FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

St Mirren -V- ICT : Matchday thread

Scotty

Well--isn't that nice and soooo typical of the BBC these days.

Sportsound says that the St Mirren game is "NOT AVAILABLE  TO OVERSEAS LISTENERS" so naturally I did not tune in--up early though.

Now here I am listening to the game.

What IS the problem with the BBC Charles   ? :029: :008:

You lot are as bad as Tommy who has been known to hold me personally responsible for any minor error in the BBC weather forecast!

I really don't know why it's not possible to get many SPL games on the BBC overseas, nor can I claim in any way to speak for the BBC to whom I am a mere humble freelance contributor. However it very much looks to me as if the problem lies with the clubs and not with the BBC inasmuch as it appears that a number of clubs are not prepared to have commentary of their games broadcast free to air worldwide. I believe that ICT is not one of the clubs concerned.

By the way there would seem to have been a technical problem until about 3:10 on Saturday. This certainly affected the coverage on 92-95FM in the Highland area. I'm not sure if it also affected internet coverage, ie whether the problem was between Love St and the studio or between the studio and the transmitter.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles - You are correct. When there is a 'blocking' problem that problem is one which is created by the SPL and the clubs themselves, the BBC are only adhering to their contract.

However, it appears that on Scarlet's computer a notice on the BBC website showed this weekends ICT game as not being available overseas when in fact it was and he almost missed it ....

However, it appears that on Scarlet's computer a notice on the BBC website showed this weekends ICT game as not being available overseas when in fact it was and he almost missed it ....

I wonder if that might have been a consequence of the hiccup which took the gmae off air for the first 10 minutes? Or was it just labelled wrongly?

Our new Ultras were promising "singers" and two of my protoges even managed to get chucked out due to OTT stewarding.  :021:

What was that all about? Illegal sombrero wearing?

The old 'standing up' issue, I think.......

I believe it may have been alcohol related, rather than just standing. (which is against the rules of the SPL). 

These feckin yoofs should be strongly disciplined - drunk and standing at an SPL game, inciting the stewards, ejected from the ground, requiring a police presence, singing raucous songs, intimidating the opposition, strangely attired - feckin disgrace - they badly need an adult role model.

Our new Ultras were promising "singers" and two of my protoges even managed to get chucked out due to OTT stewarding. :021:
What was that all about? Illegal sombrero wearing?
The old 'standing up' issue, I think.......
I believe it may have been alcohol related, rather than just standing. (which is against the rules of the SPL).

From where did you hear that? To my knowledge, and to those who got ejected it was due to their persistant standing.

Okay persistant standing will get you thrown out.  You use the word persistant, so that suggests that they had received warnings.  So you are saying they were sober then?  Don't think so.

I wasn't there myself, just passing on what I was told by someone who was.

Standing is tolerated in some grounds more than others and they should appreciate it when it is ignored.  If stewards ask you to sit down then you should follow their instructions. 

It is a shame though if a few spoil it for the rest of the support. 

It was a case of jobsworths - as Yngwie pointed out Junior jobsworths - targetting a small but therefore obvious group - who really only brought some atmosphere and entertainment - It was not as if they were running about or creating any management problem - and then all you had to do was look to your left where an equally loyal bunch of Midden fans - practically a whole section - were allowed to visibly stand for the majority of the match.

This has to be a record,  agreeing twice with IHE in the same month!!

Just another stupid example of stewards picking on kids for no reason whatsoever.  So what if they had a few beers??? They weren't harming anyone,  they weren't shouting at our own fans or intimidating anyone,  and more importantly our own fans thought it was ridiculous they were getting chucked out because as usual it was for nothing!!  They certainly didnt "spoil it for the rest of the support"  that kind of attitude is pathetic!

Also me and my mates had been drinking before the game but sat there and watched without singing or standing up.  Should we not be chucked out as well LG???

I also have to say though, as much stick as the Saints fans were giving Rosscoe,  the Chris Kerr song,  very similar to the Iain Durrant one was out of order!!

