FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Matchday Thread: ICT -V- Celtic

Scotty

its going to be merged IHE !!!

and yes, you are right, you DO get the benefit of way more relaxed rules than others !!! we will tighten it up so you get treated like everyone else this year :024:

Can't have too many complaints with today's result. We failed to captilise on our first half dominance and were blown away in the second 45 mins.

Good individual perfrormances from Gillet, Odiambho and my MotM Esson but there weren't any real failures. Defence looked shaky at times with Munro making a few howlers but luckily we weren't punished. Celtic obviously got a big kick up the ass at half-time and we just couldn't cope with the pace.

I think we have a good first 11 when everyone is fit but there isn't much on the bench

Anyone know why Bloomenstein went off? Hair injury??

:_shocked2: Feck me was that Eric in the goal ?!!

No but I'm making that decision based on surprise alone. I knew Esson could perform like that, but where has Eric been storing a performance like that for one and a half seasons?

Well fair enuff point there as I have to say that was the best game that I have ever seen Eric play - especially the first half - he has clearly been in the Gym concentarting on the upper body exercises.

:_shocked2: Feck me was that Eric in the goal ?!!

No but I'm making that decision based on surprise alone. I knew Esson could perform like that, but where has Eric been storing a performance like that for one and a half seasons?

Eric was that good when we were last in the SPL and he was brilliant in pre season_thumbup.gifhe just didn't have the room to play in the SFL

Scotty - I wus only feckin joking mun.
I wasnt :_blah:

Overall, a good game and hopefully it may answer some questions about whether we can compete in the SPL this year. I think we can, and although losing this one was disappointing, it wasnt a disaster !!!

No complaints from me. Apart from the first 20 minutes they were pretty well 'all over us', and could have had 3 or 4. I thought our defence played really well and couldn't really fault any of them, with Esson and Gillet the pick. Apart from at the start we didn't dominate in midfield which meant that up front we didn't really feature. Only one half chance for Rooney in whole game.

Nevertheless, I am not too discouraged. We will probably play poorer than that this season and win. Good to see Hayes play most of the match. I'm confident that he'll be a handful for most teams when 100% fit. Good too to see Eric feature pretty well at this level, especially in first half.

Overall a 6+/10 from me, still leaving me with plenty optimism for the season.

Berks, calls it for me, I thought young nick was fantastic and he saved us a couple of times, his goal line clear was.good reaction from him, Eric wasn't bad, Roonys movement was good, Rosscos long hoofs at times let us down, grantys too but twice grant played a good long ball, Hayes was covered well, the ref was.am OF ref, samaras twice hand ball no cards and a couple of decisions went the wring way, I'm happy with what I saw.

We had our little honeymoon period in the 1st 20 minutes in which we were excellent but Celtic were deserved winners today with a 1-0 score which flattered us. Could have been 3 or 4 easily.

Coutos for Esson, Rosscoe and Gillet, best players of the day for me. Nick Ross did as well as he could but he struggled to get into the game.

I hope Gil isn't too seriously injured. With Foran already out for a month the last thing we need is another injury. We look pritty frail going forward imo. Too much route one football today which was never going to work. Still think we could use 2 more midfielders. We didn't really have any options on the bench today.

Overall can't have too much to complain about but there is plenty for big Tel to cotend with in the coming weeks.

Pretty much what everyone else has said. We were excellent in the first half, but got totally outplayed in the second. It could realistically have been 4 or 5 to them if they'd taken their chances, and didn't have Samaras.

Defence was solid I thought. Esson was excellent. McCann looked very good, but Gillet was my MOTM. Great buy. Cox was a bit anonymous in the middle, and I thought Ross just didn't get into the game at all.

Can't be too disappointed. It's the teams we expect to be around us we need to take the points off, anything against the likes of the OF is a bonus.

Could he take a leaf out of Craig Brewster's fitness approach I wonder?

There is no doubt that he DID seem to get them fit enough to still have plenty of running in them after 90 minutes.

Were Celtic THAT much fitter than Caley Thistle or was it just that they had more overall classy players?

