FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

New manager thread (merged)

Guest birdog

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Archie Knox would be a major coup for ICT, no doubt about it. I'm impressed with the quality of names being banded about other than I could not cope with Ian MaColl. Never liked him. And I have memories of him being less than savoury towards ICT when he was at Falkirk, not to mention his s**t football commentary(not relevant for management I know but he must never come to ICT!). If we could get/persuade Knox then its got to be the way forward even if his wages are higher because balanced against the cost of relegation its a no brainer. I'm inclined to suspect though that money will be an issue for the board so if that was the case then Robbo is the man. Could the pair work together? Maybe asking a bit much there but the sooner the better as the transfer window is closed soon. Confident Knox could find us a decent striker to see us through and if all else fails Robbo can get the shorts on score a few Im sure :rotflmao:

The more I think about it Archie Knox would be a pretty excellent choice as our new manager. No SPL baggage, good coaching experience and plently of contacts in football to take on new players or arrange loan deals.

I agree. Knox would bring knowledge, integrity and respect to the job and could attract the right profile of player to our club.

good shout.

The more I think about it Archie Knox would be a pretty excellent choice as our new manager. No SPL baggage, good coaching experience and plently of contacts in football to take on new players or arrange loan deals.

your argument makes lot of sense. you obviously know a bit about the game. could we afford him though

Archie Knox has worked with some of the best players and managers in the game, but I don't think he's what we need at the moment at all. By all accounts he's the guy that puts the boot in when Ferguson, Smith etc have forgotten to give someone the hairdryer. Our players look fragile and lacking in any self belief at the moment - do we really need some boot-camp-type individual, who doesn't know much about them and whose recent experience has been at a higher level, coming in and making them feel even worse about themselves? I'd rather Robbo coming in with the arm-around-the-shoulder approach, even though he wouldn't be my first choice either.

Guest Rebelwithoutaclue

Archie Knox has worked with some of the best players and managers in the game, but I don't think he's what we need at the moment at all. By all accounts he's the guy that puts the boot in when Ferguson, Smith etc have forgotten to give someone the hairdryer. Our players look fragile and lacking in any self belief at the moment - do we really need some boot-camp-type individual, who doesn't know much about them and whose recent experience has been at a higher level, coming in and making them feel even worse about themselves? I'd rather Robbo coming in with the arm-around-the-shoulder approach, even though he wouldn't be my first choice either.

I'm with you on that one still remember sitting beside away dugout when Knox was at Livi and sideline coaching style seemed to consist of cursing and bawling to get into them without offering any tactical advice. Okay sometimes that's whats needed but for 90 mins? not for me or ICT.

ARCHIE'S CURSE

And so another Premier League manager is off to the Job Centre. This time it`s Blackburn boss Paul Ince, who has been give his P45 in time for Christmas. So much for the season of good will to all men.

Reasons will continue to be advanced for Ince`s failure. Tactical naivety, poor man management and the inability to organise his defence will be among them, as will the idea that the step up from League Two football was too much for him.

However, there`s a more sinister factor. It`s called Archie Knox. Sammy Lee appointed him as his number two at Bolton and lasted nine league games after that before being given the boot. Ince called on the services of the Scotsman and did only slightly better, surviving seventeen matches before having the chance to spend more time with his family.

Whoever takes over at Blackburn would do well to indulge in the pastime known as Axing Archie. Allowing him to remain is like having the Grim Reaper on the staff.

ARCHIE'S CURSE

And so another Premier League manager is off to the Job Centre. This time it`s Blackburn boss Paul Ince, who has been give his P45 in time for Christmas. So much for the season of good will to all men.

Reasons will continue to be advanced for Ince`s failure. Tactical naivety, poor man management and the inability to organise his defence will be among them, as will the idea that the step up from League Two football was too much for him.

However, there`s a more sinister factor. It`s called Archie Knox. Sammy Lee appointed him as his number two at Bolton and lasted nine league games after that before being given the boot. Ince called on the services of the Scotsman and did only slightly better, surviving seventeen matches before having the chance to spend more time with his family.

Whoever takes over at Blackburn would do well to indulge in the pastime known as Axing Archie. Allowing him to remain is like having the Grim Reaper on the staff.

We probalby will be employing him then

Did we look fragile and lacking in self belief today?

IMO we just need a manager who knows how to pick the team, bring it together and play them in the right places.

Archie Knox is that man.

IMO we just need a manager who knows how to pick the team, bring it together and play them in the right places.

Archie Knox is that man.

I agree with all that except for the bit about Archie Knox...

Archie Knox is that man.

You know my feelings on this...

As I've said in my post on the matchday thread, the team's resilience and self-belief were fantastic today. However, it would just take one wrong appointment to crush that again - look at what Brewster's "disciplinarian" approach cost the team in terms of spirit (and, possibly, losing players). Archie Knox is famous for two things - for being a great assistant manager, and for being a hard b******. He'll have my absolute support if he does get the job, but I would just feel more optimistic with someone else. Remember my sage words about a certain Andy Barrowman at the first Tynecastle game this season? :rotflmao:

btw - 3.38 AM? I assume you carried on for a while after I staggered off for the train?

Guest andyjag

Barry Wilson as manager and Charlie Christie as his assistant - Baz always was committed to the club, and wants to get into management (possiby Player/manager?). Charlie has the experience, and wouldn't have the hassles of being manager - a great combination of youth (as far as managing goes anyway!)and experience from 2 guys who know how to play the game - no more hoofing the ball up the park aimlessly to 1 short striker!! A better bet than Robbo, I think (although he wouldn't be too a bad choice either - I heard Archie Knox's name mentioned-NO NO NO!!!)

Guest andyjag

Also, I wouldn't want Malpass either - the job wasn't good enough the last time, so why should it be this time? Terry Butcher wouldn't be a bad choice though. Ossie Ardiles - interesting!!

its amazing how all the papers have different favourites,sos says butcher will be fav to be unveiled on tues,yet most others say hes out of the running.

2 have been interviewed i would say 1 was defiently butcher,the other i reckon was knox,interviews today or tommorrow i havent got a clue who but better not be malpas.i hope to find out from my club source tommorrow who.

originally i wanted butcher,but if hes not 100% committed to the job due to other commitments then fine dont take him,i think knox will be a good appointment if hes assistant to someone else,i find it hard to beleive they would take sutton,even if it was with knox as sutton has no coaching experience or badges,and ok hes played under a lot of good managers,but that makes no odds

i now have no idea who is fav or who will get it and frankly not bothered out of any of the above,as long as its not malpas hes brewster mark 2

Barry Wilson as manager and Charlie Christie as his assistant - Baz always was committed to the club, and wants to get into management (possiby Player/manager?). Charlie has the experience, and wouldn't have the hassles of being manager - a great combination of youth (as far as managing goes anyway!)and experience from 2 guys who know how to play the game - no more hoofing the ball up the park aimlessly to 1 short striker!! A better bet than Robbo, I think (although he wouldn't be too a bad choice either - I heard Archie Knox's name mentioned-NO NO NO!!!)

although i,d love to see barry invovled in some capacity,albeit assitant or coach,no way should he be manager,as has been said we cant risk another rookie at this stage of the season,charlie also maybe a coach but would he want any other role?you can forget ardiles that was just a publicity stunt

Guest andyjag

Yeah, I think Ardiles is'Neil Warnock Mk2' - and about as likely! I take the point about Baz not having the experience, but he'd be a far better choice than Archie Knox - I don't think he'd fit in well at ICT at all. Who knows, the board will probably suprise us all anyway!