Formartine United Sign....

Renegade

Our good friend Phil McGuire! Apparently he's there for a few months before going to play in America.
At least 6-7 months then as the MLS season is winding down now (last 3 weeks of normal season then playoffs) and doesnt start back up again until April 2010

What team in america is he going to play for?

If he is going to play at that level for 7 months before heading over the pond then I would guess he hasnt got anything lined up and will tout himself round the MLS during the spring training camps that most sides have .... I would be very surprised if anyone picks him up, perhaps he will end up in USL (the leagues below MLS).

Scotty

The USL have improved greatly in recent years and their pace has quickened. Crowds are quite good (maybe nothing like Toronto and Houston for potential size) and show steady support. Skill levels are also good generally and P .McGuire may have a hard time getting picked up at all since money has also been spent on players already in these teams.The USL season is drawing to a close and he will have to impress in training to be considered a real prospect.

Touche Pimple

I was trying to make the point that the idea of "coming to America" [ie. MLS] because he no longer appears to be good enough for a Scottish League team in any division was not as easy as might be thought. Seems I made a similar assumption/mistake about USL and I will freely admit to not having watched a USL game since TFC came along.

Whether it is the poster or the player who is making the assumption about MLS, the simple fact is that it is no longer just a place for failed professionals or decent players now entering their own personal "twilight" zone. Quality has improved and there are loads of good young players around. Yes there are older players from Europe or South America in some sides, but usually, they have a pedigree of some sort ..... Freddie Ljunberg, David Beckham, Cuauht?moc Blanco, Guillermo Schelotto, Julian De Guzman etc etc etc.

PM could get himself a "roster" spot with some team but he would have to impress .... his designation would be "senior international" as he would be a "foreigner" over the age of 24 and teams only have so many of those coveted spots to make available !

• 2 weeks later...