FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Winning ugly

big man

I am not sure whether I prefer winning ugly or losing with flare, I suppose 3 points justify the means to an end but.........

Whenever hayes got the ball he was closed down by 2 opponents which left somone spare, nobody ever showed up, we seem to have no idea what to do when we had a throw in, we have a static mid field who seem to be better at defending than creating anything in attack. Rooney up front chasing scrapes it goes on, a man of the match who really should have been substituted at half time along with others, on tuesday we played with flair and commitment so what went wrong. It cannot be just the loss of foran. We will be slaughted if we play like that against ross county,

I was a a wee bt surprised at the ref not telling the mrton players to stand back yesterday for the throw ins. The thrower needs to have at least 2 metres of space. You're dead on with Hayes though. 2 players on him all the time. I'd like to see Roy in the midfield alongside Hayes.

I was a a wee bt surprised at the ref not telling the mrton players to stand back yesterday for the throw ins. The thrower needs to have at least 2 metres of space. You're dead on with Hayes though. 2 players on him all the time. I'd like to see Roy in the midfield alongside Hayes.

Nope.

There is no minimum distance required for players to stand back at throws. As long as they don't jump up when it is taken and they are on the pitch they can stand as close to the line as possible.

Nope.

There is no minimum distance required for players to stand back at throws. As long as they don't jump up when it is taken and they are on the pitch they can stand as close to the line as possible.

That is correct, I seem to remember a game in the EPL last year when a player complained about the opposition standing right in front of him and the ref saying exactly what you said. I think he'd be getting a smack in the gob on the follow through if he did it to me.

Was the MotM not Eric Odiambo?

Certainly a strange choice in my eyes as I thought Hayes had a slightly better game despite being closed down by two, sometimes 3 morton players. But I dont think he should have been chopped at half time!

We certainly missed Foran's presence, and up until his goal I dont think Nick Ross even had a touch in the second half. I'd even said to CaleyD (sat next to me) that maybe sanchez should have come on for him, to give Rooney someone else to link up with.

There wasn't much spark from any of the 22 players on the park, and most of this was the game not being allowed to flow... the amount of pointless free-kicks the ref blew up for was unreal, and rarely did he wave play on. He definately liked the sound of his whistle. lol

3 points is 3 points... i'm happy. :tonguecheek:

I am not sure whether I prefer winning ugly or losing with flare, I suppose 3 points justify the means to an end but.........

I know what 99.9% of football fans in the country prefer. Who cares how we win? Weather we win 1-0 or 9-0 its still 3 points at the end of the day. Look at St. Johnstone last season, they didn't exactly win the league in style - no one does. It's just getting out of here that matters.

For me, a wins an added bonus. Putting the league hopes aside for a minute, on the whole, when I watch football I want to be entertained. I want to see a team go out and play with courage and dignity, not shutting up shop and hoping for the best. In football terms, I don't ask for winning football, I ask for entertaining football.

For all those who prefer skill to winning all I can say is you have chosen the wrong sport to follow, perhaps you should take an interest in rhythmic gymnastics or ice dancing or some other sport where results are judged on skill and flair, it may well have escaped you but the aim of football is to put the wee round thing in the back of your opponents net more times than your opponent, not how you put it there.

For all those who prefer skill to winning all I can say is you have chosen the wrong sport to follow, perhaps you should take an interest in rhythmic gymnastics or ice dancing or some other sport where results are judged on skill and flair, it may well have escaped you but the aim of football is to put the wee round thing in the back of your opponents net more times than your opponent, not how you put it there.

Totally agree.

True, but the best managers were the ones who put out on a show for their supporters. The Shankly's, the Ferguson's, the Busby's did that, even Paterson did that. The put out a team for the fans, and why? Because teams aren't successful without a good support and the more you put in, what you get out. We need more people with this mindset in football, because a team that don't entertain supporters have little to no future.

Edited by Renegade

In football terms, I don't ask for winning football, I ask for entertaining football.

I see your point exactly, and in any football match not involving ICT I hope for exactly the same. I go to Inverness games more for the team than the football if that makes any sense. It's just with Inverness games, I go for the feeling we get when we score and the hope that we can get a positive result by any means. Obviously I would prefer entertaining football, but I just don't look for it while supporting Inverness.

At the end of the day the team had to be knackered with the morton being their third game in the week. Even the teams with big squad tend to suffer with lots of games so close together. A wins a win and look at any championship winning team, they all had games that were ugly but they won them. I say winning ugly is a sign of champions but that may be wishful thinking

I want the best of both worlds but I'll take the three points from an ugly win anyday over an entertaining loss.

