FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The new manager thread

Yngwie

The lesson seems to be that,  if you are a player who in your heart and mind doesn't want to work very hard for a place in the team and for the club, then you are in for a rude shock.

Hughes can be very good for this club if he can find and encourage the right players.

In this he seems to be very lucky right from the start since this team is already hard-working. So naturally he sees that he must go canny at first without too much that can go wrong for which he can be blamed, but the strength in this man will gradually  come to the fore and he won't tolerate fools gladly or lazy players unwilling to buckle to and benefit from the motivational attitudes he will adopt towards these players and the expectations that he will have to flow back to him from them.

The more I see and read about this man the more I realise why Kenny Cameron and the Board liked him and considered him to be a good fit for the club AT THIS STAGE, not least the fact that he was willing to do adequate preparation and study of the club prior to his interviews and :

(a) how thorough he is .

(b) how smart he is despite his Scottish brogue which merely defines his original place of origin and his earlier upbringing but does not depict what his true character is or what he has learned from life.

© that he fully understands the necessity of  hard work, the value of dedication to the task and that the players must pay attention

to what he says or they will not learn  from his experiences and grow and develop as a result.

Looks like we could have a winner here with a hard edge to him but who has learned that temper displays and abuse of players might not always be the best way of going about things. But is willing to be honest and up-front with players and then moves on without bearing grudges.

All I can say is good luck John.

• Agree 2

The more I read about his treatment of players at all of his past clubs, the more bewildered I am about this appointment.

The hardest part to take is that he has been given a 2 year+ deal, giving him ample time to dismantle our current squad, regardless of how we see out this season.

Isn't part of the recruitment process checking references?  Which of the previous clubs hes been sacked from gave him a thumbs up?

As someone has already posted, where is the evidence for point 1. I have spoken to one of the youth coaches at Hibs who was there whenHughes was there and he did not have a bad word to say about him.

Why would he want to dismantle the team?. True players might not want to re sign but again no evidence to suggest that is what he is going to do.

Finally you will find very few football managers who do not have a sacking on their CV and sackings are not always justified in football terms

I live and work in Aberdeenshire and have, as expected, had a steady stream of Aberdeen fans in and out of my office all days in a state of bewilderment at this appointment. Despite the usual wind ups a lot of Dandies I know have a bit of a soft spot for us and the universal view is that this is a regressive step for a club in our current position. I wholeheartedly agree with them for once.

I sincerely apologise if my comments upset the sensibilities of the happy clappers on here but I was under the impression that this was a forum where supporters were afforded the opportunity to voice their opinions in a democratic manner. Apparently not....

A massively underwhelming appointment and anyone suggesting otherwise is kidding themselves on.

Not often a 35 year old gets a 3 year deal in the Scottish game and he's no Ryan Giggs /sorry but I smell a rat !

I live and work in Aberdeenshire and have, as expected, had a steady stream of Aberdeen fans in and out of my office all days in a state of bewilderment at this appointment. Despite the usual wind ups a lot of Dandies I know have a bit of a soft spot for us and the universal view is that this is a regressive step for a club in our current position. I wholeheartedly agree with them for once.

I sincerely apologise if my comments upset the sensibilities of the happy clappers on here but I was under the impression that this was a forum where supporters were afforded the opportunity to voice their opinions in a democratic manner. Apparently not....

A massively underwhelming appointment and anyone suggesting otherwise is kidding themselves on.

Not often a 35 year old gets a 3 year deal in the Scottish game and he's no Ryan Giggs /sorry but I smell a rat !

Confused,Who is the 35 year old you are referring to ?

59 pages of varied debate and opinion on this topic alone would suggest the forum and its 'democracy' is not the issue. The issue - as always - is a difference of opinion, a difference of opinion that could not happen if your comments were correct.  Sorry, but even after 20 years of existence, slagging off the forum still pushes my buttons on occasion.

Confused,Who is the 35 year old you are referring to ?

I believe that would be Richie Foran .... and yes, I could see him doing his badges in that time and being the next ICT manager.

• Agree 1

There is a narcissistic "feel" - as is the case with most managers - but Yogi has a history of assuming the blame, apologising and shielding his players. That sets him apart from Butcher and he will not leave in similar circumstances. The Board actually appear to have done their homework this time and have opted for a manager who has played at a higher level and will earn respect from the present playing squad. He also has managerial experience and a degree of success which Butcher did not have. He is more brash and straight talking, lacks in the charisma and style stakes, but is a 110 per center. His flaws are that he appears to have experienced difficulty when taking over at clubs who are floundering but that evidently does not apply to us. He has more than the capability to continue to steer the ship on course. It is better to have a more experienced seefarer at the wheel. His main problem is that he is on a hiding to nothing. Keep the ship on course and many will say that the route was plotted anyway - steer off course and it will be his fault. Again that takes an individual with resolve to handle.

IHE is proud to share the poop deck with Mr Hughes - and available fer a televised streak if necessitated.

• Agree 4

There is a narcissistic "feel" - as is the case with most managers - but Yogi has a history of assuming the blame, apologising and shielding his players. That sets him apart from Butcher and he will not leave in similar circumstances. The Board actually appear to have done their homework this time and have opted for a manager who has played at a higher level and will earn respect from the present playing squad. He also has managerial experience and a degree of success which Butcher did not have. He is more brash and straight talking, lacks in the charisma and style stakes, but is a 110 per center. His flaws are that he appears to have experienced difficulty when taking over at clubs who are floundering but that evidently does not apply to us. He has more than the capability to continue to steer the ship on course. It is better to have a more experienced seefarer at the wheel. His main problem is that he is on a hiding to nothing. Keep the ship on course and many will say that the route was plotted anyway - steer off course and it will be his fault. Again that takes an individual with resolve to handle.

IHE is proud to share the poop deck with Mr Hughes - and available fer a televised streak if necessitated.

Spot on IHE but as for your last sentence, dear God no!!

Fast closing in on 'Butcher offski', the highest ever, which at present has around 80,400 views. Those two threads are well ahead of any others. But of course, a load of Hibs fans viewed the 'offski' thread as opposed to few Alloa fans when Hartley was looking likely. 

This thread has had over 79,000 hits now. That's more than one view for every man, woman and child in Inverness!

Although it's slightly distorted as Renegade and Yngwie account for 4,000 hits each!  :lol:

• Agree 2

Fast closing in on 'Butcher offski', the highest ever, which at present has around 80,400 views. Those two threads are well ahead of any others. But of course, a load of Hibs fans viewed the 'offski' thread as opposed to few Alloa fans when Hartley was looking likely. 

This thread has had over 79,000 hits now. That's more than one view for every man, woman and child in Inverness!

Although it's slightly distorted as Renegade and Yngwie account for 4,000 hits each!  :lol:

....and the 6,000 times Beastie viewed to see if there was any mention of Paul Sturrock...

• Agree 1

....and the 6,000 times Beastie viewed to see if there was any mention of Paul Sturrock...

Why do think I still keep checking?!

Sturrock for assistant.  :lol: