Terry Butcher

1990?1992 Coventry City

1993 Sunderland

2002?2006 Motherwell

2006?2007 Sydney FC

2007 Partick Thistle (assistant)

2007 Brentford

2008? Scotland (assistant)

hasnt really stuck at a club for a good period of time (apart from motherwell)

Terry Butcher

1990?1992 Coventry City

1993 Sunderland

2002?2006 Motherwell

2006?2007 Sydney FC

2007 Brentford

I have been trying to find his stats at these clubs, it would be interesting to see.

Terry Butcher

1990?1992 Coventry City Played 60 Won 20 Drawn 14 Lost 26 Sacked

1993 Sunderland Played 43 Won 13 Drawn 8 Lost 22 Sacked

2002?2006 Motherwell Played 175 Won 60 Drawn 37 Lost 78 Left for Sydney

2006?2007 Sydney FC Sacked

2007 Brentford Played 23 Won 5 Drawn 5 Lost 13 Left under fan pressure

I have been trying to find his stats at these clubs, it would be interesting to see.

Cant find anything for Sydney

Terry Butcher

1990?1992 Coventry City Played 60 Won 20 Drawn 14 Lost 26 Sacked

1993 Sunderland Played 43 Won 13 Drawn 8 Lost 22 Sacked

2002?2006 Motherwell Played 175 Won 60 Drawn 37 Lost 78 Left for Sydney

2006?2007 Sydney FC Sacked

2007 Brentford Played 23 Won 5 Drawn 5 Lost 13 Left under fan pressure

Cant find anything for Sydney

Thanks very much Alex, I dont think his Sydney stats are much more impressive, I thought his stats were a bit chequered and that proves it, a gamble to say the least but then again who is not.

Sydney Stats:

P 29 W 13 D 9 L 7 F 41 A 26

Info on background - nicked from wiki:

The second season of the Hyundai A-league ("dubbed Version 2.0") was ultimately an unsuccessful and disappointing season for the defending champions. The club's administration had spent far more than it had earnt over the course of the past two years, and subsequent budget cutbacks included the sale of marquee forward Dwight Yorke, a significantly reduced advertising campaign, and the loss of German coach Pierre Littbarski (replaced by Butcher). The team's displays on the field were widely reported by Australian sports media to have ranged from showing glimpses of strong form to marked disappointment, and no real challenge for the premiership was mounted.

The off-field administration of the club came under equally heavy criticism. There were disruptions and disagreements within the club's controlling board, and disruptions in the dressing room involving several senior players and coach Terry Butcher. Amongst many other unfortunate events, the club was fined AU$129,000 and three competition points for an alleged salary cap breach involving David Zdrillic. The Sydney FC squad also suffered through remarkably bad fortune with regards to injuries; at one point, only thirteen players were fit & available on the team sheet, including regular second-choice keeper Justin Pasfield. All of this amounted to disappointing attendances, ugly displays of football from what were previously regarded as a good team to watch and relatively poor performances.

To add a bit of balance - here are some archived comments regarding his time at Motherwell

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ng-top-job.html

"Under Butcher's gentle coaxing, Motherwell's youthful brigade can not only look forward to a rare Hampden cup final appearance, but also occupy a satisfying mid-table position in the Premier League, a remarkable turnaround for a club who finished bottom of the league two seasons ago, escaped relegation on a technicality because `promoted' Falkirk's stadium did not meet requirements, and lost their two best players, James McFadden and Stephen Pearson, to Everton and Celtic after entering receivership."

http://www.motherwell-mad.co.uk/news/loadn...W&id=167086

"Terry is held in high regard by both the fans and the players and we look forward to seeing the team develop further under his supervision."

My post wasn't supposed to be anti Butcher, it was just to highlight that he had a poor record at Sydney (given their size and expectation) but that record wasn't all down to him - there was boardroom issues, their best players left before he joined and his squad suffered horrendous injuries.

There was also a very public media campaign, by very clueless pundits over here, against his tactics as he played the "English" style as opposed to the "Continental" style Littbarski had them playing before him. These tactics were pretty much forced on him due to circumstance (see above) - hard to play a nice flowing passing game if your team is of poor quality.

As i posted earlier, the more I read, the more I like the idea of Archie Knox.

He is highly respected, and has superb contacts throughout the game. If he took Wilson and/or Christie as a #2 he could groom either for the top job at some point down the road. I know CC has been manager before, but lets be honest, he was kinda thrown in at the deep end and may benefit from AK's experience.

If Knox isnt up for it then I would be equally happy if we went for Butcher or Robertson. Butcher was regarded as doing pretty good at Motherwell before he left, and as for Robbo, well we have had that debate for the last few weeks and I would be happy to see him as boss too.

I dont' know why but Butcher seems to ring out for me for some reason, and the Butcher/Pressley candidacy could be good. I can't see Robbo coming back cause he doesn't seem to get on with Sutherland, Paterson - no chance, McCoist - no chance, Craig Brown - no chace, Jim Duffy - no, Shearer - no, I don't know much about Knox so don't know if he'd be good or not, but what about Lothar Matthaus? He's managing some team in Israel just now I think, I could be good (a no nonsense German). But you have to remember, that every time ICT lose a manager the same names are always popped out (Paterson, Park, Craig Brown, Robbo) and one things guaranteed, it's never one of them. I don't think Robbo should return due to the fact that I'd like to see someone new brought, not someone from the same old bunch. Or what about the guy who was 5000-1 to take the West Ham job, Barack Obama? Though I hear he's a bit busy over the next few days.

He did well at Motherwell, his record his a mixed bag but if it wasnt he would be in the EPL. Fully behind this appointment if it comes to fruition.

I think that as the broad spectrum of media outlets are in unison, then all bets are off. Butcher is the man.