FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Next Seasons Line-up / Formation

Joonya

Following on from the Don Cowie thread, I had a couple of ideas for next years formation based on the squad we currently have...

Fraser

Proctor - Munro - McBain

Wilson - Cowie - Black - Imrie - Zander

Niculae - Wyness

Tokers has had a difficult season and has been outshone by Proc IMO. Hastings too has had a tough season with some dodgy clearences and seems to forever drift into the centre of the park. McBain has covered well at the back and would link well with the Zander/Imrie duo to create from the left.

Wilson is still a 90 min player i think, and has proved he still has what it takes at the highest level. I agree with Cowies comments in the press that he deserves a new deal.

I prefer Wyness with Niculae up fornt. In the first couple of months to this season they linked extremely well, and but for a few injuries and appearences from the bench, I have no doubt Wyness would have had a better goals return this year. I recon he deserves 1 last season with us. Bayne means long ball football that not only makes the game boring to watch, but does not get the same goal returns as those worked from the midfield. Wyness and Niculae can hold up the play to suit.

Vigurs needs time to gel and would get many chances as a sub. I think its too soon for him just now. Zander now has match fitness after his great loan spell, and deserves a proper chance to prove he can cut the mustard.

Your thoughts and suggestions

Wow.  One central defender.  No holding midfielder.  Central midfield containing two wide players.  I'll say one thing: there'll be plenty of goals (most of them in our half unfortunately).

--------------------Fraser---------------------

Proctor-----Munro-----??????-----McBain

---------------------Black---------------------

Sutherland-----------------------------Imrie

--------------------Cowie---------------------

-------------Wood------Niculae-------------

Obviously this is based on what I feel our current squad would be strongest at.  The fact that I simply cannot select a second centre back speaks volumes for my confidence in our defence.  While I feel McBain plays best at left back, I don't believe this is the strongest we can expect next season.  I fully expect signings in the following positions over the summer:

1 Goalkeeper, 2 Centre Backs (one to replace the outgoing Watt and one to challenge McGuire for his starting place - Shouldn't be difficult really), 1 Left Back (Hastings simply isn't good enough any more), 1 or 2 Strikers.  The new strikers will be key to our success next campaign - if Brew f*cks these signings up, we will be relegated.

Fraser

Tokely    Munro  Godnoze  Hastings/McBain (no problem with the full-backs for me, though need cover if Proctor continues at def mid)

Proctor

Black

Cowie          Niculae          Imrie? (one game doth not maketh the man)

Wyness (obviously that'll change)

--------------------Fraser---------------------

Tokely-----Munro-----Proctor-----McBain

---------------------Black---------------------

Sutherland-----------------------------Imrie

---------------Cowie------Niculae------------

---------------------Wyness-------------------

Although I've been away and am not sure who we've got under contract for next season :(

Guest TinCanFan

If you Brewster wants to keep the fundamental 4-4-2 then it should be something like this:

Fraser

Proctor                 ?                                  Munro                    Hastings/McBain

Tokely               Cowie                                Black                            Imrie                     

?/or Niculae if he's still here     ? (Barrowman?)

First of all in goal, Fraser have to be in goal but a decent keeper should be brought in as a decent back-up and to push Fraser.  Andrew McNulty should be brought into the first team as a third choice.  Zibi may not be kept on but may be a suitable back-up.

In defence, a think that Proctor is far better at right back than in the centre and Tokely should be used for back-up as well as having a fair few games in midfield where he really played well against Aberdeen.  A new commanding defender is also needed though Guy Kerr may be the answer but may not have enough experience.  McBain or Hastings should be interchanged fairly regularly as they are both quite quite good at left back, as well as the moving Hastings into the centre as he is doing just do if there is an injury problem.  It will be interesting to see if Loniel Djebi Zadi is brought and what effect he will have on the left backs of Hastings and McBain.  McGuire is not a good defender and should be sold.  McBain should also have times playing the centre of midfield but not at left wing where he is not particularly effective, and Proctor could also have games in midfield.  Alexander MacDonald, who never gets a game should be loaned out along with Jamie Duff to give them more experience.  Steve Watt will also return to Swansea which could mean that two defenders could be needed.

Cowie in the centre though he should also be put on the wing when Tokely is taken off when he gets puffed out and Zander is put on the left wing and Black and Imrie are moved left putting Imrie in the centre-midfield.  Zander could also play effective behind the front two and it's worth a try.  Duncan is no good and should be sold as well as Paatelainen as well as Richard Hart who already pretty much away.  Vigurs should be used fairly regularly regularly as a substitute.  If Juanjo is brought back he might be a good addition to the midfield line.  Gillespie might benefit from a loan spell, as well as Conor Rennie.  Barry Wilson should be given a new contract and should be used as a "super sub".  Zander Sutherland should also come on from the bench on most games, if not played from the start.

Up front, Wyness is past it and should be sold.  He almost certainly will.  A doubt Niculae will be here next season but he would be in my starting eleven if he is still here.  Bayne should be kept as a substitute, as should Wood and McAllister.  Imrie could also be used up front though a new speedy forward should also be brought in and Barrowman may be the answer.  I wouldn't also mind seeing Don Cowie being used as a forward as well.  Dean McDonald should also be sold as he is largely ineffective and should be sold.  McAllister may also benefit from sx-month to season long loan and I also wouldn't mind see Barry Wilson being played as a centre-forward as he did under Steve Paterson.

The subs should line up something like this:

Keeper, McAllister/Wood, Zander, Vigurs, Bayne, Wilson, McBain/Hastings

The tactics should be that the ball is played more along the ground as it worked well against Gretna and other teams also seem to use it effectively, if the long ball tactics continue then Brew should use a different formation.

GK: Would still like to see Fraser kept as No.1 with a reliable second choice keeper brought and McNulty as No.3

DF: I personally would like to see us start with Tokely-Proctor-Munro-Hastings but I feel that Brew will play McGuire instead of Proc, I would like to see an experienced centre half and possibly a young, up and coming centre half/left back.

MID: My ideal midfield four would be Cowie-Black-Duncan-Imrie. I would be very surprised if we still see Blackie in an ICT shirt at the start of next season but I hope Brew and him can sort out there differences. Despite some of the criticism aimed at Duncan I think he is still an excellent player and should be in the starting XI.  Wilson should be kept for another year but I feel that Patti should join Hart through the exit door. I hope to see Vigurs, Gillespie and Sutherland getting a better chance in the first team and I think that an experienced defensiveminded midfield is all that is required.

FW: The problem area. With Wyness, Bayne looking likely to leave and Marius also a high possibility to have left we could need as many as 3/4 new strikers as only Wood and McAllister will be left. From what i've heard Wood deserves to have a chance next season as an impact player of the bench.

So for season 2008/09:

Out: Mccafferey (St J), Watt (back to Swansea), Hart (County), Wyness (County/St Mirren), Patti (free) Zibi (Hibs/free), Bayne (somewhere in the central belt)

In: Barrowman, GK(Samson was mentioned and I would go for him), centre half, another centre half/left back, defensive midfielder, another striker,