Just another stupid example of stewards picking on kids for no reason whatsoever.  So what if they had a few beers??? They weren't harming anyone,  they weren't shouting at our own fans or intimidating anyone,  and more importantly our own fans thought it was ridiculous they were getting chucked out because as usual it was for nothing!!  They certainly didnt "spoil it for the rest of the support" that kind of attitude is pathetic!

:clapping03:

It was a case of jobsworths - as Yngwie pointed out Junior jobsworths - targetting a small but therefore obvious group - who really only brought some atmosphere and entertainment - It was not as if they were running about or creating any management problem - and then all you had to do was look to your left where an equally loyal bunch of Midden fans - practically a whole section - were allowed to visibly stand for the majority of the match.

:clapping03:

I wasn't there myself, just passing on what I was told by someone who was.

Standing is tolerated in some grounds more than others and they should appreciate it when it is ignored.  If stewards ask you to sit down then you should follow their instructions.

It is a shame though if a few spoil it for the rest of the support. 

:020:

For someone who wasn't there you seem to have quite a lot to say on the attitude of he support . . .

:33:

As I said I can't argue either way as I'm only acting on hear say, but the fan who told me about it seemed to think those who were ejected, deserved to be.

My comment about the minority spoiling things for the majority was more general, not just referring to Saturday but in general, for every team in every ground.

Kk i suppose some did deserve to be . . but if they are ejected then surely all the Midden fans in the other stand to our left should have been aswell  :tic01:

Hate how stewards pick on s just cause we're a smaller bunch than most groups of fans . . most notably the TCS stwards  :020:

My comment about the minority spoiling things for the majority was more general, not just referring to Saturday but in general, for every team in every ground.

Well you did leave it on the matchday thread so I presumed you were referring to the fans at the match  :029:

I would only agree with that about the Old Filth though. Most Of there fans are 1/2 decent but there are the bigots that spoil it . . but worst of all seem to get away with it 90 odd % of the time.

As I said I can't argue either way as I'm only acting on hear say, but the fan who told me about it seemed to think those who were ejected, deserved to be. My comment about the minority spoiling things for the majority was more general, not just referring to Saturday but in general, for every team in every ground.
Well i was pretty much beside the boys and i can assure you that the reason they were ejected had nothing to do with the fact that they were drinking before the game. Just wondering but was the person who told you this by any chance on the supporters bus down - quite a few of them dont share much love for the wee boys down the front singing their hearts out. :029:

quite a few of them dont share much love for the wee boys down the front singing their hearts out. :029:

I would actually go as far as to say a lot think you are a bunch of ***** because you simply make noise.

Not a sentiment I agree with but I know of a few folk on the buses who don't like you for that reason alone  :017:

quite a few of them dont share much love for the wee boys down the front singing their hearts out. :029:
I would actually go as far as to say a lot think you are a bunch of ***** because you simply make noise. Not a sentiment I agree with but I know of a few folk on the buses who don't like you for that reason alone :017:

Ba$tard$! We need more of us than there are of them - that'll be the day!

As a regular on the Supporters Bus, I am certainly not one of the supposed "lot" who don't want the young to sing etc.    As a season ticket holder in Section G of the North Stand, I enjoy the singing, foot stamping, bouncy bouncy, and especially the drums.  Please boys don't decamp to the "singing section" - you would be missed from Section G and anyway, nobody hears any singing from over there because of the lack of a roof and the Stewards can pick on you easier there too. :clapping03:

As for the St Mirren game, I don't agree with fans who were not at the game posting comments about those who were there - second hand news can grow arms and legs and be blown out of proportion.    I was there but seated quite far away from the group of boys and watched the game, not them - that's why I go to the football, to watch the field of play not the behaviour of a few in the stands.

Most of us at some time use bad language of some kind.  However, it is my opinion that the supposed "grumpy old gits!" and plenty others, object mainly to very foul and abusive language and the finger signs.  One particular case of foul derogatory singing (and patchs bought for the occasion) which was categorised as extremely offensive, was aimed towards a Hibs player recently  -a player who incidentally some on this forum wanted to join ICT! - would they sing that song if he was in our Club's colours?  Not funny and not clever. :33:

Fans of all ages must remember that they are representatives of ICT and as such behave in such a manner so as not to bring the Club into disrepute - ICT don't want to be talked about in the same manner as some Old Firm fans (and Dundee Utd and some others too).

