FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT -V- Celtic : Matchnight Thread

Scotty

From what I watched, Celtic dominated possesion in first half especially but hardly tested Esson, in fact we probably had the better chances. We seemed to give them a bit too much respect first half, defending deep, but second half was much better.

Great save from Forster to deny Sutherland, who thought had a good game. We came close on a few other occasions but didn't really get a break.

We've seen some dodgy referees of late but tonights seemed to know what he was doing, making sure Celtic got through. Samaras was playing basketball, free kick for their second looked dodgy and he was having none of giving our spot kick until the linesman intervened.

Would have liked to have seen Hayes and Doran on longer plus Macdonald but anyway there's always next year!

Poor defending cost us dearly. Ledley was given so much time & space for the first it beggars belief. Did he get the 2nd as well? Whoever it was had a free header as we played musical statues.

A defenders stupidity gave them the free kick in the first place

I'd have hoped we might have gone hell for leather to get an equaliser with 20 minutes to go but it wasn't to be and in the end we went out with a whimper. From what I watched on Celtic TV we weren't given the chance. We brought Hayes on and they had three to mark him.

Thought Duncan was immense in midfield tonight (and was my MOTM), Esson bar one dodgy clearance was his usual reliable self, Rooney put in a hell of a shift with little support & Foran had a very good spell in the second half.

I thought most of the team played very well but they were far better at keeping and controlling the ball though they weren't really that good in the last third.

Unfortunately we also had Stuart Duff in our team and he was rank rotten. How he gets picked week in week out is a mystery. If he's not passing to the opposition he's passing it out of the park. :irritated: Who do you replace him with?? IMO the option is even worse.

What has Butcher said by the way? All I've heard on the radio is Chick interviewing the entire Celtic team in turn!! Par for the course

All in all we were not disgraced

just heard terry's interview very unhappy that the defender didnt go for the penalty and then very unhappy for the free kick to celtics winner and he talks about the top players going down to easily well from what i saw it was same old celtic but que sara we werent disgraced and another night richie would have buried that sitter in the 1st and sutherlands shot wouldnt have been tipped round so i think we did show that we can match with the best just wasnt our night

I'd just like to clarify a couple of questions regarding Radio Scotland coverage tonight.

As someone stated pre match, midweek and Sunday football is almost always medium wave only because it's not realistic to take over the FM frequencies as well since there are listeners other than football fans to consider. This meant live commentary from Inverness and updates from Pittodrie.

On the other hand from 1200 to 7pm on Saturdays, all frequencies are dedicated to football so Radio Scotland can actually go out on no fewer than FIVE different threads in various places - commentary on 810 medium wave, Open All Mics on 103.5-105FM, another commentary on 92-95FM, Caley Thistle games on 92-95 in the Highlands and Islands and Aberdeen games on 92-95 in the Grampian area. The only exceptions are rare such as 6 Nations Rugby and the Camanachd Cup Final.

At some points on Sunday afternoon you can get what 810 is producing but in better quality on 103.5-105FM. However David Begg is very likely to be replaced by Gaelic psalm singing at some point since it's their frequency when they have programming on air.

The cause of the loss of commentary tonight was that the power socket in the radio area blew. This was possibly because someone further along in the stand had overloaded that circuit with a high power electric heater. The club were right on the ball and produced a duty electrician very quickly indeed but the fastest solution was to run an extension cable into the press box to take power from a socket in there which was unaffected.

just heard terry's interview very unhappy that the defender didnt go for the penalty and then very unhappy for the free kick to celtics winner and he talks about the top players going down to easily well from what i saw it was same old celtic but que sara we werent disgraced and another night richie would have buried that sitter in the 1st and sutherlands shot wouldnt have been tipped round so i think we did show that we can match with the best just wasnt our night

No luck at all and a p1sh ref to boot. Can't understand why the Sellic defender wasn't even booked never mind sent off for giving away the penalty. :irritated: :irritated:

It would be easy to blame the weak referee and all of the soft free kicks he awarded at the Celtic end for tonights result but this is starting to become a bad habit. The reality is we were the architects of our own downfall. Both of Ledleys goals were gifts from our makeshift defense. Highland league marking.

