FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

League Cup Final, whats it worth?

Westhill1

I'm aware that this might have already been discussed this time last year but has anyone got a clue about the financial reward awaiting the club this year if we make it?

Would an additional £0.5M be way off the mark? I know it's not a given that we'll make it given our previous history at the semi final stage of national competitions but has anyone got a clue how this additional income will be spent? I for one would like to see the money going on first phase training facilities, it should therefore be "ring fenced" for creating a legacy for the club and not wasted!

Doubt it would be as much as £500k.

From some old figures I have the winners used to get in the region of £110k prize money, a television fee of about £100k and 37.5% of the gate (after VAT...so nearer 30% in reality).  Those are from the CIS sponsored the competition and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's less now there's no commercial sponsor.

You'd need a crowd of over 60k to take us anywhere close to £500k based on the above figures.

Should also be noted the the league cup only pays prize money on elimination and not per round as the Scottish Cup does (assuming it's not changed).  This means that there's no payment for semi final and then another payment for reaching final.

• Agree 1

I'm aware that this might have already been discussed this time last year but has anyone got a clue about the financial reward awaiting the club this year if we make it?

Would an additional £0.5M be way off the mark? I know it's not a given that we'll make it given our previous history at the semi final stage of national competitions but has anyone got a clue how this additional income will be spent? I for one would like to see the money going on first phase training facilities, it should therefore be "ring fenced" for creating a legacy for the club and not wasted!

At the moment that's a BIG if IMO

At the moment that's a BIG if IMO

Oh get over yourself. You really are a doom monger.  :redcard: 

We might just beat Hearts. Maybe.

What is it worth - a great day out fer the faithful - a place in the history books - prestige and potential attraction of more fans.

Eh so where exactly do you this potential attraction of more fans coming from?

Anyway it's good that your back after a very quiet spell and it's good that you seem to have taken the break up/disbanding of the green brigade so well

Dougal

Edited by dougal

Doubt it would be as much as £500k.

From some old figures I have the winners used to get in the region of £110k prize money, a television fee of about £100k and 37.5% of the gate (after VAT...so nearer 30% in reality).  Those are from the CIS sponsored the competition and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's less now there's no commercial sponsor.

You'd need a crowd of over 60k to take us anywhere close to £500k based on the above figures.

Should also be noted the the league cup only pays prize money on elimination and not per round as the Scottish Cup does (assuming it's not changed).  This means that there's no payment for semi final and then another payment for reaching final.

Getting a bit ahead of ourselves but I believe that the sponsorship figure is down a bit from that but that the TV figure is a bit more so roughly £200,000 from these sources. With even a little bit of astute marketing, the club ought to make another £20,000 or so from one off merchandising. 

As Caley D says, roughly a third of the gate after VAT. That figure would vary a great deal depending on whether the opponents were Aberdeen or St Johnstone, the former would take at least 10,000 more fans.

My, very rough, guess is that a final against the Dons would generate something in the region of  £440,000 and against the Perth Saints something like £370,000.

In addition, there might be a bit of ongoing benefit for at least a season in increased commercial income but that is likely to be a relatively modest sum falling well short of six figures.

You would need to net off from the gross figure the costs associated with preparing for the final including a hotel stay and fairly significant bonuses quite rightly paid for such an achievement which I suspect would be not far short of £100,000 in total.

What is it worth - a great day out fer the faithful - a place in the history books - prestige and potential attraction of more fans.

Anyway it's good that your back after a very quiet spell and it's good that you seem to have taken the break up/disbanding of the green brigade so well

Dougal

Cups bring prestige and that can attract the local yoof and kiddies who are a must fer the future. It may also attract some part time nomads from around the globe. They may not heighten attendances but bring colour to this forum and provide the perfect excuse fer a ****-up should they decide to attend. The Green Brigade make the Jungle look like feckin choir boys so good riddance.

Dougal

Cups bring prestige and that can attract the local yoof and kiddies who are a must fer the future. It may also attract some part time nomads from around the globe. They may not heighten attendances but bring colour to this forum and provide the perfect excuse fer a ****-up should they decide to attend. The Green Brigade make the Jungle look like feckin choir boys so good riddance.

Hail hail

Dougal

Hail hail

LOL - what a surprise - a grudge that has Cellic as his main team !!

Who cares if it makes any profits, so long as the club breaks even. I just want a national trophy to put it right up the central belt lot who still look down on us and keeps others in our shadows.

I'd like to think we will see the effect that county did where a large number of fans went to the scottish cup final (where are they now), with any luck if the same happened, maybe a few of them would start to become ICT regulars :)

Who cares if it makes any profits, so long as the club breaks even. I just want a national trophy to put it right up the central belt lot who still look down on us and keeps others in our shadows.

I'd like to think we will see the effect that county did where a large number of fans went to the scottish cup final (where are they now), with any luck if the same happened, maybe a few of them would start to become ICT regulars :)

Every smaller team is 'guilty' of discovering thousands of extra 'fans' when they reach cup finals. Just very recently, Killie and St. Mirren won League Cups in front of thousands of fans who suddenly remembered who they support.

And the open-top bus celebrations seemed to attract the entire community!

It must be bitter-sweet for chairmen to witness the whole town coming out on occasions like that, showing enormous goodwill towards their football clubs. Then a fortnight later, they're gone, with the clubs back playing in front of their 3,500 hardcore!

I recall the glorious month of February 2000, when we took throngs of fans to Parkhead, packed out the stadium a couple of weeks later for the Aberdeen cup game and again had an impressive away support for the Pittodrie replay.

In-between that, we had a bread-and-butter home league game against Falkirk that attracted 2,700.

I remember Steve Paterson coming out of the tunnel and almost stopping in his tracks at the sight of the stadium being two-thirds empty. As he sloped off to the dug-out, I could swear there was a bemused wee shake of the head!

Shades of Butcher's bewilderment at the apathy demonstrated in our home gates despite the club flying high!

Fans are fickle!

I wish people would stop talking about the final before we're in it. This usually comes back to bite us on the erse.

Especially the way the teams playing

I wish people would stop talking about the final before we're in it. This usually comes back to bite us on the erse.

Especially the way the teams playing

Why is there no longer a "boooo" option on this forum? Edited by lizi

Back to the original post, if we do make it to the final and end up playing the Dandy Dons and do say profit from it by say £400K what should the club do with the windfall? I seriously believe that this money should be spent on new training facilities and not squandered on short term contracts!

Back to the original post, if we do make it to the final and end up playing the Dandy Dons and do say profit from it by say £400K what should the club do with the windfall? I seriously believe that this money should be spent on new training facilities and not squandered on short term contracts!

I seriously think your counting your chickens etc etc etc !!!

To establish a training facility would cost ten times that.

• Agree 1

To establish a training facility would cost ten times that.

I'm hopeful that caly can make it to a final but winning it might be another thing indeed.

Let's be just a little positive were playing Hearts are we not? A weaker Hearts than last year!

Weaker? certainly. They've still got a lot of fight about them though. Considering how threadbare their squad (team?) is, they performed brilliantly against a resurgent Hibernian side. And they'll want to beat John Hughes at Easter Road.

Throw out the form book. This won't be a walk in the park.

We need a scoreboard imo.