FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Glasgow Airport Attacked

RiG

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scary stuff. Difficult see how this kind of thing can be prevented other than banning cars from entering the airport frontages. Terrorism is an unfortunate part of 21st centuary living and its up to all of us to keep our eyes fully open and be on our guard. Take care out there folks - keep um peeled.

Guest donmac298

Only a few weeks ago I wrote that England was going down the tubes and that they were dragging Scotland with them.  A certain poster wrote that my comments "scared" him - well, terrorism has now arrived in Scotland mostly due to Blair and his Iraq folly and the clowns have now made him a Middle East envoy.  I'm sure the Palestinians and the rest of the Arab world will be delighted with someone who is pro Israel and so far up Bush's arse that yoiu can see the soles of his boots!  Blair, it is not Northern Ireland that you will be dealing with now.

I was shocked to hear what happened in Glasgow my dad called to see if we were ok as he knows we go on hols soon and are flying from Glasgow he couldnt get me on my mobile and panicked thinking we were there but he got our dates muddled up we aint away till september.I am scared of flying as it is and this has just made me worse i will be a nightmare in that airport will be very nervous will be jumpy etc was like it last time i went on hols but will be worse this time.

Guest TinCanFan

Isn't it odd that the day Glasgow was attacked a bomb went off at Ibiza Airport but luckily no-one was hurt.  Also the people who murdered that teenager in Glasgow recently said that if they were caught they would try to blow up Glasgow Airport.

Its horrific and so lucky no one was killed!

Donmac is absolutely right, the sooner we become independent and stop inheriting another country's wars the better!

Guest TinCanFan

It wouldn't surprise me if they find more cars around London and American TV station ABC were told last week that Glasgow could be a target.

Flying out from Edinburgh on Tues. Hope to be celebrating yet another birthday on Thurs with a visit to Allianz Arena.
off topic,wifes planning a trip to a footie match abroad for my 40th in aug/sept,was planning barcelona,is allianz arena worth a visit?

The only comfort is that the recent attacks have been so incompetently executed but sadly the terrorists will inevitably get lucky sooner rather than later.

What frightens me is that these attacks have been foiled by sheer chance and good fortune with MI5 apparently having no prior intelligence on the matter

The thing to note about the Glasgow incident and the two cars in London is that, although killing or injury may have been a part of the plan, the terrorists have achieved a lot. They caused major disruption around the world. Increased security at all airports, longer queues, people frightened to fly.

Thankfully the airport building is pretty strong because if the vehicle had gotten through there would have been hundreds of people queuing at the check-in desks.

off topic,wifes planning a trip to a footie match abroad for my 40th in aug/sept,was planning barcelona,is allianz arena worth a visit?

Still off-topic- I'll let you know after Thurs! Barca is brilliant too though, can't go wrong there.

They caused major disruption around the world. Increased security at all airports, longer queues, people frightened to fly.

I am petrified of flying hate it and my holiday is 7 weeks away and i am dreading traviling i will be a,ess the morning im due to fly and this has just made it a whole lot worse for me i just hope my kids dont pick up on my fear i will be a nervous wreck untill i get there and will be the same  the morning i come home.

Anyone got any tips for people like me !!

The terrorists have won once again. They dont need to kill anyone for their plans to work although to certain terrorists that seems to be an enjoyable side effect. All they need for things to work is for terror to be created or for order to be disrupted in the same way that it was after 9-11 or after the London bombings or even after "failed" attempts like the liquid gels last year that has forever changed the rules regarding passenger carry-on luggage and led to (bigger) queues in most major airports ever since. If this leads to a car exclusion zone around the terminals of major airports where you can currently drive up and drop off passengers then they will have got even more success.

Within an hour or two of the attack in Glasgow, it was reported that security at airports in North America was being tightened up (more patrols outside making sure cars not left unoccupied/idle etc) and it is the #1 news story both on CNN and Toronto news broadcasts. Next step, I feel will be a push to have people park away from terminals and only allow access by bus/rail or by walking from car-parks.

The bombs in London were shocking, and to be honest, the low-tech nature put me more in mind of "activists" than what we have come to expect from what appears to be a more sophisticated organisation like Al Qaeda. I got a shock when reading the Glasgow coverage as you dont expect it to happen in Scotland, but Scotland would not be immune from this either as part of the UK or as an independent nation (within the EU).

The worrysome part of it is just how low-tech it is ..... pop along to B&Q, buy a large tub of nails, no-one bats an eye, pop along to various petrol stations and fill up fuel containers, again no-one bats an eye, and finally, go get some propane/butane tanks for your outdoor BBQ an yet again its not suspicious .... put it all together and you have an explosion waiting to happen !

To those who are flying now/soon. I would also give these words of wisdom ....

