Kids for a quid

Alex MacLeod

If they did that then you'd have had nothing to moan about!!!

lol. Just of the thinking that if they have kids filling empty seats it might improve the atmosphere and the catering would do more trade?

Just have a sneaky suspicion that the crowd against Raith might be on the low side.

Think we may have jumped the gun but there was no embargo noted for this item on the email sent to us when we added this story a week ago: http://caleythistleonline.com/news/fan-new...kids-for-a-quid

Just to be positive though .... We are getting a lot more info through Darren than we ever did through his predecessor. Long may it continue.

We did this against Gretna a couple of seasons ago, think it had a good efect on the crowd and it was above 4,000. That that was under 16's that time though.

Just noticed Partick are doing something similar for there game against Dundee today where Under 16's go free! Not bad at all. We should try that one game and see what impact it has on the crowd.

Edited by Joe DiMaggio

A chap I work with is a big Dee fan. He'll get in to the game today for ?11 and since two of his kids are under 16, he's taking them too. Ordinarily, he wouldn't take them along as they're not really in to football. He is, however, trying to discourage them from supporting Hibs. We were discussing Partick's policy as being very positive - especially in terms of the fact that his kids will want crisps, a coke and a hotdog. Add that in to buying a programme and you're looking at Partick prising about ?25-30 from his pocket.

Further to this, I reckon after that parade through Inverness the other day the club might do an armed forces day? Noticed PNE are doing one soon. Good publicity for the clubs involved.

Edited by Top Six Next Year

Can the local primary schools be sent out a poster advertising kids for a quid? before someone moans about the cost of postage. There aren't that many primary schools within a 35? mile radius.

Or is ICT two steps ahead of me already.

If would also be a good time to offer to take someone else's kids that you know, as it gives their parents a bit of free time to do some shopping at this time of year.

A chap I work with is a big Dee fan. He'll get in to the game today for ?11 and since two of his kids are under 16, he's taking them too. Ordinarily, he wouldn't take them along as they're not really in to football. He is, however, trying to discourage them from supporting Hibs. We were discussing Partick's policy as being very positive - especially in terms of the fact that his kids will want crisps, a coke and a hotdog. Add that in to buying a programme and you're looking at Partick prising about ?25-30 from his pocket.

Great initiative from Partick and good to see ICT trying something regarding kids prices.I think the whole thing should be extended to all kids under 16 should get in free to all SFL games when accompanied by an adult unless the club thinks a certain game will be a sell out.This would encourage folk along to watch more local games and, as you say, the club will probably recoup a fair bit of any lost revenue through food and drink sales.Football spectating is habitual and needs kickstarting to get a new generation into the habit that many older hands have got out of,if it's to survive and prosper in the long term.

Great initiative from Partick and good to see ICT trying something regarding kids prices.I think the whole thing should be extended to all kids under 16 should get in free to all SFL games when accompanied by an adult unless the club thinks a certain game will be a sell out.This would encourage folk along to watch more local games and, as you say, the club will probably recoup a fair bit of any lost revenue through food and drink sales.Football spectating is habitual and needs kickstarting to get a new generation into the habit that many older hands have got out of,if it's to survive and prosper in the long term.

Great post Heilandee. I agree with you 100% I think trying to create habitual attendance among young fans would be a positive step. I'm not sure if the kids at Partick even have to be accompanied by an adult.

Great post Heilandee. I agree with you 100% I think trying to create habitual attendance among young fans would be a positive step. I'm not sure if the kids at Partick even have to be accompanied by an adult.

Think if they are teenagers then they dont have to be accompanied by an adult

Good idea but.

We still have a hefty wage bill, I would imagine a reduction in sponsorship and hospitality income, a reduction in full paying adults this season, the attendance figures are about the same but the revenue will be far less from those attending.

I think ICT are being generous as it is, or at least being realistic that if they didnt do something about priceing to get fans in, the present and future attendance figures would drop.

But you have to strike a balance between making some money and doing a Clach.

As for buying kids crisps,coke and a hotdog x 2 plus a programme ?12.50 ? how much money do you think ICT make on this amount.

I think 12thMan has it pretty spot on. Our once healthy bank book was already starting to look a bit threadbare at the end of last season and will doubtless take another huge hammering this season. That inevitably means that everything the club do has to be looked at with a heavy emphasis on income and cost.

Kids for a Quid, whilst accompanied by an adult allows parents to take younger kids along without it putting too much of a dent in their pocket, whilst also bringing in a few extra full paying adults for the clubs benefit. It's not the ideal, but it's a welcome compromise and a step in the right direction.

As I've said before, we all have to do our bit. If only 25% of us managed to persuade one new adult to attend and take a couple of kids....the place would be packed out, the club would make a few bob and it might just encourage the club to repeat and/or extend the offer.

I understand the club have another initiative on the horizon involving kids, so they certainly seem keen to do as much as they can to bring new, young fans through the gate. So long as we keep encouraging and supporting these initiatives then they can only improve things.

I agree with what your both saying and understand "times is tough" but reckon one off game initiatives,whilst admirable, will do nothing but raise awareness in the very short term and to those who would probably go along anyway,Possibly under 16's is a step too far, but i strongly feel all primary age children should not be charged entry to football matches.

There has to be a longer term, league wide initiatives if crowds are to be encouraged in the face of many better value alternatives.The margins involved in the catering could also be improved with clubs being a bit more inovative and ceasing the franchising out to operators offering bland unimaginative overpriced garbage at many grounds.Highland league clubs manage to provide Stovies/Macaroni/chips/fresh coffee etc rather than take it or leave it peh and bovril.

Sky,in the early days understood the power of "pester power" and contrary to popular belief that the early sucess of Sky TV was down to Football coverage, it was actually "The Simpsons" that drove early sales with kids desperate to see what their mates were getting and bugging parents to purchase.

I take the points of CaleyD and 12th man on board but I am still in agreement with Heilandee. In fact after reading the posts I'm even more in favour of u16s going free. I've been thinking about this since my initial response and as well as increased catering and programme sales - what about replica kit sales, and other merchandise from the shop which kids would want? IMVHO I would prefer to see young kids getting Caley strips, scaves etc than their parents going to Rangers / Celtic shops. We all know football fans are fickle and I'm of the opinion that there are bound to be kids who support either of these aforementioned teams simply because they watch them on tv.

The club positions itself as being family friendly. What could be more family friendly than having under 16s go free?

Partick let U16's in free to all SFL matches but last week we still spent money on a prog/raffle in the stadium bar and tea bar so they still get the money in other ways. The adult tickets were ?18 so probably subsidise this kids as well.

My point exactly!!!