FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The new manager thread

Yngwie

Like everyone else, I didn't want Yogi but some of the negativity and comments on here is ridiculous. You'd think we had appointed Goofy for goodness sake. Give big Yogi a chance, after all he's smarter than the average bear.

200px-Yogi_Bear_Yogi_Bear.png

But in all seriousness all you negative folks take that energy your wasting and fire it behind the team.

• Agree 1

I wanted Hartley (made no secret of that) and whoever passed on the information for todays Courier needs fired...quickly.

Whether we like it or not Yogi will be our new gaffer. Ive had my time to contemplate it and as a fan I feel the right thing to do is to put aside who I wanted and what I think and back him as our new boss. Im pretty baffled that the board have gone for him and can only conclude to some extent that they are settling for him. He would have been a decent appointment if we were still an aspiring mid-table side but we are that no longer. I wouldnt be surprised if he had a decent season with us on this team, its what follows that I will watch with great interest, when he makes his own signings and tries to stamp his own authority into the side. If he tries to change too much too quickly he will be gone before he begins, he will need to be patient. 

To some extent he has suffered from bad luck. Falkirk was his first job and he did well bringing them up and developing players like Scott Arfield, Darren Barr and to an extent the likes of Anthony Stokes, all of whom have become good players, as well as getting them to a final and keeping them in the SPL. Hartlepool was a sinking ship and he was perhaps given a raw deal at Hibs in the end (open to interpretation).

If it goes well then fine, we can look back on this and laugh, if it goes wrong then the board will remember the reception this news got when it first broke out...

• Agree 3

I wanted Hartley (made no secret of that) and whoever passed on the information for todays Courier needs fired...quickly.

Whether we like it or not Yogi will be our new gaffer. Ive had my time to contemplate it and as a fan I feel the right thing to do is to put aside who I wanted and what I think and back him as our new boss. Im pretty baffled that the board have gone for him and can only conclude to some extent that they are settling for him. He would have been a decent appointment if we were still an aspiring mid-table side but we are that no longer. I wouldnt be surprised if he had a decent season with us on this team, its what follows that I will watch with great interest, when he makes his own signings and tries to stamp his own authority into the side. If he tries to change too much too quickly he will be gone before he begins, he will need to be patient. 

To some extent he has suffered from bad luck. Falkirk was his first job and he did well bringing them up and developing players like Scott Arfield, Darren Barr and to an extent the likes of Anthony Stokes, all of whom have become good players, as well as getting them to a final and keeping them in the SPL. Hartlepool was a sinking ship and he was perhaps given a raw deal at Hibs in the end (open to interpretation).

If it goes well then fine, we can look back on this and laugh, if it goes wrong then the board will remember the reception this news got when it first broke out...

This sums it up for me! 

FFS give the man a chance. I seem to remember Butcher getting huge negative comments from fans on here but eventually got plaudits for turning the team around although that took 2 to 3 years. While he may not be the man many wanted, at least it appears he wanted to come here unlike some others.

Truly saddened by some of the negative posts and comments on this appointment.

• Agree 4

Good luck Yogi and welcome to the ~Highlands. Let's maybe judge the boy after he's been here a while eh even if he isn't most people's first choice (not mine I must admit). The Butcher thread prior to his appointment suggests the board have a better track record at choosing managers than us posters.

Who knows, it could all go tits up but it might, just might now, be a great appointment but we will only be able to see that when he has put his mark on the team. By all accounts he is a top bloke and deserves a chance.

• Agree 1

I think Hughes is a very nice guy, I'm just very disappointed we've joined the merry go round of idiots.

I don't feel that he's the right fit for our club but I genuinely will be delighted to eat these words.

I will be at the game on Saturday cheering the team on.

An absolutely inexplicable appointment from our esteemed board. In some ways you've got to take your hat off to them for managing to assemble an international array of stellar managerial talent (their words not mine) and then contrive to appoint the hapless Yogi. Way to go guys.

Let's be brutally frank here, Yogi has done absolutely NOTHING in his career to warrant making even the short list for a club sitting second in the SPFL. Undeniable fact of the matter - anyone suggesting otherwise is deluding themselves.

I personally await tomorrow's press conference with the excitement of my kids on Christmas Eve. I'm not sure what I'm looking forward to more; Yogi's oratorial master class or Kenny Cameron's attempts to roll this turd of an appointment in glitter.

