FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Craig Levein

Guest Bonzo

I'm glad to see this one is keeping you talking.

To answer a few of your points:

I am not criticising Christie as a Head Coach. He does a decent job.

All I am saying is that ICT should demonstrate more ambition.

If we are to progress in the SPL we need a manager with the credentials and reputation necessary to attract talent to the Highlands. I believe that Robbo had this, but I believe that Brewster and now Christie do not.

I like Charlie Christie as a person and recognise he has been a fantastic servant to this club.

Perhaps that is one reson why I do not wish to see him tarnish his reputation by taking the club down.

I would like him to stay on - with a coaching role, and also possibly a marketing role for the Centenary Club.

Why Levein?

Because the man showed fantastic success at Cowdenbeath and at Hearts' with limited resources. He in an intelligent man who is well respected in the game and is known throughout the UK.

He would undoubtedly cost a few bob more than Christie - but what would we do with the money otherwise? Blow it on signing more players of the standing of McSwegan?

Quite a reasonable view point I would say.

I am a ICT Supporter, and I consider myslef to be a very positive one.

We all have different opinions, and frankly I am a bit disappointed in the attitudes of the posters who have chosen to respond with foul language or abuse.

This site is often criticised for being run by a small "gang" of enthusiasts who like things their own way and will hound anyone showing different views. I am beginning to see how such criticism comes about.

I am not criticising Christie as a Head Coach. He does a decent job.

All I am saying is that ICT should demonstrate more ambition.

If we are to progress in the SPL we need a manager with the credentials and reputation necessary to attract talent to the Highlands. I believe that Robbo had this, but I believe that Brewster and now Christie do not.

I like Charlie Christie as a person and recognise he has been a fantastic servant to this club.

Perhaps that is one reson why I do not wish to see him tarnish his reputation by taking the club down.

I would like him to stay on - with a coaching role, and also possibly a marketing role for the Centenary Club.

You can't be much of an ICT supporter if you haven't realised that the key to our success as a club has come from continuity, with the players and management.  There is only a hand full of players that were not in the first team 2/3 seasons ago i.e Wilson, Tokely, Brown, Wyness, Hastings McBain have still all progressed together, some might have left the club at some point but they all realised ICT's potential.  We don't need expensive players with massive wage demands and a new manager to show our ambition, we will progress naturally and has we have done over the last 12 years.

Why Levein?

Because the man showed fantastic success at Cowdenbeath and at Hearts' with limited resources. He in an intelligent man who is well respected in the game and is known throughout the UK.

He would undoubtedly cost a few bob more than Christie - but what would we do with the money otherwise? Blow it on signing more players of the standing of McSwegan?

Levein had to make his start somewhere just as CC has, only I bet he didn't have supporters demanding he step down after realisticly doing nothing wrong.  I watch a lot of Championship football and trust me Levein was found out down south, Leicester were uninspired last season and he can't say that no money was available the only problem was that he bought the same players that were at Hearts..... now that's ambition  :006:

Quite a reasonable view point I would say.

I am a ICT Supporter, and I consider myslef to be a very positive one.

We all have different opinions, and frankly I am a bit disappointed in the attitudes of the posters who have chosen to respond with foul language or abuse.

This site is often criticised for being run by a small "gang" of enthusiasts who like things their own way and will hound anyone showing different views. I am beginning to see how such criticism comes about.

The reason people have reacted so strongly is because you have insulted the club, and although you say you are an ICT supporter you really have little or no concept of what supporting a club really is.  I am not disolutioned and if Christie did start to loose game after game and I thought we were in trouble then I would also post my doubts but if anything IMO the club has improved since he has taken the saddle, the teams performance at home if nothing else. 

How can you expect not to receive criticism after making such a ridiculous statement

Harry ..... I don't really know why I'm bothering answering this, beacuse you are a very ignorant little man, but:

"the key to our success" - there is no doubting our success over the past 11 years. What I would like is for continued success. What has worked to get us to this level is not enough to develop us further, or even sustain us.

"Levein had to make his start somewhere" - very true Harry. And he did. At a lower league club, Cowdenbeath, not at an SPL one.

"The reason people have reacted so strongly" - Harry, it is you who has reacted strongly. I take major issue with you telling me how to support a club. I will do it in my own way. I am simply questioning whether Christie is the right choice to have at the helm of ICT, or whether we should be showing more ambition and having someone who has already earned respect as a coach or manager, and who has a reputation, to be working over him.

Now, in future, if you have anything of value to contribute to a post - or wish to engage in a friendly conversation - you are welcome.

If you wish to dish out abuse, then please do so elsewhere.

