FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Who really believed

stevico1

I am first to admit that when Dundee were 12 points clear I thought we had no chance, I didn't think the team was good enough and I didn't think the management team was good enough, I was way of the mark on both things.

Who out there really believed we could pull it back, I am not talking about blind loyalty to the club but really believed? not many I am sure.

Edited by stevico1

I am first to admit that when Dundee were 12 points clear I thought we had no chance, I didn't think the team was good enough and I didn't think the management team was good enough

I'll be the second. I thought it was time to start building for next season.

This season is just getting better every game. I admit I couldn't see any way back but they have proved me wrong big style. Rooney is turning into a terrific centre forward, showing pace, strength, finishing and leads the line brilliantly. There are some big games ahead and at least it is now in our own hands. + 1 for the humble pie :lol:

I think my thread on the non ict forum sums up my thoughts.

It took a month longer than I anticipated due to the weather, but lets not get carried away............

we have won nothing yet

YA FEKKIN BEAUTY

Not me. Jocky Scott was always the biggest danger to them not going up so lets see how they do with Chisolm and Dodds. In the meantime just focus on ourselves and do what we have to do and if we do win it I will be the first to say I was wrong and will happily have a piece of humble pie. So long as it's apple flavoured.

Honest to god, I swear that if you read my posts, I've thought that D'dee would stuff it since last August. I have always said (and still believe) that we will win it. C*unty have too many games, the wheels will come off the van on tuesday. Believe, renegade etc. we are doing this feckin thing.

I didn't. Still don't. But I'm hopeful.

I worded this thread carefully as didn't want to tempt fate , I didn't say who would have believed we would have won the league, I said who would have believed we would catch Dundee which we have.

I have always been of the belief that until it was mathematically impossible for us to win the league it could be done.

However, we were getting very close at one point to the likliehood that it was going to be someone else.

Always have faith.

Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts

1. Dundee 11 6 4 1 16 10 22

2. Ross County 11 6 3 2 15 11 21

3. Q.O.S. 11 6 2 3 21 11 20

4. Partick Thistle 11 5 4 2 19 10 19

5. Raith Rovers 11 5 3 3 14 9 18

6. Inverness CT 11 4 4 3 18 14 16

Ok so as it stands right now, the tables top 6 looks like this. It got me thinking yesterday, that the 1st Div leadership has changed nearly every week, and ICT have remained more or less in the middle. I actually think this is the right place to be. Let County, Dundee, & QOS swap places every week because their focus will be on keeping that top spot and less on who is coming up behind them. They seem to be playing all out for this spot and they will tire eventually.

ICT have a Jeckyll & Hyde problem yes, but with yesterdays win and hopefully wins against Morton, County & Airdrie; this could be the run of wins we need to maintain a strong challenge for the league come the end of the season.

I dont believe its as bad as some of us think.

I posted this in October last year and while im not a " I told you so" person, I have to say in answer your question- yes i believed. ICT were right to just sit it out in the middle and watch the the rest fight it out over the top spot each week I think Ritchie Foran mentioned this in the P&J last week after the QOS game.

Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts

1. Dundee 11 6 4 1 16 10 22

2. Ross County 11 6 3 2 15 11 21

3. Q.O.S. 11 6 2 3 21 11 20

4. Partick Thistle 11 5 4 2 19 10 19

5. Raith Rovers 11 5 3 3 14 9 18

6. Inverness CT 11 4 4 3 18 14 16

Ok so as it stands right now, the tables top 6 looks like this. It got me thinking yesterday, that the 1st Div leadership has changed nearly every week, and ICT have remained more or less in the middle. I actually think this is the right place to be. Let County, Dundee, & QOS swap places every week because their focus will be on keeping that top spot and less on who is coming up behind them. They seem to be playing all out for this spot and they will tire eventually.

ICT have a Jeckyll & Hyde problem yes, but with yesterdays win and hopefully wins against Morton, County & Airdrie; this could be the run of wins we need to maintain a strong challenge for the league come the end of the season.

I dont believe its as bad as some of us think.

I posted this in October last year and while im not a " I told you so" person, I have to say in answer your question- yes i believed. ICT were right to just sit it out in the middle and watch the the rest fight it out over the top spot each week I think Ritchie Foran mentioned this in the P&J last week after the QOS game.

Yep I mind that league table post now.

Think Wilsononourwing might have beleived for some reason...

Mr Butcher and Mr Malpas for what it is worth I BELIEVE we can still win the league with the current squad (maybe we could do with a few loan signings though).

Dundee IMO are not any better than us and infact overall I think we deserved to have taken a lot more from the games we played against them. Dundee have an interesting month coming up:

Sun Jan 17 Dunfermline Athletic H

Sat Jan 23 Queen of the South A

Sat Jan 30 Ross County H

All these teams are capable of taking points of Dundee and I am certain they will. After we beat County on Saturday I am positive we will get a full nine points from the next 3 games.

Sat Jan 2 Ross County H

Sat Jan 16 Morton A

Sat Jan 23 Airdrie United A

Sat Jan 30 Partick Thistle H

I predict that come the end of January we will be 6 points behind Dundee and building up momentum to mount a serious challenge. When we are at our best we are the best team in this league we just require a little consistency.

C'MON THE CALEY (THISTLE)

I believed and I still believe!!!!

I didn't believe we would do it. There seemed to be too many things stacked against us: the level of investment in Dundee, the fact that no team has bounced straight back to the SPL after relegatrion for about a decade, and the fact that Butcher tried to overhaul the team quite substantially at the start of the new season. I still don't quite see us as favourites to go up, although that might change if we beat County on Tuesday, but whtaver happens I think the team and management have already exceeded my fairly low expeectations for this season.

Always thought we were capable if we could get the team playing as a unit and with a bit of fire in their bellies. I had wondered if that had taken a little longer than hoped for and we'd left ourselves with too much work to be done, but it would appear not and whilst still very "nervous" the team fill me with more and more confidence every game.

Guest Mahonio

I believed that we would go back to the SPL from the day after our relegation because i put a bet on with a golf member at Thurso Golf Club to the sum of ?30 that we would go up, but that doesn't answer the OPs question?

I probably believed after the new year that we would catch Dundee but more,so once they lost to Airdrie because they had lost a lot of confidence.

Based on the statistics that relegated teams don't usually come back up to the SPL at the first attempt, I didn't believe we would have any great hope of promotion. Also, based on our awful football and careless defending in the earlier part of the season, I never thought we would ever catch Dundee let alone overtake them.

Beating R*ss C**nty on Tuesday is crucial. That would be a real achievement as it would knock the stuffing out of their League hopes.

I didn't believe we would do it. There seemed to be too many things stacked against us: the level of investment in Dundee, the fact that no team has bounced straight back to the SPL after relegatrion for about a decade, and the fact that Butcher tried to overhaul the team quite substantially at the start of the new season. I still don't quite see us as favourites to go up, although that might change if we beat County on Tuesday, but whtaver happens I think the team and management have already exceeded my fairly low expeectations for this season.

I'm going to be ?20 richer at the end of the season Alternative Maryhill! Hopefully you'll be handing me a crisp purple note away at Ayr...

I'm going to be ?20 richer at the end of the season Alternative Maryhill! Hopefully you'll be handing me a crisp purple note away at Ayr...

If we win the league at Ayr I'll have the ?20 served to you on a bed of black rose petals in a diamond-encrusted casket, and be happy to do so...