FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Scotty

A few weeks ago I was not looking forward to this game but after the great fighting spirit shown the week against Hamilton I felt we had more chance to get a win and the team did not let us down.  Some passing was terrible as usual in the first half and we went a goal up after pushing forward , a good start and Wedderburn wins a free kick and that man Tansey does it again "superb". We just kept the pressure on County who were just not good enough to respond.  A good win, another 3 points and a great start to the New Year! :ictscarf::ictscarf:

• Agree 1

Great performance. Would go as far as to say on todays showing there isn't a single County player who would get into our first 11 bar perhaps Jackson Irvine.

Pleased to see the manager shake things up tactically and abandon our usual possession game for a more direct approach better suited to a derby game. It was almost as if we carried on where we left off from the League Cup meeting in that respect - the same tactical switch turned the game in our favour that evening.  

Today was a textbook example of 'defending from the front'. Story and Vincent ran their socks off. Their left back could barely even get within 20 yards of the halfway line before being closed down by Polworth. Gardyne was shut down completely by Wedderburn and Tremarco doubling up, so much so that McIntyre switched him to the left to little effect.

When we won the ball we got it forward FAST and had the County in full panic mode. Tanseys long passing was top drawer. Great energy from our midfield constantly getting forward to support the front 2 who held the ball up superbly. In the end it could have been 4 or 5, we were completely dominant. On current form only a matter of time before we leapfrog this lot and Saints IMO. Great start to 2016!

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

We were fortunate to go in 2 up. Looked very comfortable in the second half. County big money players looked very poor, Davies, Gardyne and Jackson were outplayed throughout by our more determined workmen players.

I thought Vincent had a great game as he chased and ran all game. Definately an unsung hero.

• Agree 3

Vincent MOTM for me also. The old boy behind me who'd had a few too many drams probably went for Raven as he seemed to think he and Vincent were the same person. Easy mistake to make I guess. Some engine Dave the Rave has - playing right back and centre forward at the same time. What a player.

• Agree 1

Not sure we deserved to be ahead at half time, but I'll take it! Wedderburn was having a shocker and a good move to sub him for Vigurs. 2nd half was reasonably comfortable and Storey ran Boyd ragged. Vincent was absolutely everywhere and didn't give there defence any rest. In the end, we could have got another couple, but was more delighted with the CLEAN SHEET! Now, we need to do the business off the park: Storey (promising signs there), Draper, Polworth, Vincent, Williams, Fon Williams all signed up for another season or two please. I get the feeling that Rave won't be top of Hughes' list, but he makes us look so much more solid. I quite like Tremarco too.

Well done lads: a happy New Year!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

5 hours ago, ICTRoughi said:

In the car on the way home, Barry Wilson was saying that 2-0 flattered us at half time - totally disagree with that. 

You should have stopped the car and made him get out and walk!

• Agree 5
  • Disagree 1

Good result, happy on the whole, thought the defence played better but still room for improvement and the team in general cutting out some of the slack passing.

Again Storey put in a good shift along with Draper & Tansey.

3pts in the New Year Derby yes I'll take that thanks very much

10 hours ago, TopSix said:

Vincent was anonymous. Why hughes starts Tremarco ahead of Williams is bizarre. Sooner we bring back Pele the better, tbh

TopSix...I'm confused, the 4 posters above you said that JV had a 'great game', 'ran his socks off', 'was absolutely everywhere' and even 'MOTM' ....not that anonymous??

Were you being ironic, or did JV do a lot of running, but not actually touching the ball?

2 hours ago, Eagle4Caley said:

TopSix...I'm confused, the 4 posters above you said that JV had a 'great game', 'ran his socks off', 'was absolutely everywhere' and even 'MOTM' ....not that anonymous??

Were you being ironic, or did JV do a lot of running, but not actually touching the ball?

Got to agree with above post Vincent showed 100% commitment and ran all over the park for the whole game. Rumoured to be our fittest player, and with yesterday's performance don't doubt it.

• Agree 1

The Player of the year poll will show who was the real man of the match. Storey caused problems the whole game. Unlucky with the shot the keeper tipped onto the bar. I agree with Barry Wilson. We could have been two down before we scored. Let's not get too excited about Tansey's free kick. If you were not there, the ball bounced through and wrong footed everyone including the keeper. We'll take them all though. Great second half performance and 4-0 would not have flattered us in the end.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, CaleyMax said:

Got to agree with above post Vincent showed 100% commitment and ran all over the park for the whole game. Rumoured to be our fittest player, and with yesterday's performance don't doubt it.

I thought Vincent was superb.  He kept chasing and harrying the County back four  and the keeper and pressurising them into hurried passes and mistakes.  He kept running and changing direction up front and making more space for Storey.  Storey certainly caught the eye more and was far more effective on the ball but Vincent also made a massive contribution to our win.

• Agree 4

Generally agree with what has been said. 2-0 scoreline  probably did flatter us at half time but the chances County created were virtually all down to poor assing in defence by us. This was largely eradicated in the second half and we benefitted from this and should have scored another 2.

Thought County were pretty poor especially the new saviours for them, Gardyne and Curran. Onwards and upwards.

I agree, lucky to be 2 up at half time but well worth the win and it could have been more after the great second half performance.

Vincent deserved his standing ovation when taken off, he pressed well all game. Tansey, Storey and Draper also very good, but Wedderburn really struggled on the left. Would have preferred Williams in that role.

Anyway, the result was just what we needed!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

9 hours ago, Eagle4Caley said:

I think it's what JV does when we don't have the ball that is impressive. He chased everything down all game yesterday, forcing rushed passes and Fox to miss-kick clearances - this helps to keep the pressure on. When we do have the ball, he's always making intelligent runs to leave holes for Storey and the midfield to exploit. When he has the ball at his feet he wins a good number of free kicks. What he probably lacks is finishing....but let's not forget that he did score the most famous goal in our history!

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, CaleyHedgehog said:

And we'll be lucky if they show so much as the two goals from our game no doubt. 

Yup: 45 min on Celtic, Aberdeen and the numpties in the Chumpionship and 10 min on the diddies.

Highlights on website

2mins 20s on the Highland Derby.

4. 30 Strathclyde Derby

4.50 Killy Hearts

5.0 Dundee Derby

5.0 Celtic Partick.

WTF 

Am I right in saying that you don't have to pay a TV license if you don't watch live TV as I need to consider my options and decide if I'm getting value for money with the TV license.

What's next are they going to shut off the TV transmitter for the Highlands at 10:00 pm as we don't matter up here.

Edited by 12th Man
  • Agree 2

• tm4tj unpinned this topic