Tactically we sat deep and seemed content to hoof the ball into empty space rather than try to construct a move for the majority of the match. When you make no effort to pass the ball or get men forward you don't deserve to win. I would rather 'we have a go' in a home game vs Celtic in the Scottish Cup quarter final and make a spectacle of it rather than play an ultra-defensive lineup and negative, scrappy football. For sure the players worked hard but for ?21 I would have preferred a bit more positive attacking football from us. Just found the game to be a bit of an anti-climax, meh. :getmecoat:

• Agree 3

2 - 1 to Celtic was a fair enough reflection of the match. Celtic were the better side but we certainly had our chances to win despite being far from our best. I felt we should have pressured more - we gave Celtic too much time on the ball and were probably fortunate that they didn't make better use of their possession.

Esson - Solid as usual

Duff - Skinned with regularity in the first half but better in the 2nd.

Tokely - best defender

Hogg & Munro - reasonably solid performances

Lee Cox - worked his socks off but lost possession too often

Nick Ross - struggled to day. Would have like to see him off earlier and Jonny on earlier. .

Russell Duncan my MOTM by a clear margain. Terrific effort for a full 90 minutes.

Sutherland - Another encouraging performance and unlucky not to score.

Rooney disappointing apart from a well taken spot kick

Foran - an enigma. Some great contributions, a terrible miss and spells when he looks as though he couldn't be bothered.

Hayes -didn't have much time and whilst he didn't do much he was surrounded by green and white when he got the ball which helped create space for others

Doran - Not on longe enough and hardly got a touch

Lets hope the team can lift themselves for the Dundee Utd match. Top 6 is still possible but we will probably need to play better than we did tonight.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

It would be easy to blame the weak referee and all of the soft free kicks he awarded at the Celtic end for tonights result but this is starting to become a bad habit. The reality is we were the architects of our own downfall. Both of Ledleys goals were gifts from our makeshift defense. Highland league marking.

Tactically we sat deep and seemed content to hoof the ball into empty space rather than try to construct a move for the majority of the match. When you make no effort to pass the ball or get men forward you don't deserve to win. I would rather 'we have a go' in a home game vs Celtic in the Scottish Cup quarter final and make a spectacle of it rather than play an ultra-defensive lineup and negative, scrappy football. For sure the players worked hard but for ?21 I would have preferred a bit more positive attacking football from us. Just found the game to be a bit of an anti-climax, meh. :getmecoat:

yes no much trouble for both keepers, poor defending by us for the 2 goals, just seen on sky also was it me or was the "foul;" for the free kick that lead to the 2nd goal just by the corner flag as the free kick was from a much better angle, although had we actulaay defended it they should not have scored,

lets hope we can make the top six , after such a good start to the season would be a shame if we did not

From the radio commentey it sounded like a 2-1 was about right. From how they reacted to forans miss you could tell just how close it was and that he should have scored. Seemed as though there was a good effort but just letting celtic have to much time on the ball and not pressuring them hard enough. If you pressure teams like celtic then they dont settle into the rhythm they like and its easier to play them. Think doran and hayes should have been brought on soon after celtics 2nd goal to give them the chance to make an impact.

Now we can focus on the league and i just hope the team works there socks off to try and break into the top 6.

• Disagree 1

Unfortunately we also had Stuart Duff in our team and he was rank rotten. How he gets picked week in week out is a mystery. If he's not passing to the opposition he's passing it out of the park. :irritated:

He's been rank rotten since we signed him.

While Celtic had the bulk of the possession, actual chances were fairly even and that's whatfootball is about creating chances. Feel that if we had got to half time 1-0 up, it may have been different. Referee was again clueless last night and very few decisions went our way from simple but blatant fouls to big ones like

Why was no Celtic player at least booked for the fould for the penalty - accoring to P & J today, neither Ref nor linesman could identify who it was which is incredible. Referee only awarded penalty on say so of linesman. The fould that led to Celtic's second goal was a complete joke, and for Duff to get booked for it was also incredible given some of the fouls Celtic committed/got away with. Yes the defending was poor but if no free kick, as we had won the ball back, no gaol from that situation. We are definately not getting any breaks from referees and I honestly think the referee did potentially cost us, if not the game, than at least a draw that night. I really felt cheated by what happened and if i hear another Celtic fan moan about referees again, I will deck them!

