FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Rebuild this Summer or Not?

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

With a lot of our current squad out of contract or their loans expiring, do you reckon massive rebuilding is required in the Summer or do you think most of our squad will sign extensions and only minor rebuilding will be required, and also what areas would you like to see strengthened or is it a case of strengthen in all areas where possible?

Tansey, Piermayr, Tade, Esson, Jones, Hayes, Tuffey, Gillet, Tokely, Hogg, and Gnakpa depending on how he plays. I would aim to retain most of those lads that are out of contract.

Proctor can feck off, Billy McKay im really not sure about and Sutherland, Meekings, Doran, Foran, Ross and The Shinnies are under contract for another year so no fear of losing them.

So assuming what i want happens (wishful thinking), that would give us a squad of around 18 at the start of pre season. The obvious areas to begin would be up front and in centre defence. If its possible and depending on how Wigan finish i would love us to get Golobart back similar to what happened with Doran, he would be a tremendous signing to get if we could make him ours. A striker is a must though, we have chopped and changed up front alot as well and i think the best player has been Tade but i think match him with a decent strike partner and he could be even better, but he's gotta be someone with a more all round approach to their game, not just another battering ram.

Of course its possible that not everyone will take an extension so whoever dosent will need to be replaced.

A lot will depend on the pantomime playing out at Ibrox, uncertainty over tv revenues. We may need to lose a couple of players with no-one coming in but it'll be a price worth paying if they go to the wall.

the BBC have an interesting article. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17310468

Its going to cost the Gers either way, they go bust and save cash, then reapply to the SPL board to rejoin, its in the boards interest to allow that to happen, in the meantime there are 11 teams in the SPL, a meeting occurs amongst the SPL clubs and vote to give less money to the top 2 clubs.

Or the Gers cough up and pay their debts.

Motherwell will be playing Champions league football later this year though.

As for our players I think we need a few more wins yet to guarantee SPL football next season.

I don't see a need for to many changes our squad just now I think is really good if we hadn't been ravaged by injuries then we would be higher in the table.

Try naming our best team if all our players were fit.

try to retain our two on loan centre backs, piermayr, Hogg, gillet, should all be tried to re-sign

With shinnie and meetings already signed for next season that leaves us with good cover at the back next season maybe needing 1 more centre back

I'm not sure wether tokely should be kept on though he's not had the best of season butcher will have to make a decision on him wether he believes he has another season in him whatever butcher decideds il back him

Our midfeild and attack should be kept much the same try to re-sign jones and tansey and Hayes with doran and foran signed for next season already we could do with another centre mid and a winger if Hayes decides to move on

Attack re-sign tade, sutherland (if hes out o contract) and maybe McKay I'm still undecided on him though. Try to get another striker in.

But I feel we have a good squad just now and not much needs changed just now

A lot will depend on the pantomime playing out at Ibrox, uncertainty over tv revenues. We may need to lose a couple of players with no-one coming in but it'll be a price worth paying if they go to the wall.

It's taken over 4000 attempts but I'd like to take time to congratulate you on a well made articulate post

I think most clubs may struggle initially after the demise of the Orcs but in time I don't see why Scottish football can't prosper

As for rebuilding I think it has to happen in some shape or form we need to be ready more than ever for next season especially as it looks like the peg sellers are coming up

Dougal

the BBC have an interesting article. http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/17310468

Its going to cost the Gers either way, they go bust and save cash, then reapply to the SPL board to rejoin, its in the boards interest to allow that to happen, in the meantime there are 11 teams in the SPL, a meeting occurs amongst the SPL clubs and vote to give less money to the top 2 clubs.

As for our players I think we need a few more wins yet to guarantee SPL football next season.

Motherwell will be playing in the qualifiers. They will most likely have one game against a team who finished 3rd in Spain, Italy, England etc and get totally pumped!

the BBC have an interesting article. http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/17310468

Motherwell will be playing in the qualifiers. They will most likely have one game against a team who finished 3rd in Spain, Italy, England etc and get totally pumped!

Will they not go into the 2nd qualifying round with the 3rd placed team from England, Spain etc not entering until the 3rd qualifying round?

I disregard what i said about Gnakpa. Unless i see a serious change of form i hope he's gone. He was a complete liability when he came on.

I feel that we have a relatively strong squad and - although I dont agree with them - there will have to be an emphasis on loanees. I actually think that we have the core of a good squad but I remain frustrated by the adherence to a system that does'nt work. Personally I would like to see us a sign an experienced holding midfielder and a target man.

no rebuild we have had alot of injuries keep most of this squad and get back players like andrew shinnie and keep owain tudor jones and get these fit for next season and try and get a proper striker and maybe a few other positions hopefully doran will be back and hayes may stay now that he has tailed off and we can go into next season with optimism oh get golabart back as well

I think the basis of a good squad is there provided we don't have the injury issues that we have suffered all season. I do however think we need to vastly improve our defence, I know there is nothing we can do about it but letting Munro go WAS a huge mistake. Up front is also an issue,.Time after time we have sqandered chances in games. This may be contraversial but I think getting these players in from down south on six month loans is pointless. I would rather we took a chance on guys playing in the lower leagues in Scotland. It seems to work for some other teams, right now the likes of Steven Doris or Gavin Swankie at Arbroath may relish the chance to play in the SPL and could be available depending on their contract status.

I think the basis of a good squad is there provided we don't have the injury issues that we have suffered all season. I do however think we need to vastly improve our defence, I know there is nothing we can do about it but letting Munro go WAS a huge mistake. Up front is also an issue,.Time after time we have sqandered chances in games. This may be contraversial but I think getting these players in from down south on six month loans is pointless. I would rather we took a chance on guys playing in the lower leagues in Scotland. It seems to work for some other teams, right now the likes of Steven Doris or Gavin Swankie at Arbroath may relish the chance to play in the SPL and could be available depending on their contract status.

What?? Like Tade you mean!!!

Tade tries hard and we also signed him knowing he was not a proven goalscorer. I just don't really see the point in having players on six month deals unless we are stuck (which we have been this season).

Edited by Proctor

Surely the idea of "Rebuild this summer" is something that is now a reality for us every season, given that every summer about half our squad will be out of contract, and anyone really good will get better offers elsewhere?

A striker that can score is always the most difficult position. There aren't many strikers that have scored more than Tade that we could have afforded. Possibly Vernon and Heffernan. That's it (and I'm not so sure we could have afforded either of them). Tade, I think, would be a great super-sub. Imagine him coming on after 60 mins, with the defence getting tired. It would be his ideal position - even though players hate it. Hopefully A.Shinnie will be back. I also like McKay and Sutherland but we need someone that our fans deride as someone 'who doesn't do anything, except score goals'.

Not sure who that would be. I'd like to see some scouting on how Rory is progressing. Was only a youngster when he was here. Also, let's have a look at the likes of Rangers and Hearts for some bargains. But it's a tough position to fill.

Someone like El Alagui at Falkirk would be better bet than Rory!! Doubt we'd be able to afford him though

Wouldnt mind El Alagui at all and he is out of contract in the summer but i would imagine he will be littered with offers, though we could offer him the french connection with already having the likes of Gillet and Tade.

Going back to what Proctor said i agree, some of the players down in the lower leagues are terrific and i think given the chance could really make an impression in the SPL. Another player i thought could be of use is Michael MacGowan at Ayr, he tore us apart in the cup game and with Ayr looking likely to go down he may well become available.

kris doolan anyone going by stats here but ten this season for partick nae bad.

or ryan donelly of airdrie, not sure what his contract situation is but think we will need to pay a rather large sum (by our standards) to get him.

and michael mcgowan has also caught my eye in the cups for ayr this seaon. replacment for hayes? (hypothetically speaking).

Glad a few others have mentioned lower league players too, I have to admit the two I mentioned from Arbroath I have only seen bts of (first half of the Rangers game) but their names seem to pop up quite a lot. I don't know how good our scouting system is but they should be worth a look considering they play not far away and seem to be making a bit of noise. Who knows they may see the club as a bit more than a way to get some first team football before dissapearing back to England.

Edited by Proctor

Glad a few others have mentioned lower league players too, I have to admit the two I mentioned from Arbroath I have only seen bts of (first half of the Rangers game) but their names seem to pop up quite a lot. I don't know how good our scouting system is but they should be worth a look considering they play not far away and seem to be making a bit of noise. Who knows they may see the club as a bit more than a way to get some first team football before dissapearing back to England.

Im sure swankie used to play for dundee about 4 seasons ago and he was pretty decent then. Not seen much of him recently but he does seem to be one of arbroaths key players. Good enough for spl though I'm not so sure. If he was free id bring back fox, an alright squad player IMO.

A striker that can score is always the most difficult position. There aren't many strikers that have scored more than Tade that we could have afforded. Possibly Vernon and Heffernan. That's it (and I'm not so sure we could have afforded either of them). Tade, I think, would be a great super-sub. Imagine him coming on after 60 mins, with the defence getting tired. It would be his ideal position - even though players hate it. Hopefully A.Shinnie will be back. I also like McKay and Sutherland but we need someone that our fans deride as someone 'who doesn't do anything, except score goals'.

Not sure who that would be. I'd like to see some scouting on how Rory is progressing. Was only a youngster when he was here. Also, let's have a look at the likes of Rangers and Hearts for some bargains. But it's a tough position to fill.

Admitedly I have only seen our TV games, but from what I've seen leaves me feeling a bit sorry for Tade. He rarely gets the opportunity to create, he doesn't benefit from midfelders making space for him and he spends a great deal of time chasing lost causes. the bloke deserves a medal.

• Agree 1

The club needs to start looking at SFL players rather than just taking on English based frees and loanees. Craig Reid of QOS had a great game in defence in their cup tie at Aberdeen a few weeks ago and is out of contract this summer. Worth a look.

• Agree 1

Admitedly I have only seen our TV games, but from what I've seen leaves me feeling a bit sorry for Tade. He rarely gets the opportunity to create, he doesn't benefit from midfelders making space for him and he spends a great deal of time chasing lost causes. the bloke deserves a medal.

Exactly.....the level of service being provided is ZERO.....he has to run about like a headless chicken, chasing lost causes, and thats what he does...so fair play to him