SP - it wasnt really down to fitness (apart from Hayes which was acceptable) - there was a gap in class in the second half, we were second best and we played far too deep defensively. Hayes looked the class man fer 15-20 minutes but Maloney was easily the overall MOM and we never got close enuff to him.

SP - it wasnt really down to fitness (apart from Hayes which was acceptable) - there was a gap in class in the second half, we were second best and we played far too deep defensively. Hayes looked the class man fer 15-20 minutes but Maloney was easily the overall MOM and we never got close enuff to him.

I agree with all that. I think that was a very creditable performance on the whole. my only complaint would be against Gil. He showed nothing at all and seems to have very little game awareness.

I agree with all that. I think that was a very creditable performance on the whole. my only complaint would be against Gil. He showed nothing at all and seems to have very little game awareness.

He has high game awareness it was that he pulled his hamstring or a muscle in that area

• Agree 1

I didnt see too much of the game today. Apart from anything else....the live feed was REALLY POOR quality, thats when it didnt freeze. In all honesty....if we could keep celtic to 1-0 in every game we play them we will be doing good. Our season is gonna revolve around how we do against the likes of Killie, Hamilton, St Johnstone and St Mirren. Them are the teams i reaalistically expect us to do something against.

Edited by SMEE

Happy nuff with the game. Plenty of positive's to take from it, and a few things to work on.

Bearing in mind the money Celtic has spent this summer, it's no surprise they should dominate at any point. They can afford to spend more on one player than we have in our entire history as a club.

Considering Fleetwood have a bigger budget than we do, and Celtic have the budget of a lower EPL team, it's like Blackburn playing Crawley Town.

MoM - Eric/Esson.

What a waste of money !!

How much cash do Celtic spend on transfer fees and wages to get their players on to the pitch, in the first half we made them look terrible, absolutely terrible, it was all one way traffic, money well wasted, well done for that. The game reminded me of a cup which we didn't win last season,we played so well in the first half of that match too, from that day I had a real sense of belief that the team could fight their way up the table, after many tough games, they won the league cup with ease.

Today I left the ground a happy man,reminded of how good ICT are and can be, for all the money which was invested in the Celtic team, ICT were by far the superior team in the first half.

From what I saw today I have faith in ICT having a very good season.

• Agree 1

FIRST HALF:

Well we are on a par with the Mighty Tims and if it was a boxing match we would be just ahead on points. The first 20 minutes was the first time ever that I have witnessed us totally dominate a game against the Old Filth. Then we took the foot off the pedal a little bit, ten minutes of midfield possession for both teams but the Tims looked stronger as half time loomed.

We had a big fright after 22 seconds when it looked like Hayes was going to be carted off but it looked like a kidney knock and he was only really winded. The TV suggested that the initial foul took place outside the box and it was Hayes momentum that carried him in to the box. I have seen penalties given for that before and I suspect that if it was the 22nd minute it may have been given - harshly probably but what the feck. But the ref sinalled against Hayes.

Hayes then went on to torment Mulgrew and everything was going through Hayes - The Telly showed the "attempts" after 15 minutes - 4-0 ICT.

Rooney volleyed over in 5 mins after good interchange by Eric and Mccann; Hayes went close on 9 mins; Mulgrew should have had a yellow in the 12th minute for blatantly taking Hayes out of the game; Cellic then nearly scored against the run of play in he 14th but McCann put in a great saving block; Russeldhino hit a wqeak snap shot on target in the 15th; Again why didnt Samaras get booked in the 16th min for a blatant hand ball; Eric headed over a Hayes cross in the 17tyh minute but he was moving away from the goal on impact; Maloney hit the post on a 1:1 with Esson and I felt Rosscoe played him onside; Rooney headed over a difficult chancs from a Ross cross in the 26th minute; Ledley had a good chance in the 36th minute but rosscoe got a toe to a shot that may well have hit the net; Lennon gets a talking to by Callum Murray after gobbing off about a Samaras challenge wich the ref ignored - even though Cox clearly fouled him; Nick Ross saved a goalbound header from a corner in the 41st and Fortune hit Esson with a strike in the 47th.

