FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

New Skipper

Sorted

As i said on the Rumour mill thread i think this is the right choice as Richie is a better leader and Granty will probably play better without the pressure of captaincy.

I may have said this before but in Europe the captaincy has no real importance and is usually bestowed uopn the oldest or most experienced player. Its only really in the UK that it seems to mean so much.

I may have said this before but in Europe the captaincy has no real importance and is usually bestowed uopn the oldest or most experienced player. Its only really in the UK that it seems to mean so much.

Whilst it is true that on the continent, the captaincy is not such a big deal (in fact it is said that in Italy the players meet up in the dressing room and decide themselves), in this country it seems to have more influence. As I said in the other thread, I think Grant Munro is a good player and played well throughout last season, but for me he was not and never has been a captain. In all the games I went to last season (which was every home league game, a couple of cup games and the two Dingwall Derbys), I say him shouting...............once. ICT have not had a real captain since Darren Dods left, though I believe that Richie Foran is a good choice and will lead ICT passionately and decisively next season.

Whilst it is true that on the continent, the captaincy is not such a big deal (in fact it is said that in Italy the players meet up in the dressing room and decide themselves), in this country it seems to have more influence. As I said in the other thread, I think Grant Munro is a good player and played well throughout last season, but for me he was not and never has been a captain. In all the games I went to last season (which was every home league game, a couple of cup games and the two Dingwall Derbys), I say him shouting...............once. ICT have not had a real captain since Darren Dods left, though I believe that Richie Foran is a good choice and will lead ICT passionately and decisively next season.

Great idea if we replacing the squad with Dubliners, or teaching the current squad Erse? :bighug:

IMO Captains have very little "on field" responsibility above and beyond that of every other player. Other than tossing the coin and perhaps being the man to relay the instructions from the bench.

Every player out there should be a "leader" in terms of rallying their team mates, pointing out where they're being caught or giving each other a kick in the butt when needed. This comes more naturally to some will stand out more than others and appear to us as more of a natural choice for the armband.

It's off the park that the Captains duties tend to lie more these days. They have to be a "Player Rep", a public face and a bit more of a club ambassador than perhaps is expected of the rest. In that regard it's perhaps better having someone who has been around the houses a bit more, seen what happens at other clubs, knows more people and is generally better known over a larger geographical area.

Whilst an interview with Grant might grab the interest of those who read the local press, an interview with Foran will command a wider audience and might just grab us a few more column inches. "Local Lad Done Good" suddenly starts appearing in the Irish papers as opposed to just the Courier, Highland News and P&J, Forans name catches the attention of people at clubs he used to play for etc. People then become more aware of ICT, other players become more aware of ICT and it all helps improve our image/profile and perhaps play a part in tempting players up here who would otherwise have not even considered it.

We're moving back up to the SPL under a Manager who is more worldly wise than any we've had before and all the above needs to be taken in to consideration. Things change and we seem to be learning to adapt to those changes in a proactive fashion.....long may that continue.

I thought I had better copy on here what I have just written on the Rumour Mill thread which was.....

I seem to have misunderstood the situation here. I had heard this story so often about the town, including from 100% reliable sources, over the preceding three or four days that I actually assumed that it had already been done by somebody else and I had missed it so I thought I had better play catch up with a brief line this morning. However it has since emerged that it was simply a case of a story which was in wide public circulation but had not yet reached the media. If I had known that I might have waited since they might have preferred to release it officially.

I wouldn't criticise Munro at all - he's been a great servant to the club - but I think it makes sense to have the captain in a midfield role where he can influence the entire team and is more likely to be in a position to share a few words with players as and when required. Separate from the captain's role you need a leader in defence to ensure the back four play as a unit. There is no reason Munro can't continue to do that and arguably he would do it better without the added responsibility of being captain.

Foran would be my choice - provided he agrees to extend his contract!

Perhaps another thing to note. It seems to be the case a lot of the time that some of the best captains have streak of ruthlessness and passion about them. People like Butcher, Keane and Oliver Kahn come to mind. I reckon Foran has a bit of that too.

On another note, does anyone feel that some other players may look down on this decision. Perhaps a couple of renegade players may feel that it's favouritism on Butcher's part, after all, he does seem very fond of him and seems to be one of his favourites. I'm not sure though.

AHA! Finally something a rumour that i get correct, =D Hell Yeah!!! And more than happy for Richie to be captain, =D

As long as Granty left by his own free will and wasn't pushed out, but if he did get pushed out, could this be a hint that he is POSSIBLY leaving?

IMO Captains have very little "on field" responsibility above and beyond that of every other player. Other than tossing the coin and perhaps being the man to relay the instructions from the bench.

He always seems to me to lose the toss 9 times out of 10.

Guess that makes him a useless to$$er!

:lol: