FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

New defender signed on loan

kiltarlity

Ok didn't here this in the taxi. But being on nightshift looks like I'm first to the morning papers. Both Courier and P and J report today:

We have signed Steve Walsh (a central defender) on a 6 month loan from Swansea (previously a product of Chelsea youth programme). He is 22 and originally hails from Aberdeen. (Which is prob why he is willing to come to Inverness). I believe he has been capped at under 21 level for Scotland.

He has just signed a new 1yr deal with Swansea, but as he has been out with shoulder injury for most of his 6 months there, they want to loan him to get him playing competitive first team football again.

Graham

Was having ma morning cuppa when I noticed this. I thought to myself "What ?" and there at the bottom of my mug the tea leaves had created the pattern of a feckin massive seagull with the latters W A T T.

D.O.B. 01-05-1985

Birthplace Aberdeen

Height 6'3''

Weight 13st 12lbs

Position Defender

Signed 10-01-2006

Fee Free

Former Clubs Chelsea

Pen Pic Steven Watt is a tall centre half who signed an 18 month contract with the Swansea during the January 2006 transfer window.

He made his debut with the Premiership champions in last season's FA Cup against Scunthorpe and he received compliments from manager Jose Mourihno for his performance.

Barnsley were also interested in signing him on a permanant basis after he played 3 games for the League One club whilst on loan. His spell ended early due to injury.

After joining the club, Jackett said: 'Steve is a quality player. He is strong in the air and in the tackle. In fact, his all-round game is very good.

'I am delighted to add him to my squad. He is a quality acquisition.'

Watt will certainly add competition for places in defence as he'll compete with Monk, Lawrence and Austin for a place in the centre of defence.

He made his reserves debut for Chelsea at the age of just 16 and he will now wear the number 12 shirt for the Swans.

Swans fans have yet to have seen him play on a regular basis because of on-going injury problems. Despite this, he was offered a 1 year deal by Martinez this summer which he signed.

After signing, Martinez said he wants him to be playing regularly next season but that is likely to be on loan

Yep..good bit of business.

However if he needs games, who are we going to drop? Caff would be the obvious choice and he must be getting worried as i cant see the guy Watt warming the bench.

I'm not a fan of loan deals but they can help solve a short term problem, and we certainly have problems at the back.

Given this guy's patchy injury record and our lack of both quality and quantity in defence just now, I would say we still need another defender before the window shuts.

Says we have signed him on a season long loan on BBC website and for 6 months on P & J website  :024:

The offer for Kelly is still open and we are waiting to hear back from him and a similar case for the loan offer to Celtic for Cuthbert.

P&J mentions a midfielder may have to leave to allow another defender to sign though

I've played against him between the ages of 11 and 15, and the boy is absolute class  :021:

After he moved to Chelsea, I've always kept tabs on his progress, so I could say "I've played against him".

Great signing. Aberdeen wanted him as well, my wee mole is telling me...

Guest Muir-Jaggie

Inverness Caley Thistle have signed central defender Steven Watt on a season-long loan from Swansea City.

The former Scotland Under-21 international began his career at Chelsea before moving to the Liberty Stadium in January 2006.

Watt's Swansea career has been hindered by two shoulder operations, which has limited his participation in mainstream league games.

The mutually beneficial loan will ensure that the Swansea defender receives invaluable first team experience and regain his match fitness.

Inverness manager Charlie Christie has announced that Watt will feature in Tuesday's reserve match at Motherwell.

He doesn't look much like the picture above anymore if the piccy on the Courier website is right  :023:

Imagine him without hair and three years older, and you'll see its him.

Then again look at the picture on the official website.

Im confused

The one on the ICT official website is 100% him.

Here is a recent Swansea piccy:

swatt1.jpg

Steve Watt

Profile provided by Andrew Thomas

Steve would have been the bookies favourite to have been on the released list last June, but that was prior to Kenny Jackett's departure and Roberto Martinez's arrival. Originally signed from Chelsea, Steve played very little football for the club before an injury at Nottingham Forest sidelined him for a long spell.

Then, after apparently falling out of favour with Jackett, Watt was once again injured. Having been given a reprieve, and the departure of Izzy Iriekpen, hopefully Steve will be able to demonstrate the class which prompted Jackett to sign him originally.

2006/2007

Profile provided by Andrew Thomas

After signing on an 18 month contract from Chelsea during the transfer window, Swansea fans have seen very little of Steve, due to a painful shoulder dislocation suffered at Nottingham Forest. However, during those two League appearances, Steve showed a lot of class on the ball, as well as great reading of the games in which he played.

It is hoped that he will be far luckier this year, and should become a genuine asset to the team, providing competition for one of the centre back berths with Austin, Monk and Iriekpen.

Following his time at Chelsea, Steve is unusual for a footballer in not naming pasta as his favourite food.

Steve Watt - Soccerbase.com

Got this from another forum

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(went to school (primary & secondry) with and played in same team as him for a year or so, my brother even captained the team he played in before he signed s-form with chelsea )

the amount of stories i could sell to the tabloids..

Originally Posted by Harry Chibber  View Post

good player? I've heard good things

aye not bad.

he's got height for defender, think he needs to put a little more beef on, but i aint seen him play for awhile so i'm unable to comment on that. when i played with him he was a striker, bit of a ball hog too.

here's some facts.

he's (or was?) an aberdeen fan.

his mum wouldn't let him sign for aberdeen cos she knew he could do better. he turned down rangers to goto chelsea instead.

he was in starting 11 for jose mourinho's first ever match at chelsea (pre season against bristol rovers or city i think)

kinda rotted in the reserves at chelsea with mixed references, lacked consistency a little, while at times lead by example.

jose mourinho didn't want him to leave chelsea but he sought first team football and left in search of it. career stalled due to injury of late.

was a huge prospect for scotland when he first signed for chelsea (i remember the day cos he signed the s-forms in the secondry school i went too, can't remember who chelsea had up representing themselves that day for the photos and that but was a note of mentioning, sadly i cannot!)

can't wait to see how he gets on like, should be interesting for me at least!