In the words of the late great Mick Jagger "You can't always get what you want, you can't always get what you want, you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need!"

It's not as if we've played bad all season ffs, 1 essential game which has put us only 3 points behind Dundee.

We played Dundee off the park in the challenge cup and 2 weeks ago but still didn't come out with a result... is anyone actually telling me they would prefer that? I think some of our fans need a reality check... we were dead and buried at Christmas and now find ourselves with the best form in the division, the best goals ratio and in with a real shout of promotion.

The reality check comes this Saturday at Dingwall. Play like that again and our season will be in tatters. Of course ugly wins win titles. Yes we won the game, but against a do or die County side last weekends offering will not be good enough. They are now on a high having outplayed Hibs and we are coming off the back of a scrambling win over a struggling Morton.

I know which camp will be the happier.

The reality check comes this Saturday at Dingwall. Play like that again and our season will be in tatters. Of course ugly wins win titles. Yes we won the game, but against a do or die County side last weekends offering will not be good enough. They are now on a high having outplayed Hibs and we are coming off the back of a scrambling win over a struggling Morton.

Don't think I've ever heard you so negative Manny

I wasn't at the game and by all accounts it sounds like we were brutal to watch but that is the sort of game we would have lost earlier in the season. 3 points are 3 points, we're touching distance of the top of the league now, which comes with it's own pressure. The idea of playing pretty football has to go out of the window because it's all about who can scrape together the most points than the other

I'm sure on the last day of the season, if promoted, no one is going to be complaining about how poorly we played against Morton.

It is a massive, massive game for both and could decide who gets to challenge faltering Dundee for the title.

County probably will start as favourites, but that could backfire on them. If we can re-produce the form we showed at Dundee.... Who knows?

I'd be quite happy with even an ugly draw here..... at least it would keep us in the hunt.

Overall i thought we played well in patches - Foran was a big miss as he links up well with Rooney

Rooney was left to win the headers and knock on's thus leaving the forwards position for Eric to get into ( I dont think he did that ) He has some good touches but he wont track back and make a tackle - Young Ross needs more games and confidence to take on players and at least he made the effort to be in the right place to follow up on Rooneys strike. Really thought Eric would have made way for Danni at half time - the team were crying out for someone to put there foot on the ball.

But 3 points is great. And Im glad the lads have no game during the week they really looked tired towards the end of the match. Well done to the team and the Management 3 more points on the board and roll on Saturday

Come on Caley I believe

With the winner playing Celtic at Prkhead and a big payday( and possibly a shock win) county's players will have tuesdays replay with Hibs big on the mind, forget all the crap from Adams about only concentrating on the next game, the fans and players will be looking at tuesday in greater anticipation than saturday.

Totally different set of circumstances Manny, so many variables, were Morton up for it against us? did their manager put flair aside to shut the game down and try to grind out a result? if so is it possible that Butcher's tactics could have won us that match by managing the players in a way that they broke down Morton's tactics? Did Hibs views C*unty as an easy tie and the result reflected the fact? Did C*unty want their match more than Hibs?

The way I see it is that we have been beaten well twice by C*unty this season but at a time when our players were adjusting to a new division and new team mates I am confident that our team have learned from this, that our players will know exactly how this fixture should be played now. I am not saying it will be easy but I do expect a stronger fight from our boys this time round.

As for the moral side of it, C*unty may well have pulled off a huge result in the cup but their moral has been flying high for the season, our moral has a good bit of momentum behind it and it's growing at a far faster rate than the wee boost C*unty got, the players must be beginning to believe now in the same way that the mood of the fans (visible on these forums) has lifted, I believe our players will come out on Saturday confident but not to the point of overconfidence knowing what to expect and what is needed.

BRING ON THE C*UNTY

With the winner playing Celtic at Prkhead and a big payday( and possibly a shock win) county's players will have tuesdays replay with Hibs big on the mind, forget all the crap from Adams about only concentrating on the next game, the fans and players will be looking at tuesday in greater anticipation than saturday.

Not so sure about that.... a cup semi against Celtic is a great wee bonus but promotion to the SPL is bound to be uppermost on their minds.

Fancy the OF avoiding each other in the semi draw. Who would have thought it.

I think Adams and Brewster will be totally focused on Saturday's game with us.