Positives are that most players are trying to play football and Cellic look disorganised - where the feck is Fortune playing ?, Ledley is anonymous and their defence looks really heavy legged. Negatives are that Maloney looks a real threat but fortunately at the moment is playing too deep; Nick Ross has held his own but looks a bit taken in by the atmosphere and Hayes is looking knackered plus Rosscoe and Granty are winning nearly everything but they are getting caught out of position too often - especially Rosscoe.

And PLEASE, PLEASE learn the lesson of playing really tight for the first five minutes of the second feckin half as Cellic will be coming out of the box with a vengeance.

Back to the game, the Boddies and the voddie !!

SECOND HALF:

Well we totally dominated the second half for 70 seconds and then played goals and byes. We almost turned the tables with a Rooney run down the wing and Eric close to getting on to the cross and then Russell, off balance scuffs a 20 yarder. But then Cellic upped the pace and simply took over. Cox clumsily took out Brown on 47 and Esson did well to turn the Mulgrew free kick round the post. Esson saved the day again with a good stop from Ledley two minutes later after a defence splitting pass by Maloney. Again Samaras could well have been booked in the 53rd and then Nick Ross had a real half chance to score. Cha misinterpreted the cross but Nick heahed weakly in to the keeper. To be fair he probably didnt expect Cha to misstime it but he could have chested it down.

McCourt scored the onl goal of the game in the 55th minute and weaved across the 18 yard line before smashing it home whilst most of our players stood off him possibly worrying that he was going for the pen. McCann was blameless cos he was covering the overlap but Rosscoe dived in, Cox stood off, Munro stood off and Duncan could have clattered him. McCann then sprained his neck by running in to Maloney and had to go off.

Brown had a chance in 60 when again Munro and Rosscoe stood off him; Gil came on fer Nick Ross in 61 and went wide left; Maloney had a chance to score in 62 but Rosscoe tidied it up in the 6 yard box. Samaras fortunately went for goal when a cut back to Maloney would have made it 2-0 a minute later. Maloney almost scored in the 66 and Fortune was too lat and hit the side netting.

Rooney then shouldered Hooveld off the ball and a promising move ended when the ball hit Hooveld and went out fer a touch - but we were soon defending again. Maloney had another chance which Rosscoe blocked in 74; Forrest misssed an absolute sitter in 76 - by that time the TV was showing 75/25 % possesion to Cellic !!

Proctor came on fer Gil on 77 and Gill looks as if he has a tweaked, hopefully not torn hamstring. Sutherland came on far too late for a struggling Hayes in the 86 minuted, Esson saved from Cha and then Forrest hit the post.

MATCH SUMMARY:

We missed our chance in the first half where we dominated and outplayed Cellic fer long periods but Cellic upped the pace in the second half and it always looked more likely that they would grab a second goal instead of us stealing an equaliser. Maloney was immense in the last 60 minutes, Brown and Ledley took control of midfield and Fortune wide all of a sudden became a real threat. I may now sound harsh - as not many teams wil live with Cellic if they play like they did in the second half but we really did capitualte. We looked to have run out of legs - Hayes and Ross were passengers and we had no outlet. We start losing all the 50/50's and I felt that Rosscoe and Munro played far too deep - evidently worried about pace. I hope TB plays the video as the goal was terrible defending and Rosscoe and Munro did not appear to be communicating and Rosscoe is still playing as a full back which you cant afford to do in the SPL.

SMILEYMOMETER - Evidently I had the advantage of the telly and the replays and some peeple at the game may find this harsh but I am going to rate it as I saw it - taking away the fact it was against Cellic.

ESSON :ictscarf::ictscarf::ictscarf::ictscarf: My MOM - kept the score down to 1 and was always looking to start off attacks. Tuffey will be warming the SPL bench for at least another game.

McCANN :ictscarf::ictscarf::ictscarf: I have criticised him but he was pretty solid and looks to play football.

ROSSCOE :ictscarf::ictscarf: May well have looked effective with his aerial prowess and spectacular blocks and clearances but I feel he simply does not have the pace for the SPL. Got caught out of position on a few occasions, tends to jump in to tackles and surprisingly appeared not to be on the same communication level as Granty. And can Terry and Mo plese feckin show him how to cushion hoofs and headers.

GRANTY :ictscarf::ictscarf::ictscarf: I thought thta he did well in spite of having to cover for Rosscoes faults.