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

I'am proud of the effort we gave last night.

We went out there with a very make-shift team and gave it our all, created chances and did our best to take advantage of what little scraps we got. At the end of the day we were up against the best players in the league and while they didn't play well it does show the measure of a team when they win ugly.

Very unhappy with the ref. Was a clear penalty and red card, got the first bit right with the help of his linesman but Foran was bearing down on goal, letter of the law is a red card. Some will argue that Celtic got all the free kicks and decisions. I agree with this but have to say if we let this affect the way we play all the time then we are heading for trouble. All i will say we got wrong at the back was panicky clearences and poor marking, get it sorted on the training ground.

Top marks for Foran who played out of skin till he was running on empty, Esson for some great handling and the save from Ledley and Shane who despite being played out wide (again) gave 100%, showed some great ability and was unlucky not to score a stunning goal.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Good to see a Union Jack in the home end last night celebrating our colours of Red,White and Blue. The lads in section G actually ran the idea past me last week and I agreed would be a good way for them to show their support for ICT.

That was really good of you to grant permission to the lads

• Agree 1

Good to see a Union Jack in the home end last night celebrating our colours of Red,White and Blue. The lads in section G actually ran the idea past me last week and I agreed would be a good way for them to show their support for ICT.

:frustrated01:

In case anyone is halfwitted enough to forget, our colours are blue, white, black & red at least one of which doesn't appear in any union jack I've seen. it may appear in a more juvenile version, don't know but give me saltires any day. Good game, not a "2-0 bad feeling" about this one. Thought that ICT gave as much as they could, but that back 4 is always going to be vulnerable as the makeshift full backs are always out of position (as opposed to just being rank rotten) Duff is a midfielder and has to be judged as such. Duncan was immense, he must have been hoarse after the roasting he gave the ref on innumerable occasions. Nick Ross was impressive and Foran was equal to them. I felt a bit for Hayes, his lack of games showed and saturday might be a better platform for him. Onwards and (hopefully) upwards.

• Agree 1

. Duncan was immense, he must have been hoarse after the roasting he gave the ref on innumerable occasions. Nick Ross was impressive and Foran was equal to them. I felt a bit for Hayes, his lack of games showed and saturday might be a better platform for him. Onwards and (hopefully) upwards.

:ponder: not sure about that.. i thought the game mostly passed him by, he made a couple of runs and took the wrong turn at the end and got muscled off the ball, he also looks like he's lost some pace?

Duncan and Foran were our best performers, and a great pity for Shans excellent shot.

• Agree 1

See if you disagreed? Would you have told them to jog on, and they would have had to spend the rest of the film, angling for your approval, with the ultimate result being the death, or severe disablement of one of the 'little uns' after a rouge stadium safety officer goes 'rag'? You will then realise how your image as a terrace leader has had a massive influence on the section G yoof, and now your newfound desire to steer the rest of the lads away from trouble will lead to a doubting of your newly chosen path, the break up of a relationship, and, sadly, your banishment from section G, for the rest of the season.

Thank Danny Dyer you gave it the ok.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

See if you disagreed? Would you have told them to jog on, and they would have had to spend the rest of the film, angling for your approval, with the ultimate result being the death, or severe disablement of one of the 'little uns' after a rouge stadium safety officer goes 'rag'? You will then realise how your image as a terrace leader has had a massive influence on the section G yoof, and now your newfound desire to steer the rest of the lads away from trouble will lead to a doubting of your newly chosen path, the break up of a relationship, and, sadly, your banishment from section G, for the rest of the season.

Thank Danny Dyer you gave it the ok.

I thought IHE was the leader of the section G yoof ?