I flew into Toronto on September 1 2001, I flew back out again on September 21 ..... in between those dates was the tragedy of 9-11 and I was absolutely bricking it, especially as myself and Christe had planned to be in New York that weekend but changed our plans at the last minute .... I was bricking it frm when it happened until I got to the airport for my flight home and talked with a couple of other passengers who happened to be in the "security business" ....

They re-assured me that immediately after a crash or immediately after an "incident" is the safest time to fly as vigilance, security, (and plane maintenance in the case of a crash) is so high ... over time people may get lazy/lax in enforcing the rules but they are jolted back into action when something happens. Also - dont forget, that flying is statistically safer than any other form of transportation including walking !!!

I think New York mayor Michael Bloomberg got it right when he weighed in about the recent plot to blow up the main fuel pipeline under Los Angeles airport - a plot that wasnt even anything more than  an idea but which had people panicking. Mayor Bloomberg's comments "There are lots of threats to you in the world. There's the threat of a heart attack for genetic reasons. You can't sit there and worry about everything. Get a life,". FULL ARTICLE

sorry but that attack on glasgow airport was not a serious terrorist attack, its worrying the intent was there but the actual capabilities of thise involved was embarrassing.  al queda or hamas make bombs, these guys crashed into a door then jumped out to unload gas cylinders and throw petrol bombs!  they're about as likely to take out a plane or kill people as the weegie radges inside the building on their way to magalluf

i dont want to give the impression im 'unimpressed' as if a bigger attack wouldve impressed me but i dont think 'terrorism has now arrived in Scotland', even during the the worst trouble in northern ireland there were too many safe houses and known faces in scotland for fighting to spread our way.  the enviroment up here is all wrong to breed islamic fanatics, their communities are too small to be completley insular or intollerant

Whilst I know what you mean Clacher and even agree to a certain extent ... the fact of the matter is that a "terrorist" attack no longer has to be that "serious" or "credible" to send shock waves round the world ..... within a few hours of this "amateur" incident, security had been tightened at most major airports in North America and I am sure the same was reflected in Europe too.

This inconvenienced probably millions of people, especially in North America as "Canada Day" is tomorrow and 4th July is just around the corner so this is a HUGE Bank Holiday weekend all over the continent and yesterday was expected to be the busiest airport passenger day outside of Christmas. I dont think much was cancelled but security was tightened even further and delays were extended !

Was the threat that serious ? On the face of it the answer must be no as the equipment and method appeared amateur and fortunately no-one other than a couple of the perpetrators were actually injured or killed. It may have been viewed differently if there had been any casualties. Were the ripples of it felt worldwide despite the amateur nature. Unfortunately, the answer is yes and I believe much of this is echoed in what Michael Bloomberg has said ... everyone is scared of everything now and the tiniest little thing can set people off - we need to get a life, stop worrying about things that may never happen and deal with them when they do.

i dont think millions of people wouldve been inconvenienced any more than normal but certainly within the uk itself thousands would have been.  the incident would also have cost the airlines flying to/from glasgow combined a few million pound but even then thats why they pay about a fifth of their turnover in insurance

like most of this country i agree with mr bloomberg, i wish the wider media did aswell, i really cant see what they gain out of blowing any 'terror' story way out of proportion other than discredibility (is that even a word :017:)

Clacher, any terrorist attack, whether proffessional or amateurish, is serious. Dont know where you got your description of events but the whole point of this attack was to kill hundereds of people. Fortunately the attack failed because they hadn't accounted for the strength of the steelwork. Reports say they made two attempts to break through so they obviousy wanted the vehicle inside the terminal. They weren't trying to take out a plane, just people. Innocent men, women and children. If that is not a serious attack then I dont know what is.

These people intended to kill innocent men women and children  FAMILES about to go on holIday... I have to agree with Alex they didnt account for the strenght of the steelwork in that building. It was just luck  that the steelwork was solid.

agreed that this was a potentially very serious incident and whilst it almost beggers belief that the terrorists hadn't researched what it would take to break into the terminal building they will learn from that mistake and be an even more dangerous force in the future.

Clacher, any terrorist attack, whether proffessional or amateurish, is serious. Dont know where you got your description of events but the whole point of this attack was to kill hundereds of people. Fortunately the attack failed because they hadn't accounted for the strength of the steelwork. Reports say they made two attempts to break through so they obviousy wanted the vehicle inside the terminal. They weren't trying to take out a plane, just people. Innocent men, women and children. If that is not a serious attack then I dont know what is.

Was that the steelwork of the road sign they got stuck on.

Apparently one eyewitness said they drove at speed at the door, crashed into it and couldn't get through so they reversed a bit and tried again but failed. That's when they appeared to give up with whatever plan they had involving the car.