 2009, 02:05 PM)

"Not aimed at you are anyone in particular at all more at the attitude that seemed to develop within the supporters on here whilst we were in the SPL which was that we were as good as shoes ins for the top 6 and relegation was never a likely scenario"

Well I for one felt we had a 'right' in the SPL - not the top six but the top of the rest.

Our fall into the SFL was only considered a possibility, by me, in the final two games of last season and even now I am in a state of denial.

On P & B I have difficulty going to Div 1 as our position, in my stupid mind, is SPL.

Delusions of Grandeur ? You Bet!!

I think the point some are trying to make is that it's not all doom and gloom and whilst most of us want to see our team performing at the highest level there's some things about the 1st Division which we'll find preferable to the SPL.

Not aimed at anyone. I just find it an interesting switcharound.

On P & B I have difficulty going to Div 1 as our position, in my stupid mind, is SPL.

The SFL1 forum is rubbish. Populated by idiotic Dundee fans and general morons. I posted that due to an injury sustained by Abidal in training that Djebi Zadi was getting a France call up. People actually believed it.

Edited by RiG

Guest birdog

I'm not too sure what you mean RiG. My point of view about matters on the park has not changed too much, I don't think, of course circumstances will always change a way of thinking about any subject. I think due to recent events (as a mod you will know what I mean) the method in which I deliver my point of view has had to change and certainly my experience of the Main Stand on Saturday really made me think about how hostile some fans can be towards each other, especially as we all support the same team. There is definitely a different way of thinking across there in the expensive seats. If the switcharound that you are talking about is indeed my new manner of posting then it could be down to the fact that if I want to stay here then I need to fit in and my usual aggressive posting manner has had to change but I believe, and I may be wrong, that my basic beliefs and ideas about discussion topics are the same all that has changed is the delivery.

First off I had forgotten I had already replied to this quoted post of yours earlier on :lol:

I'm not too sure what you mean RiG.

Basically, we had posters a while back talking about ICT pushing for a top 6 spot as it was almost a certainty now some posters are saying we have no divine right to beat Montrose. The latter is quite correct but I find it interesting as to why we have no deivine right to beat Montrose but seemed to have some divine right to be in the SPL and in the top 6.

If the switcharound that you are talking about is indeed my new manner of posting then it could be down to the fact that if I want to stay here then I need to fit in and my usual aggressive posting manner has had to change but I believe, and I may be wrong, that my basic beliefs and ideas about discussion topics are the same all that has changed is the delivery.

It has absolutely nothing to do with that I can assure you! Nor is it to do with anything anyone shouted on Saturday in the stands. It's exclusively based on reading some of the posts on this forum over the years.

Edited by RiG

The SFL1 forum is rubbish. Populated by idiotic Dundee and general morons. I posted that due to an injury sustained by Abidal in training that Djebi Zadi was getting a France call up. People actually believed it.

You mean he isn't?

:lol:

I'm not too sure what you mean RiG. My point of view about matters on the park has not changed too much, I don't think, of course circumstances will always change a way of thinking about any subject. I think due to recent events (as a mod you will know what I mean) the method in which I deliver my point of view has had to change and certainly my experience of the Main Stand on Saturday really made me think about how hostile some fans can be towards each other, especially as we all support the same team. There is definitely a different way of thinking across there in the expensive seats. If the switcharound that you are talking about is indeed my new manner of posting then it could be down to the fact that if I want to stay here then I need to fit in and my usual aggressive posting manner has had to change but I believe, and I may be wrong, that my basic beliefs and ideas about discussion topics are the same all that has changed is the delivery.

What I have noticed over the past few years actually ever since we got back to the TCS in the SPL was that there seems to be a rivalry between the Main Stand and the North Stand. I used to sit with the guys who try to sing songs which now seems to happen before the match and at penalty shootouts and taking the **** out of away fans for singing songs which is shocking they should start bloody singing during the match rather than trying to act all hard. Anyway I dont know why it is but there is a dislike between north and main stands which needs to get sorted out. We need to get together support our team and make some ******* noise and try and make the TCS one of the grounds that nobody used to want to come to

What I have noticed over the past few years actually ever since we got back to the TCS in the SPL was that there seems to be a rivalry between the Main Stand and the North Stand. I used to sit with the guys who try to sing songs which now seems to happen before the match and at penalty shootouts and taking the **** out of away fans for singing songs which is shocking they should start bloody singing during the match rather than trying to act all hard. Anyway I dont know why it is but there is a dislike between north and main stands which needs to get sorted out. We need to get together support our team and make some ******* noise and try and make the TCS one of the grounds that nobody used to want to come to

I sit in the main stand, and we dont have a problem with the north stand on the whole but the main reason why most of us dont join in with the songs is because, if were being honest are songs are an embrassment, dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum CALEY, it aint exactly an amazing song is it, and apart from Section G there aint really that much sound comes out of the north stand either if were being honest

Edited by caleyrule

I sit in the main stand, and we dont have a problem with the north stand on the whole but the main reason why most of us dont join in with the songs is because, if were being honest are songs are an embrassment, dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum CALEY, it aint exactly an amazing song is it, and apart from Section G there aint really that much sound comes out of the north stand either if were being honest

Fair enough. Some people in the North Stand have a problem with the Main Stand then. Yeah I agree the songs that do very occaisionly get sung at home are crap but from my experience we do have a fair few songs to sing. The noise that comes out of section G isnt exactly booming. They dont actually do any of their singing during the match when it needs to be done most which I find astonishing

I am one of those with a problem with the main stand, as you've probably guessed from other threads.

Most are negative, have nothing positive to say when the match is going well, and grumbling or shouting pathetic abuse at our own players when it aint. Not saying the north stand is magnificent but its been getting better over the last two years. All it would take is just a little more effort from the main stand, before the match and during it. The away support for ict is pretty decent, and i believe that 90% of those are either expats or north standers.

I don't get the psyche of most main standers, can't figure out what they get out of paying ?20 to sit down, not move and moan for 90 minutes.

Terracing would solve all our problems in terms of attendance and atmosphere. Never going to happen but surely for now the main stand can just cheer up.

Unfortunatly for me I have a season ticket in the main stand for next year. The way your talking about it I think I might end up going mad. At least I will have the away games to keep me sane. I am on a personal mission to go to every games this season

I keep having this nightmare running through my head where we are 7 games in and we have 1 loss.... but only 1 win and 5 draws.

I just get this feeling we really will have to scrap for results this season and if the team are not prepared for that we might struggle. The lack of a good replacement for Black- I personally thought in the 1st division, a level down, that role was tailor made for Vigurs but hey what do I know. It remains to be seen if any of our new signings are any better than him.

The fact that most of the signings are young and promising is good. Up for a challenge I hope. Eager.

Getting in one of Rangers or Celtics young midfielders on loan might be worth a punt.

The away support for ict is pretty decent, and i believe that 90% of those are either expats or north standers.

I think you are very wrong with this comment.

Terracing would solve all our problems in terms of attendance and atmosphere. Never going to happen but surely for now the main stand can just cheer up.

How exactly? Having terracing didn't exactly create an electric atmosphere when we were last in SFL1.