FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The new manager thread

Yngwie

There are opinions on here masquerading as fact, there are accusations without foundation and there are predictions of doom and disaster without a single shred of evidence.

There are legitimate arguments against installing Hughes on a 2 and a half year deal, not solely based on his mediocre managerial record but also the thoughts of his previous clubs fans.  He has left every job at the end of a terrible losing run and nobody was sad to see him go.

The "masquerade" on here is your demonising the people questioning the decision as hysterical idiots, convincing yourself you're being sensible and calm in the process.   Youre fantasising over the days of supporters ignorance is a testament to your poor judgement, you want to ignore the various legit reasons Hughes shouldnt be here in favour of happy-clapping.

CLAP CLAP CLAP

Another thing that gets me is that because people are on the internet and hidden behind a username they offer up much stronger, and dare I say much more ridiculous views than they would ever say in the pub in real life, let alone to Yogi or the board's face.

lol.  The irony of that post lost on you ubern?

Another thing that gets me is that because people are on the internet and hidden behind a username they offer up much stronger, and dare I say much more ridiculous views than they would ever say in the pub in real life, let alone to Yogi or the board's face.

lol.  The irony of that post lost on you ubern?

There is no irony within that post. There is nothing extreme within that post, or indeed anything I post on CTO, and thus I would be happy to say it to anyone in real life. 

• Agree 1

There are opinions on here masquerading as fact, there are accusations without foundation and there are predictions of doom and disaster without a single shred of evidence.

There are legitimate arguments against installing Hughes on a 2 and a half year deal, not solely based on his mediocre managerial record but also the thoughts of his previous clubs fans.  He has left every job at the end of a terrible losing run and nobody was sad to see him go.

Was Terry Butcher's managerial record prior to coming here not mediocre?

Were the thoughts of Terry Butchers previous club's fans not somewhat negative?

Did Terry Butcher not then go on to confound those same records and thoughts?

John Hughes may not be what you had hoped for, but can you not give the man a slim chance before calling for the board to be sacked and describing the situation as a shambles?

I personally think that to decry the new manager and the board before he's even got his feet under the desk is rash, premature and somewhat irrational.  John Hughes will have my full support and trust, up until the point that he proves unworthy of that support and trust.

• Agree 5

Well its now official and I am sure that John Hughes will give the job 110% , just as he was as a player, was not my first choice but will get my full backing which every supporter should do and then if things go wrong that is the time to start moaning.

I see from the club statement that he will choose his own assistant that might be from within the club -- Richie Foran  a possibility :ictscarf:

• Agree 1

Was Terry Butcher's managerial record prior to coming here not mediocre?

Were the thoughts of Terry Butchers previous club's fans not somewhat negative?

Did Terry Butcher not then go on to confound those same records and thoughts?

John Hughes may not be what you had hoped for, but can you not give the man a slim chance before calling for the board to be sacked and describing the situation as a shambles?

Terry Butcher was part of a team, on his own the man was a menace, lets just hope Hughes has some decent back up.

This is neither a "shambles" a "clusterf***" a "disgrace" nor a "disaster" by the Board. They had a number of applicants for the post that they whittled down to an interview and than a short list who were interviewed by the same selection criteria and John Hughes proved himself to them. As is their right, they then appointed him. There are opinions on here masquerading as fact, there are accusations without foundation and there are predictions of doom and disaster without a single shred of evidence. These do us a disservice. Please remember that CTO users are only a fraction of the ICTFC support but they are the fraction that gets the lions share of attention - and therefore can't be truly representative, but will get credence. I hanker for the old days when opinions were something that you discussed or argued over with a pint in hand and then they disappeared, not hyperbolic and ill judged internet statements that are around for the lifetime of the internet.

While the users of CTO are indeed a minority of fans, I suspect we are a reasonably representative cross section. A large number have also watched football for a long time and some are fairly shrewd observers.

The doubts and reservations surrounding this appointment are not based on hysterical and unfounded hyperobe but on discussion and analysis of JH's managerial history.

That said, I am more than happy to put my doubts aside cease to voice reservations now that the appointment has been confirmed and to give the man my full backing.

If others are not prepared to do that then that is surely their right as this is a largely uncensored open forum where we are all free to disagree with one another and indeed to disagree, even strongly, with the board and their decisions.

• Agree 1

...because people are on the internet and hidden behind a username they offer up much stronger, and dare I say much more ridiculous views than they would ever say in the pub in real life, let alone to Yogi or the board's face.

The ICT fans who know me will say the opposite, I will say the same things but much more strongly worded than I would ever type on here when I'm having a beer with them.

Also I feel there is nothing I have said that I would not say to John Hughes face.  I'm pretty confident he's big enough and ugly enough to not only listen but would appreciate why someone would have concerns.  He'd then set out to prove you/me completely and utterly wrong.