GILLET :ictscarf::ictscarf::ictscarf: First look and impressed. He had fortune wrapped up in the first half and probably came out level in the 2nd when his cover from left midfield went missing.

HAYES :ictscarf::ictscarf::ictscarf: Looked the best player on the park for the first 20 minutes but then simply faded in to obscurity. he wasnt gettting the ammunition but he looke far from fit.

COX :ictscarf::ictscarf::ictscarf: Quietly effective - Coxy and Russell ran the midfield in the first half but were always on their toes and going backwards in the second

RUSSELDHINO :ictscarf::ictscarf::ictscarf: as per Cox - some great cross field passsing in the firts half

ROSS :ictscarf::ictscarf: Had his moments but looked a class below everybody else on the pitch. Suffered from having to play on the left and never really looked comfortable there.

ERIC :ictscarf::ictscarf::ictscarf: Much improved and put in a good enuff shift - has to concentrate on improving his first touch in training and how to control the ball when dribbling.

ROONEY :ictscarf::ictscarf::ictscarf: Ploughe a lone and lonely furrow - held the ball up well and worked his socks off but never had a sniff

GIL :ictscarf: Why put him on the feckin wide left - didnt do anything and limped off

PROCTOR :ictscarf::ictscarf::ictscarf: I would have taken him on fer Ross at half time.

SUTHERLAND :ictscarf::ictscarf: Should have been on 15 minutes earlier for Hayes who was a passenger

TERRY AND MO :ictscarf::ictscarf::ictscarf: I bet that they are kciking themselves that we didnt go in at least 1-0 up at half time but not much they could do to change it in the second - only criticism is that they could have gambled with Sutherland and kept Ross and especially Hayes on fer too long.

CALLUM MURRAY: :_wink: :_fart: No complaints overall but the Hayes attack in the first minute was a free kick at least and he bottled out of booking Mulgrew and Samaras.

OVERALL : :ictscarf::ictscarf::ictscarf: We showed spirit and enthusiasm and were by far the better side in the second half. We can only improve and we would have beaten the majority of SPL teams on the day with a performance like that.

BUMP - probably will be put back by a mod though :_moon:

In the second half, there was a loss of motivation, fitness of both. Hayes, Cox, Duncan, Odi all floundered. True they put in a power of work in the first half, but it caught up later. This will change as the season progresses.

Yep, we rode our luck, was it 3 off the woodwork? But we will play worse and win this season, several times. An encouraging display.

In the second half, there was a loss of motivation, fitness of both. Hayes, Cox, Duncan, Odi all floundered. True they put in a power of work in the first half, but it caught up later. This will change as the season progresses.

Yep, we rode our luck, was it 3 off the woodwork? But we will play worse and win this season, several times. An encouraging display.

Nothing that a few cans of red bull cant fix_panting.gif

No complaints in the end as we faded in the second half and they probably should have scored more. Very happy with the overall performance and I think we will keep improving as the season progresses. I thought the defence was strong especially Esson and at times in the first half we gave a good account of our selves. Before the game I couldn't see who would score for us as we are a bit wanting up front but no real complaints and can't wait till we are back to full strength. See you all at Dundee next week!

Lots of positives to be taken from that. I know there was a lot of talk about how Celtic might not be great when you looked at the team sheet but it was still full of internationals. They were a very slick side.

Don't think anyone stood out for us as being poor. Couple of comments regarding the defence but that was down to Maloney, he took up some superb positions and his movement was excellent. He kept coming off our centre halfs into the space between the defence and midfield which left Grant and Rosscoe with the dilema of whether to follow him or not. When they did this meant McCann/Gillet had to tuck in and thus the space opened on the flanks.

Odihambo has improved immeasurably- was able to find space and link up with the midfield and Rooney until he tired. Ditto Rooney, looked strong and had the legs on the Celtic defence. Just a pity he was isolated at times. Once Hayes gets fully fit he is going to tear up the SPL, Mulgrew must have had twisted blood after 20mins, just a pity it couldn't be sustained.

Was extremely pleasing to see us playing football in the first half instead of this lump it up the park nonsense. On this display we'll comfortably hold our own this season.

• Agree 1