Good times..........

• Agree 4

Don't mistake disappointment for disloyalty. Of course I'll be at the next game and of course I'll get behind the team as much as ever. I sincerely hope Hughes makes me eat my words! I just can't hide my disappointment at the decision, which I find uninspiring. Over to you, Yogi!

Edited by PerfICT
  • Agree 5

Don't know if mentioned before but IF Yogi was appointed at the time Butcher was, who`s to say he wouldn't have been a success.

I didn't think that Butcher was  a good move at the time but it worked out.

He will be more experienced than TB was. 

I doubt we'd have the likes of Warren, Draper, Tremarco, Raven etc who are English guys of the age where they would have grown-up idolising Butcher.

If our manager had been a man-of-many-clubs Scotsman called Butch Terry, they probably wouldn't be here.

I'm sorry but I simply don't understand how you think John Hughes has more managerial experience than Terry Butcher. That's simply factually incorrect.

We can try as we like to put a sugar-coating on this, but nobody a month ago would have swapped the status-quo. Plus he had no backing in the 'Who do you want?' thread.

Rewind a month. Would anybody seriously have dared start a thread entitled "Time to get rid of Butcher, Malpas and Marsella. Bring in John Hughes!!!"

It would have been treated as a joke and you'd have been mocked for suggesting such utter nonsense.

Jeez, the end is nigh!!!    The board of ICT have interviewed the applicants they wished to talk too, they have decided for the way ahead for ICT to select John Hughes, they knew best to pick Butcher, Yogi obviously came across as the one with all the right answers, and if that's what they wanted that's ok by me.

Will you have a coffee and suck in some fresh air and calm down! 

• Agree 4

Jeez, the end is nigh!!!    The board of ICT have interviewed the applicants they wished to talk too, they have decided for the way ahead for ICT to select John Hughes, they knew best to pick Butcher, Yogi obviously came across as the one with all the right answers, and if that's what they wanted that's ok by me.

Will you have a coffee and suck in some fresh air and calm down!

Best post of the day by far!

I wonder what the Board saw in him?

Supports open attacking football. Now will this be too big a change for our support?

Plays football on the deck. Is this a problem for the fans?

Brings through young local talent. Maybe our fans would rather have English talent.

Uses swearie words to encourage the team and ... Heaven Forbid.. even sometimes to the sweetie rustlers behind the dug out.

No I don't think he is a good choice .... I think he is a magical choice ... just hold onto your braces .. Yogi is in charge!!!

An absolutely inexplicable appointment from our esteemed board. In some ways you've got to take your hat off to them for managing to assemble an international array of stellar managerial talent (their words not mine) and then contrive to appoint the hapless Yogi. Way to go guys.

Let's be brutally frank here, Yogi has done absolutely NOTHING in his career to warrant making even the short list for a club sitting second in the SPFL. Undeniable fact of the matter - anyone suggesting otherwise is deluding themselves.

I personally await tomorrow's press conference with the excitement of my kids on Christmas Eve. I'm not sure what I'm looking forward to more; Yogi's oratorial master class or Kenny Cameron's attempts to roll this turd of an appointment in glitter.

Good times..........

:slapme:  Great stuff, glad you are pleased. I'm sure Yogi will be desperate to meet the fans.

Will believe the Hartley story when I see it. Money will be there and security will be there and if Geography isn't an issue then I smell I wind up. But the sooner this ends the better - Team Hartley!

No wind up . You can say sorry on Wednesday

Welcome to ICT John...

Well AJ I'm waiting :-)

I doubt we'd have the likes of Warren, Draper, Tremarco, Raven etc who are English guys of the age where they would have grown-up idolising Butcher.

None of these guys were over the age of 5 when Butcher quit international football!

Eh AJ I told you long before the paper did mate

I said in a previous post that I would have preferred Hartley -but if it is Hughes I would support him, we have to trust the board in making the right decision - possibly a factor is Hughes is unemployed so no compensation to pay- as for Saturday a game we normally expect to win so he could be onto a loser if their is any other result :sad: 

Someone correct me if I am wrong but did Robbo not take over in December and 1st game against St Mirren and we won 4-0 the same will do for me again

Welcome John and good luck

Just on the radio Barry Wilson said John Hughes would be a good appointment as ICT manager! Would not have been my first choice but will give him my support if he is appointed tomorrow.

• Agree 1