FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Greatest cheats of all time

Yngwie

Blood boosting is a fairly common way of cheating without actually taking anything illicit but is it cheating?

I'm competing it two weeks time so I get someone to remove a couple of pints of blood from my body and store it in a freezer. Leaves me with six pints which my body replaces over a week or so. Back up to the standard eight pints I thaw out the frozen two pints and pump them into me. I've now increased my oxygen transfer to muscle by 25% but have I really cheated?

I would say so because it's not natural.

John Teasdale's Elgin City team.

Whats this story then?

This will be a reference to the "non awarding" of the Highland League title in 1993. Initially Elgin City were presented with the trophy after they beat Forres 6-0 at Mossett Park on a Friday night in April. Then, six days later, they were stripped of the title by the HL Management Committee when it emerged that as a result of the game being brought forward (at Elgin's request I understand) to the Friday night, suspensions on player-manager John Teasdale and John MacDonald, which began the following day, were avoided.

The final decision was not to award the title that year and it all created a huge furore, just at the time when the SFL were on the point of declaring two vacancies. It has always been believed that the whole affair contributed to Elgin's abysmal showing in the entry vote the following January which brought in CT and Ross County (which would have happened in any case I believe.)

The other issue which emerged was that Teasdale was also accused of having placed bets on a 6-0 scoreline in that game in which he subbed himself off at 6-0. This was in serious breach of SFA rules but Teasdale got away with it. As it happens I was standing ten feet away from him when he was being interviewed by David Love for MFR post match and I clearly heard him refer to the bet.

The other thng Teasdale did, on this occasion in a post match interview for the BBC, was to attempt to rubbish the Inverness claim for a place in the SFL... words which of course backfired seriously nine months later.

I would, however, also want to acknowledge the massive contribution made by his brother Mike to ICT over a number of distinguished years on the field.

• 2 weeks later...

Blood boosting is a fairly common way of cheating without actually taking anything illicit but is it cheating?

I'm competing it two weeks time so I get someone to remove a couple of pints of blood from my body and store it in a freezer. Leaves me with six pints which my body replaces over a week or so. Back up to the standard eight pints I thaw out the frozen two pints and pump them into me. I've now increased my oxygen transfer to muscle by 25% but have I really cheated?

Cheating,me thinks you would handicap yourself if you tried to add an extra 2 pints to your healthy body,a lot of stress on your vital organs. Try removing your blood separating the plasma and reinjecting.