FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Punching above our weight?

Guest birdog

Punching above our weight or under rated?  

120 members have voted

1. 1.

• Punching above our weight
    • Under rated

Watching Scotsport last night and having heard it a few times before, the general concensus is that we are "punching above our weight"

Thoughts please.

Punching above our weight at the moment IMO, not because of our style of play but because of the size of our club.  I think eventually we will be up to scratch but this wont happen until we get ourselves sorted outside of the football pitch, shop merchandising, stadium etc...

standard of play though we have earnt the right to be where we are at the moment!!

Watching Scotsport last night and having heard it a few times before, the general concensus is that we are "punching above our weight"

Thoughts please.

The sooner people accept that we are an established prem league club the sooner we will get rid of this tag. OK our players do not get paid the riches of some other clubs but the majority seem happy with their lot. Maybe it's the so called top clubs that are failing to achieve!

I think our problem is going to be in future years when CC has to replace some of our "over-achievers" with players of similar or better ability.

We have only just missed out on the top 6 two years in a row and we are now sitting 5th. How can it be viwed as punching above our weight for that long a time? If were continually around this position the players must obviously be good enough which just means other are under-rating us. Theres no reason why we cant finish 4th this season which would prob bring a european place

It was that f*d Andy walker who uttered the 'punching above our weight' line after been given a hard time by John Colquhoun for predicting ICT would be relegated this year

Well if Andy Walker said it then it must be true!  :006:  :015:

The man is a first glass gimp.

Incidentally, I don't think we are punching above our weight or are under rated. We are doing just fine. I like us just getting on with the job in hand and winning games. Who cares about coverage in the press? So long as the team are winning that's the main thing.

In terms of the pay structure and the "lower" level class of player the club has the ability to attract there is, IMO, no doubt it is punching above its weight.  We are sitting in a good position at the moment and have performed well in the previous 2 seasons but this can not be taken for granted and we can in no way feel the club is a natural mid-table side.  That right will have to be fought hard for every game and every season.

I'm very happy for this club to punch above its weight if it means that we stay in the spl and finish as high as it can.

I dislike this term, it is terribly condescending :008:

We are what we are, a mid table SPL team whether others like it or not :010:

Put up or shut up, thats what I say :003:

No we are not. We are now on a par with any of the teams below us, barring maybe Aberdeen and Hibs. Just like all the others we are a mid table team with aspirations to achieve good cup runs and a top six finish. Unlike the others we dont have the big debts around our necks.

As you can all see I'm back again. Drank all the Keo brandy in Cyprus to celebrate stuffing the Huns.

Andy Walker is a fanny...  what do you expect?

As for this 'punching above our weight' thing, the pundits are basing this on our club size and assumimg that a 'wee' club cannot sustain this level because we pay our players the lowest salaries.

It might just occur to the media that pay does not guarantee performance, just look at Dundee Utd over the last 3-4 years!

To the extent that we are bottom of the league in terms of turnover, average crowds and playerers wage bill yet far from botom of the league we can be fairly described as punching above our weight.

Agreed

I'll admit I was fuming when I heard Andy (toss pot) Walker say it on Scotsport but in a way he is right.  I think we have the bit between our teeth because we are thought of as underdogs and we would maybe struggle if it was any different.