Finally, regarding the young and alcohol, the bins at Perth Bus Station were full of bags of confiscated booze taken from a big white bus and it wasn't ours!  If the Police had stopped the bus, the driver could have lost his job, and he, the Club and the "responsible adult" in charge of the bus fined as well. 

Think on, and, oh by the way, IHE - you know I am not a grumpy old git, and, ICT34, neither am I a ba$tard.

I have spoken up on behalf of the young "singers" on umpteen occasions. and will continue to do so if they warrant my support.

As a regular on the Supporters Bus, I am certainly not one of the supposed "lot" who don't want the young to sing etc.    As a season ticket holder in Section G of the North Stand, I enjoy the singing, foot stamping, bouncy bouncy, and especially the drums.  Please boys don't decamp to the "singing section" - you would be missed from Section G and anyway, nobody hears any singing from over there because of the lack of a roof and the Stewards can pick on you easier there too. :clapping03:

As for the St Mirren game, I don't agree with fans who were not at the game posting comments about those who were there - second hand news can grow arms and legs and be blown out of proportion.     I was there but seated quite far away from the group of boys and watched the game, not them - that's why I go to the football, to watch the field of play not the behaviour of a few in the stands.

Most of us at some time use bad language of some kind.  However, it is my opinion that the supposed "grumpy old gits!" and plenty others, object mainly to very foul and abusive language and the finger signs.  One particular case of foul derogatory singing (and patchs bought for the occasion) which was categorised as extremely offensive, was aimed towards a Hibs player recently  -a player who incidentally some on this forum wanted to join ICT! - would they sing that song if he was in our Club's colours? Not funny and not clever. :33:

Fans of all ages must remember that they are representatives of ICT and as such behave in such a manner so as not to bring the Club into disrepute - ICT don't want to be talked about in the same manner as some Old Firm fans (and Dundee Utd and some others too).

Finally, regarding the young and alcohol, the bins at Perth Bus Station were full of bags of confiscated booze taken from a big white bus and it wasn't ours! If the Police had stopped the bus, the driver could have lost his job, and he, the Club and the "responsible adult" in charge of the bus fined as well.

Think on, and, oh by the way, IHE - you know I am not a grumpy old git, and, ICT34, neither am I a ba$tard.

I have spoken up on behalf of the young "singers" on umpteen occasions. and will continue to do so if they warrant my support.

Eliza - a very good post. 

As for me posting comments, I'm sure you are aware of my source.  I was speaking to the Chairman discussing a few ways we as a club could support this group of youngsters.  This discussion included seating, flags, places for banners etc.  Fairly positive conversation. During this discussion a fan who was in attendance at the St Mirren game, advised us that there had been a problem with alcohol consumption among some of the younger ones, who I believe ran their own bus.  You are absolutely right to point out the penalties involved for all concerned for breaking the law regarding drinking on the bus. 

You also make some good comments about the difference between humour and abuse.  One of the things that annoys me is the abuse that our fans give Ritchie Hart, we should be supporting our own team and while 'banter' is great and mostly humourous, there is a fine line. Especially in these P C days.

The BENI have my full support and I will continue to assist them wherever possible.  They must however, self police and gain the respect of the club, where they will also find huge support as long as they work with them rather than try to fight against them.  I don't agree with a lot of the rules and regulations, but they are put in place by the SPL/SFA supposedly for our safety and enjoyment.  My experience is that they do exactly the opposite in most cases.  We have to work together to find the common ground.

Apoligies eliza - i was refering to the people who dont lyk us youngsters making noise. I agree with all the points you made in that post and am firmly with you on trying to get the best atmosphere possible in and around section g.

As for the bus the boys were travelling on - they were all warned and told of the consequences of taking drink on the bus and that there was to be no drink allowed on it. It was just a case of a few stupid ar$eholes ruining it for everyone much to the disapproval of the majority of the bus, and especially to the ""responsible adult"" who ran it.