FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Red Card Views

I suspect that Thompson will get pelters but I thin that he got it right. According to ESPN Raven has described it as accidental. The replays to me suggest that Dave initially tugged at Vine's shoulder although I thought that there was then a tangle of legs rather than a trip. Some may say that Devine may have recovered but it was a case of the last man and if it was the other way round we would have no complaints.

What irritates me is that it totally changed the game and fer once I felt that TB had been refreshing, innovative and daring in his change of the system and the team selection.

By the way I am posting this at half time as I am not sure if ma feckin ticker will last another 45-50 minutes - cue Smirnoff.

A poor decision from a poor referee. Was Dave the Rave sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity or violent conduct?

Vine was never getting the ball, so quite how it could be classed as a goal scoring opportunity, I will never know. And as for violent conduct, more unlikely than first reason.

Thomson was playing to the watching cameras(as usual) and he thinks we pay our money to watch him. He blew it in Europe at Dortmund v Malaga, and dealt our European hopes a blow today. Cue numerous expletives!!!!

• Agree 1

A clear goal scoring opportunity. A fair red card in my view.

The ball was not fully under control - it was bobbling along on a sh*te pitch. He was running diagonally across goal whereas Meekings (I think) was running directly towards goal and would have cut him off or at the very least put strong pressure on him. To top it off, he was fecking 35-40 yards from goal! 

As someone else mentioned, can people please get it into their head that there is no such rule as last man - completely irrelevant. Clear goalscoring opportunity means exactly that, a CLEAR opportunity to score. It is meant to be for situations where you would expect the player to score not for situations where you have to speculate on what would happen. 

It was never a clear goal scoring opportunity and 9 times out of 10 would have been a yellow card and we, and the St Johnstone fans, would not even be discussing the incident. Vine did the instant strong appeal in the ref's face which I think swayed him but you could see from Vine's expression afterwards that he didn't really expect a red.

Ref's are meant to be 100% sure with a red card. Twenty seconds of discussion with the linesman/4th official and I'm sure they could have come to the general consensus that the chance of scoring from that position was very low.

Edited by hobopete
  • Agree 4

My initial thought was red card but having viewed it on TV now im not so sure. Just really disappointed that any chance we had in the game went away with it. 

Not sure. Dave denied Vine the opportunity to get to the ball. Say he gets to it and unleashes a one-timer with no one but Reguero between him and the goal. Is that a clear goal scoring opportunity or not? So what is a clear goal scoring opportunity? Was OTJ's screamer against Hearts a clear goal scoring opportunity? Not according to the rules. But he scored from it. Had he, however, been fouled before that shot no one would have spoken of a red card.

So I don't complain about the red but wouldn't have called merely a yellow wrong either. The thing I couldn't accept about the scene was that Thompson moved the free kick 10 yards forward!

The fancy needs special care. Ph balancing. Organic soaps and natural sponges. Obviously.

I use that combination every night and everybody knows that I am not a fanny - we could make an Irn Bru commercial out of this starting with a replay of Ravens Red card.

Looking at Raven he walked without arguement when the red came out. However, I do think that, so early in the game, it was a tad harsh. From so far out I couldn't see how it was a goal scoring opportunity so IMO a yellow and free kick would have been enough.

Butcher seems to think now that it was a red card.  I don't think it was - it wasn't a goalscoring opportunity, nor was he the last man (whether that's a rule or not) and I think he went down very easily and was an accident more than anything else.  Not a red card for me, but oh well.

• Agree 1