FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

BBC Derby coverage.

Charles Bannerman

If that is the best BBC can do, it does nothing to promote the Highland Derby throughout the rest of Scotland. I am sure it will be an interesting and entertaining match and deserves better coverage than that.

Typical though it takes the media all it''s time to give out any news at all regarding the Northern Highlands unless it is sensational or negative.

Thankfull for small mercies though at least we will hear up here.

• Agree 2

If that is the best BBC can do, it does nothing to promote the Highland Derby throughout the rest of Scotland. I am sure it will be an interesting and entertaining match and deserves better coverage than that.

Typical though it takes the media all it''s time to give out any news at all regarding the Northern Highlands unless it is sensational or negative.

There is a contract to broadcast rugby on Medium Wave on Friday nights which, as I understand it, pre exists the SPL's introduction of Friday might football. That only leaves 92-95 FM since Radio nan Gaidheal use their frequency at this time as well.

These are the facts - the rest is my personal opinion since I am not in a position to express one on behalf of the BBC. And that opinion is that whilst there is sufficient interest in the Highland derby in the Highland area, it is justifiable to fill the Highland Radio Scotland airwaves completely with sport, these is not sufficient interest in the game throughout the rest of Scotland (and please remmeber a lot of people don't even like sport) to broadcast it there to the exclusion of all else.

(Remembering that the game is also online.)

If you are concerned about only getting (south based?) news about the Highlands that is sensational or negative, you should try the BBC's local bulletins for the Highlands and Islands at 0654, 0750, 1254 and 1654 with shorter summaries at other times - Monday to Friday.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

If you are concerned about only getting (south based?) news about the Highlands that is sensational or negative, you should try the BBC's local bulletins for the Highlands and Islands at 0654, 0750, 1254 and 1654 with shorter summaries at other times - Monday to Friday.

I guess that's why MFR is far more popular than Aunty in these parts.

There is a contract to broadcast rugby on Medium Wave on Friday nights which, as I understand it, pre exists the SPL's introduction of Friday might football. That only leaves 92-95 FM since Radio nan Gaidheal use their frequency at this time as well.

These are the facts - the rest is my personal opinion since I am not in a position to express one on behalf of the BBC. And that opinion is that whilst there is sufficient interest in the Highland derby in the Highland area, it is justifiable to fill the Highland Radio Scotland airwaves completely with sport, these is not sufficient interest in the game throughout the rest of Scotland (and please remmeber a lot of people don't even like sport) to broadcast it there to the exclusion of all else.

(Remembering that the game is also online.)

Charles you Know as well as I do that as long as the Highlands are not publicised Nationwide they will remain in the backwoods. The only way the Highlands are going to prosper is through good publicity and plenty of it. Local bulletines are all well and good but come on it is time to spread the word.

Perfect example tonight, a great game of football that any football fan anywhere would appreciate.

Poor show BBC, audio online only not everyone has facilities to listen to it.

• Agree 1

Personally, I have given up on BBC radio Scotland for sport. The matchday coverage of ICT and other small SPL clubs is nothing short of diabolical. Then they pander to Sevco, giving them the coverage, that should be spent on the major league in the country. MFR for match days for me, or Soccer saturday, or if I have the money, go to the game!

• Agree 3

Amazing how the BBC can shift TV schedules to show a match involving one of Scotlands biggest embarrassments....yet the mere suggestion that the do the same on Radio for an SPL Derby is unthinkable.

Bring on an Independent Scotland and getting shot of the BBC

:tongueincheek:

• Agree 5

Highlights are already on the BBC Sports news website. - wonders will never cease, we don't have to wait for Sunday night tv.

The holdback rules are that any game played on a Saturday can't go up until the Sunday at 6pm, but games played at any other time can go up at Midnight on the day of the game.

ESPN were a little naughty as they had theirs up earlier, and official SPL YouTube channel had them up at midnight on the dot.....BBC were last to get them up.

Highlights are already on the BBC Sports news website. - wonders will never cease, we don't have to wait for Sunday night tv.

The holdback rules are that any game played on a Saturday can't go up until the Sunday at 6pm, but games played at any other time can go up at Midnight on the day of the game.

ESPN were a little naughty as they had theirs up earlier, and official SPL YouTube channel had them up at midnight on the dot.....BBC were last to get them up.

bbc must have read my post and had second thoughts about leaving it any longer !

Here I was in Malta on Friday night, I had taken my small laptop with me on holiday.Sitting on the balcony of my hotel and tuned into Russian Tv I can sit and watch ICT thrash the County, all with a glass of whisky by my side. If only the BBC could provide me with this service?

• Agree 1

being last on sportscene is bad if we werent higher than celtic v hearts then we were higher than the others and arguably that one we were the biggest match this weekend in the spl but who cares really sportscene is crap as all it adds is analysis the actual highlights are same that go up on the website so that is why i never watch it

^ true, whatever happened to post match manager interviews - thats so the Beeb can keep the program short as possible, cutting costs and not infringe on EPL highlights schedule?

SPL coverage has been getting poorer year-on-year - hate to say it but the days of Jim White and Scotsport would be a welcome return :blush:

I see we are last in the BBC Sportscene show tonight.

What's new!

I think that's a bit negative. Didn't they always used to bookend the show with the OF so at least one half of the evil twins would have to watch it?

Ours was generally reported ALL OVER as a great game so some people would look forward to seeing the highlights.

Also in their defence, we had played Friday so it was old news. Same reason Celtic were on first.

I see we are last in the BBC Sportscene show tonight.

What's new!

I think that's a bit negative. Didn't they always used to bookend the show with the OF so at least one half of the evil twins would have to watch it?

Ours was generally reported ALL OVER as a great game so some people would look forward to seeing the highlights.

Also in their defence, we had played Friday so it was old news. Same reason Celtic were on first.

Don't mean to be negative but we always seem to be on last. I need my beauty sleep on Sunday nights you know ! Lol

There is a contract to broadcast rugby on Medium Wave on Friday nights...

There's actually a signed contract for that? Rugby Inc signed a contract for that?

"And he's errr...and it's...oh, goodness, mercy me, the ruck's collapsed...the referee, I think, oh no...I think it's a penalty...a penalty...no it's a free kick...now who was that?(repeat for 80 minutes).

Say what you like about the BBC Scotland football commentary teams, their rugby colleagues make them sound like Henry V on the eve of St Crispen's Day!