FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Would You Mind If...

Canada Bob

Just watching the England v Scotland game, and a thought springs to mind...

Would you mind if we swapped Anthems with you, you guys seem to be singing about the pride you have in yourselves, and your Nation, whilst we are expected to enjoy singing about being subservient to the offspring of runts and mongrels, sigh... I'ts a pity that William Wallace didn't have a few more forwards in his squad, the UK might be a very differnt place the now if he'd won a few more away games...

Edited by Canada Bob

No offers hey, I'd take anything worth singing, Rule Britannia or Land of Hope & Glory {well, we can pretend, can't we}, even the Welsh have a better Anthem...

Far as I can recall most National Anthems recognise the people of the land, or at least the land itself, or God, how did we get stuck with this b*llocks. I'd bet that "God save the Queen" hisses as many people off as it pleases...

Odd how most folks don't even know anything other than the first verse of it, or what it stood for not all that long ago...

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid,

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God save the King.

God bless the prince, I pray,

God bless the prince, I pray,

Charlie I mean;

That Scotland we may see

Freed from vile Presbyt'ry,

Both George and his Feckie,

Ever so, Amen.

Seems that the the comments about the crushing the Scots and the vile Presbyterians sponsored a bit of a rewrite, here's the official version...

God save our gracious Queen,

Long live our noble Queen,

God save the Queen:

Send her victorious,

Happy and glorious,

Long to reign over us:

God save the Queen.

O Lord, our God, arise,

Scatter her enemies,

And make them fall.

Confound their politics,

Frustrate their knavish tricks,

On Thee our hopes we fix,

God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,

On her be pleased to pour;

Long may she reign:

May she defend our laws,

And ever give us cause

To sing with heart and voice

God save the Queen.*

I'd rather choke than sing the above, so I guess they didn't my sedition hush.

Edited by Canada Bob

even the Welsh have a better Anthem...

What do you mean 'even the Welsh'?

Odd how most folks don't even know anything other than the first verse of it, or what it stood for not all that long ago...

Oh we know all right. That's why we boo it.

What I mean about "even the Welsh" is that I can't even tell what the b*llocks they are singing, but at least it's a rousing tune.

I wouldn't even waste me breath booing the "Company song" no way will the b*stards get me to sing the praises of a bunch of gormless, useless, puffed up bunch of charlatans...

I guess that reading between the lines you might guess I no Royalist, nor genuflector to the Establishment...

Edited by Canada Bob