County in the SPL ?

Scotty

Was reading an interview on the Beeb today .... which was posted a few days ago, and in it Roy MacGregor said that all they need at Viccy Park to make it to the SPL if they win SFL1 is to add more seats .....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/15744488.stm

"We need to to put another 2500 seats in at the away end terracing and to alter the jail end terracing. It is not a big job. It will not be difficult. It would take 10-12 weeks to bring it up to 6500 seats if we did it. Everything else complies in the stadium, like the floodlights and everything else, to the criteria, but we don't have enough seats."

This made me wonder when they added things like under-soil heating, when the power of the floodlights was brought up to SPL standards and whether or not they have all their ducks in a row regarding club licensing ?

Its not meant to be a County-bashing thread, I genuinely wonder these things as I cant remember them being talked about, especially USH when all those games were being postponed in the last couple of seasons.

Even if those are all in place, I think he may be underestimating the task of upgrading a ground with a seating capacity of 2590 to 6000+

They don't have undersoil heating, I'm sure I read that that was another thing they need to install. With the seats they have to build a stand at the away terracing, where there is plenty of space and seat the jail end, which would look awful!

But suposedly the plans have been in place for a while and they are just waiting for the time to implement them.

My understanding from quite a few years ago when Peter Swanson was in charge of County's property interests was that they had organised things so that VP could be upgraded in a timescale of weeks for a small 7 figure sum to the 6000 requirement.

I am hoping to be through there tomorrow (unless the shinty decider is switched to Kingussie which means I'll have to go there) and this is a question I will be asking.

Presumably a few weeks' groundsharing at TCS would sort the problem should the eventuality arise.

But let's not cross bridges (if you pardon that pun in relation to Ross County) before we come to them.

But I wish County all the best in their quest for SPL status. Two Highland clubs in the SPL would be two fingers up to the central belt as far as I am concerned.

I don't have a problem with them getting to the SPL. If they continue playing like they are, and are top of the table at the end of the season then they will have thoroughly deserved it.

My curiosity was just peaked when the answer seemed so blasé .... "we'll bung a few seats in, it wont take long, and we'll be good to go !" when we all know from the Caley Thistle experience that its a whole lot more complicated (and expensive) than that to get it done ... and once in the top league of your country, the UEFA Club licensing steps up a notch in terms of what you need to have within the stadium and what standard it has to be up to.

Guess if their chairman isn't worried, then it must be ok ... Not sure about the design for the new hospitality boxes though !!!!!

post-2-0-12683900-1321646623_thumb.jpg

• Agree 5

I can't remember were I heard it, but I seem to recollect that there was more problems for County than just the stadium. Something about about the railway bridge not being strong enough to hold SPL size crowds apparently.