I've also said a few times that I have always liked him as a person.  My main concern (and disappointment) was that we had joined the ranks of those teams that constantly appoint the same tired, old, merry-go-round management faces of Scottish Football, rather than some of the left-field, inspiring choices we've previously made.

After watching the interview and John's body language in the club's video I'm more than happy to say I believe my fears were unjustified and that the board have got it right.  And I'll say it again - the new manager has my full backing and I will be there cheering the team on on Saturday.

Finally, if you or anyone else doesn't like my opinion on here then tough, that's all it is - my opinion.  Many people post complete and utter bull5h1t on here as far as I am concerned, I'd rather some of them disappeared completely but they have as much right to type their opinion on these boards as you or I do.

• Agree 2

Sky interview for those who haven't seen it: http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/scottish-football/9056756/hughes-named-inverness-boss

I like the fact that he's not indicating that he's going to change anything (He mentions "business as usual" once or twice!) - the players will respect that. Bring on St Mirren and let's see if business can continue as usual!

Hughes wasn't my first choice but i'm prepared to give him a fair crack of the whip

Came across well in his interview once you get past the accent

It sounds like he prioritises hard work, team spirit and using the underdog tag to its most. These things are what our club has strived on over the years. hope he carries on the good work of the last manager

I liked what he had to say in the interview. Glad he has picked up on the team spirit and seems to grasp the quality that he has inherited, as well as taking on board that change isnt necessary. 

If he keeps us playing good football and getting results then he has my full support - Team Yogi.

The more I read about his treatment of players at all of his past clubs, the more bewildered I am about this appointment.

The hardest part to take is that he has been given a 2 year+ deal, giving him ample time to dismantle our current squad, regardless of how we see out this season.

Isn't part of the recruitment process checking references?  Which of the previous clubs hes been sacked from gave him a thumbs up?

Clacher have you heard about this 'poor treatment' of players from the players themselves or from fans of other clubs on forums etc?

Given Kenny Camerons business acumen i would expect references would be an absolute priority for him

you have to admire his courage 2nd in the league a semi final and still in the cup, the man must have faith.

It would have been easy if all of that was not the case. With the help of Foran Iam sure we will be ok.

Here is one of his former players giving his view on Hughes appointment:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-hughes-success-inverness-ct-2881209

Keep on the gaffer’s good side and all will be well. Hughes will be your best pal. But step out of line and he can quite easily become your worst nightmare.

Cregg said: “He is an honest guy and if there is something that he wants to say, he won’t hang back.

“If you work hard and show him you are willing then you can’t go wrong. He’ll be your best pal and will be right on your side.

“He creates a great atmosphere and can be a really good laugh.

“It doesn’t matter who you are, if you are doing the business then you will be in the team.

“He has a flipside in him though, that’s for sure. I saw it a few times and he’s not to be messed with. If you cross him or look like you’re not putting the effort in then he’ll soon let you know in no uncertain terms.

“The great thing is he doesn’t bear grudges though. He’ll say his piece and if you take it on
board then it will be forgotten about the next day.

“He’s not the kind of boss who won’t talk to you for a week. He’ll have a pop and then move on.”

Sounds like he has the same approach to lack of effort as Butcher does. I certainly wont criticise him for that. We have seen Butcher bounce players out of the club before for poor attitude and lack of effort and if Hughes adopts the same approach, which sounds likely, then good.

Clacher have you heard about this 'poor treatment' of players from the players themselves or from fans of other clubs on forums etc?

Just from the fans of other clubs on forums. 

Apply that question to every member on here who mentions something regarding a manager or player and you'll see how ridiculous it sounds, you cant expect people to only post or form opinions based on a face to face meeting. 

In fact if memory serves from my distant past as a mod on here, if I had met a player accusing the manager of being a bully or abusive, I probably wouldn't be allowed to post it anyway.

I see what you're saying Clacher, I do certainly believe that there is no smoke without fire. I just feel that Hughes is no different to Butcher in the respect that he will not take any bullsh#t from players and if the player doesn't like it then they can ply their trade at another club. I could see how this may filter out to the fans as having a reputation for being too hardline with his players.

At our own club we saw Imrie, Blumenshtein and Vigurs all bounced out for rumoured poor attitude by Butcher. I'm sure he will have given Ross Caldwell a dressing down at Hibs after his petulance last weekend. I firmly think Hughes is of the same ilk

From what I have read/know about Hughes he demands hard work and 110% effort at all times and I feel that is something our players pride themselves on. Despite have some reservations about Hughes I think that his motivational side is strong and that the demands he puts on players in terms of effort is similar to Butchers

Welcome to the Highlands Yogi, sincerely hope you take our club to the next level............watched all the interviews and delighted at what we are hearing from John, Richie and Kenny

Onwards and upwards..........Bring it on!!

Ritchie and Kenny both speak highly of him and I respect their opinions. They are in a better position than most to judge managers so for that reason I feel compelled to support their faith in Hughes.

Like any other fan I truly hope that Hughes repays the faith the club, players and fans are putting in him

• Agree 1