What has worked to get us to this level is not enough to develop us further, or even sustain us.

Well it has worked or the last 2 seasons what gives you reason to think otherwise??

"Levein had to make his start somewhere" - very true Harry. And he did. At a lower league club, Cowdenbeath, not at an SPL one.

Yes and there are plenty of managers that have started at higher level and maintained it.  I expect after CC playing for, and working beside Pele, Robbo & Brew he would have picked up a thing or 2.... only time will tell how he will do but that is the whole point you haven't given him the chance to prove himself!!!

"The reason people have reacted so strongly" - Harry, it is you who has reacted strongly. I take major issue with you telling me how to support a club. I will do it in my own way. I am simply questioning whether Christie is the right choice to have at the helm of ICT, or whether we should be showing more ambition and having someone who has already earned respect as a coach or manager, and who has a reputation, to be working over him.

Sorry... maybe I should have re-phrased that "the reason I have reacted so strongly"

You aren't just questioning his appointment, you are saying he should step down and have picked a manager you would prefer to be in charge of the team, which "I take major issue with"

Now, in future, if you have anything of value to contribute to a post - or wish to engage in a friendly conversation - you are welcome.

If you wish to dish out abuse, then please do so elsewhere.

Harry ..... I don't really know why I'm bothering answering this, beacuse you are a very ignorant little man

Now who's you dishing out the insults??

I said I was 100% behind CC as the 'right man for the job' before he even applied and I still firmly believe that he will develop into an excellent manager. I was even more sure of this when he managed to get Parkie as his assistant.

Even if I had not agreed with his appointment, I dont think he has yet had time to prove anyone right or wrong beyond any doubt. However, we are all entitled to our opinions and Bonzo, I choose to disagree with yours. One of us will be proved right in the end and I hope (for both Charlie and the club's sake) it is me and those others who support Charlie as manager.

Other than a couple of dodgy results, I really cant see anything Charlie has done wrong and there is not a manager in the country that can claim to have got it right 100% of the time. 5 wins on the trot at the end of last season without conceding a goal (an SPL record) and a decent start to this season with the exception of the St Mirren game where, yes, I think he got things a little wrong (and I am sure he knows that) is not a bad start to a managerial career.

Where you might have a point is in his profile. Although he did once ply his trade at Celtic, he is very much a local boy as we know, as is Grassa so there may be merit in your assertion that it will be difficult to attract 'names' to the TCS. This is not Charlie's fault, and I think his recent comments about scouting and such like show he is acutely aware how difficult it is to attract established 'stars' to the club and also shows that he is trying to do something about that by looking at additional methods of getting players.

Whilst Robbo and Brewster may have had credentials and contacts from SPL days that made it slightly easier to get players, I prefer to look at the Pele era for signing inspirations. Paterson wasnt all that well known, coming to us from Huntly and also complained about the 'geography factor' on more than one occasion but he managed to sign loads of good players - some gems that were previously unknown, and some whose careers had gone off-track and were 'resurrected' in Inverness. This is probably what Charlie will have to do until we get a scouting system running properly. I have faith in him to get it right.

:clapping04: :clapping04: :clapping04:

Well said Scotty.  Couldn't have put it better myself.  The only point I will make is that CC may be a local boy, but Parkie has plenty contacts in the game, including the Scotland youth team.  I think Parkie is well known and well respected in the game and would have the central belt contacts that Charlie might not.  Not sure if this is really an issue or not, although a proper scouting system would certainly help things along.

I wish Charlie all the very best as manager and I'm sure he will be a success.  He has the club at heart, that's for sure.  When we don't win a game there will be nobody hurting more than himself.

Quote from Bonzo

Quote from Bonzo

Harry ..... I don't really know why I'm bothering answering this, beacuse you are a very ignorant little man

Two statements from the same person, one contradicting the other, shows just why folk are not taking your comments seriously Bonzo. Now. I go along with Scotty in that I will reserve judgement until I have all the facts and figures and that will be in a season or two. In eleven years we have bettered ourselves each season bar one so I trust the Board of ICT to have made, and agreed to, the right choices for this club.

Guest Rebelwithoutaclue

Craig Levein was one of my possible candidates just before CC appointment but not at this time.

talk the talk. dream the dream. But we should settle in the meantime for survival which i believe the current set up will deliver. ICT are still not considered a permanent fixture in the SPL by our southern counterparts. And anyway why import players when we can grow our own?

Be patient. Look at Livi - promotion, europe, CIS cup, relegation.

Slow and steady works for me in SPL. But i  don't see why we can't manage a cup double  :016: