FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

McBain

Harry Chibber

He has taken some abuse from posters on this forum (me being 1) and to be fair at times he has been anonymous during games but the last 3 I have watched ICT play Falkirk, Mirren & Stirling he IMO has been one of our best players.  I think CC has tried to play him in more of a central role and let Rankin float about coming from the left and it seems to suit both players. 

Against Falkirk McBain was the only player that kept possession in the second half and if it wasn't for him constantly fighting for the ball I fear the result could have been a complete rought.

St Mirren he actually made it to the byline and crossed the ball  :010: with Bayne on stand by to head home, he also seemed to be gaining more confidence and pulling off a few wee flicks which I have never seen from him before.

Stirling, he played wing back, which is not his usual position but he dominated the wing and even managed to get a goal due to his own persistence....

I really think that he is starting to show a lot more confidence is his ability and seems to want the ball when previously he would disappear during games.. keep it up sir!!

McBain's always been a decent player for us, and I think some of the abuse aimed at him is totally unjustified. Yes, there have been certain games where he's been anonymous, but the same can be said for many in the team, and they don't get the abuse that Roy gets.

Saying that, I don't think I've ever seen such a one footed player in my life!! It's very noticable how often Roy turns back onto his left foot, even if that means halting a move. You would think players at this level would have the ability to use both feet to some degree(I know he can use his right as I've seen him do it!).

The bloke does have bags of skill though, and one of the things that does annoy me sometimes with him is that he seems to lack the confidence to take players on.  Often in one on one situations I'm thinking 'Skin him Roy!' but his preferred option seems to be look for someone else.

Personally I think he's far better suited to the centre of midfield, rather than being stuck out on the left, and CC seems to see the same judging by the last few games.

Certainly a player who doesn't get the credit he deserves IMO.

I'm one of those McBain doubters as well, but like the other opinions i must admit he has improved over the last 3 games. If he performs well consistently then by all means he should be in our first 11; but up until those 3 games he's been pretty poor. I say keep him in, playing at centre mid; and if his form deteriorates then bench him for a couple of games. Only fair i think.

I always thought it was a confidence/thinking issue with Roy .... when he started thinking he lost confidence in his own ability.

He is undoubtedly skillful, he is indeed more one-footed than some although he can use both, but there were times watching him even in lower divisions where he seemed to cross an imaginary line about 10 yards over the half way line and then started thinking .... this invariably led to an infield pass or a 180 degree turn rather than going forward. When he kept his head down and looked like he wasnt thinking but just saying "**** it" and going for it he would usually manage to get to the byeline, or cut inside and deliver a decent ball in to the box or to the strikers.

so Roy, as one of my bosses used to say to me .... "Dont think about it, JFDI !!" (just f****** do it).

Just don't rate him at all. Perhaps when he does do something good it stands out all the more because he usually is 'the invisible man'

As I don't go to away games I've only seen him have maybe 2 good games this season - so that's 2 out of 24!!!

Still a lot of people seem to like him and CC obviously does cos he's in the team every week  :006:

• 2 weeks later...