FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dont Panic Mr Mainwaring!!!

Grabe

Hi guys, Hope im not sounding negative in my 2nd post but had to get this off my chest! Who is that David Sutherland guy who writes in the P&J???? Numpty! In both Mondays column and yesterdays quote by Paul Third he slaughters 2 players...TWICE. Barry Wilson and Gary McSwegan.

To say Barry, will be struggling next season and has "lost his zest and zip" is out of order. If he has been to every game this season he will find that he has been our most consistant and influential player by a mile. If he looks back to how many times we have lost or drawn a game when Barry has been substituted when we have been winning or drawing, we would probably be sitting in the top 6!!! AND..Ive yet to see a defender he has not got passed yet this season. He HAS tired recently near the end, but I agree with a few of your comments yesterday that he has been doing the work of others.

Gary has come in after a long time out and its a shame he is getting targetted with abuse as it must be hard to play at that level being so long out. He obviously has ability and i know he has'nt set the heather on fire but we must question the service he has been given. For a guy his height to get ball after ball in the air must be difficult... I just think our defenders need to pass better and supply better quality balls to our wide and front men.

So although Sutherland thinks we are heading for a "Dads Army Approach" i think we have a few more seasons before we should be worrying. I feel he is WAY off the mark with Barry and very harsh with Gary. 

What you think??

I think that most people would agree in respect fer McSwegan whereas Bazza should have been rested more but is a potential match winner. McSwegan will be released whilst the policy has to be to pamper Bazza. Anyway poor old DJS - what does a kilted driving feckin instructor with a mullet know about feckin football. Grabe - do ya need any driving lessons.  :001:

And feckin congratulations - Two feckin posts and unwittingly pretty **** good wind ups. I like ya.  :015: :015: :015: :015: :015:

Well, GRABE, let me elaborate here on some of my comments in the P&J.

I have absolutely nothing against either player.  Some of my favourite ICT moments are Barry Wilson moments - the goal at Parkhead in 2000, that amazing strike at Motherwell and the first SPL goal in Inverness spring immediately to mind.  The fact that I once had to stand in the Howden End at Telford Street while a young Mr Wilson lifted his Ross County shirt to display a "Let's all laugh at Caley" t-shirt underneath is forgiven and very nearly forgotten. 

Let's not kid ourselves, though, the ICT team are getting older and old age doesn't come by itself.  McSwegan 36, Wilson 35, McBain 32 and Dods 31.  Wyness and Hastings both hit the big 30 before the end of the season and a number of others are in their late 20s such as McCaffrey, Hart, Dargo and Tokely.

Gary McSwegan was signed, it would appear, as cover for Dargo and Wyness and because of injuries to these players we have seen more of him recently than we might have expected to.  I just don't see a player there who can be expected to make a really useful contribution at SPL level next season.  Others may disagree - we shall see.

I would have to agree with the Immortal Howden Ender that it may have been better if Barry had been rested more this season.  It strikes me that in the last twenty minutes of games lately he has looked pretty weary,and from your own comments I don't think you would argue with that.  That's not going to get any better next term.  So, do we ignore that or accept that most Saturdays he will have to be taken off midway through the second half?  Perhaps his most telling contribution could be coming off the bench to run at tiring defences late in games.  Whatever, he has a role to play for another season but because of his age it needs to evolve.

So we are certainly heading towards a Dad's Army situation and an injection of young, fresh blood is urgently required, particularly in defence and attack.  Whether that comes from ICT youth teams, improved scouting or whatever remains to be seen.  Without significant adjustments to the squad, though, I fear we may be doomed, doomed!

daside5.jpg

I agree with a few points what you have said and see where you are coming from after reading your reply but from a fan point of view just felt you were a bit negative, having that position, writing in the paper and being, i feel, a bit harsh towards the club and the 2 players!!!

Tell me if im wrong... but was it not just the other week against Dundee United did Wilson not burst 50 yards down the right, get in the box and score the winner in THE 90TH MINUTE??? :024:

Was Wilson not RESTED against Falkirk a few weeks ago and we got humped and only had 1 shot on goal in the entire game??? :024:

I recall games against Motherwell, Aberdeen (twice?), Celtic and  kilmarnock he has been subbed and we have came crashing??  :024:

I think being rested at that age dosent work, you need to keep your fitness up, maybe if he played more deeper and still being the creater??? with less lung bursting runs????

Totally agree with what you said about McSweegan and think it was a short term deal but think the options Charlie had were limited....

Would like to think we dont have a Dads Army team, but a team full of experience that other clubs ( at our level) cant buy!!

GRABE, your encyclopedic knowledge of BW's season is truly impressive and your arguments are worthy of consideration.

On the other hand......

I am reliably informed that when BW recently scored the late winner against the Arabs he was really concerned that his legs were going to pack in while doing so.  He was absolutely knackered and that's unlikely to get any better.  It's also nothing to be ashamed for a 35 year old playing in the SPL.

While ICT may have conceded late goals after BW was substituted you have to ask why he was taken off.  I don't think it was tactical.  So I'm not convinced that you can directly link the result to BW being off the pitch.  If I was manager I would always try to go for fresh legs over tired or hurting ones.

I am reliably informed that when BW recently scored the late winner against the Arabs he was really concerned that his legs were going to pack in while doing so.  He was absolutely knackered and that's unlikely to get any better.  It's also nothing to be ashamed for a 35 year old playing in the SPL.

Russell Lapitup is 40 and still playing well.. there are many players still doing ok in their mid forties.

ok with me 2 draw line, but my pet hate as a former player are reporters who have no credentials (no offence) in the game, saying things about players who are trying hard for the club. However, to see negative (although some good points) printed about the 2 players and the current situation at the "dads army" club just aint good reading. I think Charlie knows the situation!!

Would be more enjoyable to pick the P&J up and read the celebrating success story of ICT and how the club will be playing in SPL next year...AGAIN!! :025: :025: :025: 

Lights out Mr Mainwaring! :015: