FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Away Fans today

Agent N

The problem is that both sides of the infirm have flags, banners, songs etc not because of what the ly believe in, but to have them to antagonise (or at least try to) other sets of fans. That's the problem with this situation. I wasn't at the game when someone at our game had a Palestine flag on display. I didn't agree with the fan being told to put it away (or having it taken off them) as I genuinely believe they were actually supporting the Palestinian people that day by attending the rally and then going to the game. Why was it that Celtic 'fans'' were allowed to have flags in the away end on Saturday? I'm left pretty confused by this.

Probably quite a few county fans in there wanting so see some SPL action! Probably would explain the chants aimed at our manager.

I would have thought that the fact our manager was once skipper of a successful Rangers side might have had more bearing on why the Celtic fans were so keen to chant at him than a handful of County supporters being in the crowd.

How many political connotations does Celtic need? I saw Irish flags on Saturday, a Palestinian flag, even a flag of the Basque Country! I'm quite glad that due to ICT's age and location, it seems to immune from any of this baggage.

Celtic Football club have no such political connotations other than John "the *****" Ried. It's the fans that have these flags. Tbh, i don't really see the problem. Would you be annoyed if someone had an American flag with ICT on it?

What about the group of flags above one of the stands at Parkhead? At least of them is an Irish tricolour. I know that cause I've seen them myself.

Celtic Football club have no such political connotations other than John "the *****" Ried. It's the fans that have these flags. Tbh, i don't really see the problem. Would you be annoyed if someone had an American flag with ICT on it?

Though more often that not, this is all mistaken for sectarian hatered which is obviously going to happen when you live in a place like Scotland who is full of veeery small minded people.

You've never lived in Glasgow have you? Celtic fans have a huge number of sectarian bigots in their rank and file. Share a train, bus or housing scheme with a handful and your green-tinted glasses will soon come off. I don't have a problem with Celtic representing young Catholic kids, descended from Irish roots but if you think it stops at that and the IRA are not still glorified or that sectarian abuse by Celtic supporters never happens (don't need to point out the other lot do it, do I?), then I've got good news for you...

...my uncle who is President of the Bank of Nigeria recently died and I have ?15M I need to transfer into a bank account in Scotlandshire, Edinboro. You will receive 50%, so for that I need your name, address, date of birth, sort code and bank account number.

May God's grace be with you

Reverend Robert Buguwala

Son of Presedent bank of niGeria

• Agree 3

Okay then, what about home fans screaming "I hate those F**ian c**ts, get into those F**ian ba**ards"? We are not without our own bigots.

Exactly what I say PMF. Every team, outside the OF, has fans who follow them for the most part but, because of their religious upbringing, have a soft spot for one or the other of the OF And I probably wouldn't be far wrong if I stated that around 50% of our fans have stronger leanings towards them than us. Thats nothing to do with the age of our club. All the established clubs have the same. These are OF fans who'll never get an opportunity to visit Glasgow but who see their local club as a chance to get a glimpse of their real team. Its all over Scotland The OF fans also have problems distinguishing who's who among the opposition teams. Example from experience.........(some may know of the cage at Brockville) I'm at a game at Brockville with a Falkirk supporting mate. Game v Rangers. High fence seperates us from the Rangers fans. My mate is very vociferous and Falkirk chants are very forthcoming. From the other side of the cage a little voice pipes up............shut the f"ck up you fenian b@st@rd. The kid was about 8 and, I would think, brought up to think all opposition were followers of the fen. That, unfortunately, is the world we live in but, when it happens at our ground, we need to ignore it and rise above it. Dont make a big thing about it, and if all the other teams could do the same, it will go away. The more those asses see us debate the problem the more they'll continue. React and they counter. Ignore and they'll get bored.

Fact is, Celtic have a good few sectarian and bigoted fans. But every fan of other club in Scotland exageratte it to such a great deal. They say that every fan of either side of the OF is a bigot. For instance.. look at this thread. Started to complain YET again about the OF. **** sake, how many times does it need to be brought up that most of you think OF fans are bigots?

Instead of thinking on two sides, like i have to being on an Inverness forum, it is safe to say that - as i have said - you just think that its all bollocks because every Celtic fan that waves a National flag of a country other than Scotland is a bigot and there to cause trouble. Ever thought that maybe they just arn't as oh so nationalistic towards Scotland as you might be? That they might sympithise with a country other than their own. Which is not a crime. Though you would think it looking at this forum.

Then someone will say "But it has no place in football" Utter Bollocks. Things like Palastine, The Troubles, Catalonia, The Spainish Civil War.. Factors in the Political world that are held close to the heart of a person or a group have always been shown off in Football. Long before anyone on this forum was around anyway. Just like when crowds sang the name of Neville Chamberlin after he came back from the Munich agreement!

If you don't want Politics in Football, why the poppy?The Soldiers getting free tickets? Not saying i disagree with either.. its just a question

I have ranted a lot. I can't even make sense of half the ***** i have written. I am not claiming to be a nuetral and that i see things the way they truely are. I have a bias. But, so does nearly everyone on this forum and just as i might be looking through tinted glasses, so are a lot of you. So just remember that when trying to act like a Saint and casting mis-givings over to others who see differently from yourself.

• Disagree 3

My religion has diddly squat to do with supporting ICT and I certainly don't favour either of the old-firm although I do wish them both well when it comes to European football, albeit less so than other Scottish teams (does this makes me a bigot? If so I don't care. I am bigotted against both the old-firm when they play in domestic competition but when it comes to old-firm derbies I couldn't give a monkey's).

Fact is, Celtic have a good few sectarian and bigoted fans. But every fan of other club in Scotland exageratte it to such a great deal. They say that every fan of either side of the OF is a bigot. For instance.. look at this thread. Started to complain YET again about the OF. **** sake, how many times does it need to be brought up that most of you think OF fans are bigots?

Instead of thinking on two sides, like i have to being on an Inverness forum, it is safe to say that - as i have said - you just think that its all bollocks because every Celtic fan that waves a National flag of a country other than Scotland is a bigot and there to cause trouble. Ever thought that maybe they just arn't as oh so nationalistic towards Scotland as you might be? That they might sympithise with a country other than their own. Which is not a crime. Though you would think it looking at this forum.

Then someone will say "But it has no place in football" Utter Bollocks. Things like Palastine, The Troubles, Catalonia, The Spainish Civil War.. Factors in the Political world that are held close to the heart of a person or a group have always been shown off in Football. Long before anyone on this forum was around anyway. Just like when crowds sang the name of Neville Chamberlin after he came back from the Munich agreement!

If you don't want Politics in Football, why the poppy?The Soldiers getting free tickets? Not saying i disagree with either.. its just a question

I have ranted a lot. I can't even make sense of half the ***** i have written. I am not claiming to be a nuetral and that i see things the way they truely are. I have a bias. But, so does nearly everyone on this forum and just as i might be looking through tinted glasses, so are a lot of you. So just remember that when trying to act like a Saint and casting mis-givings over to others who see differently from yourself.

1.16am? Hmm, I hope you can translate it for us when you're sober :laugh:

Edited by TheMantis

Well, I grew up in West Central Scotland and from what I see, Celtic don't have a significant minority of bigots in their heartland...it's the majority. The songs were all full of IRA and anti-protestant sentiment. No exaggeration. Sectarian violence. Verbal abuse. It's a completely different atmosphere to liking Celtic in the Highlands. Wear a Rangers shirt to the Barras and see how well-meaning the hardcore of Celtic fans are.

So it's perfectly acceptable to boo black players too? That's political. It's pretty obvious you sympathise with left-wing politics (so do I as it happens) but it can't be that the left can have a voice but the right, with Nazi flags, BNP leaflets, anti-immigration rhetoric and racist chanting are denied just because it's not the kind of politics you like.

I have a bias.

You hide it well.

But, so does nearly everyone on this forum and just as i might be looking through tinted glasses, so are a lot of you. So just remember that when trying to act like a Saint and casting mis-givings over to others who see differently from yourself.

Don't think you have to be saint to condemn religious bigotry and support for terrorism that was only supported by a minority of Catholics in their own country. Likewise, I don't think you have to be a saint to denounce the booing of black players either.

Obviously, as you're a Celtic supporter, why not just blame everything on a Masonic conspiracy. That's what you lot usually do.

• Agree 1

Well, I grew up in West Central Scotland and from what I see, Celtic don't have a significant minority of bigots in their heartland...it's the majority. The songs were all full of IRA and anti-protestant sentiment. No exaggeration. Sectarian violence. Verbal abuse. It's a completely different atmosphere to liking Celtic in the Highlands. Wear a Rangers shirt to the Barras and see how well-meaning the hardcore of Celtic fans are.

Jesus... songs about the IRA are not sectarian. They are not bigoted either except maybe one or two. No, they are not in the majority. You think because you lived in the central belt for a while you must know it all? I have most my family living there. I go down on a regular basis. Also, being a Celtic fan i see these things first hand. But i can assure you it is very much in the minority

So it's perfectly acceptable to boo black players too? That's political. It's pretty obvious you sympathise with left-wing politics (so do I as it happens) but it can't be that the left can have a voice but the right, with Nazi flags, BNP leaflets, anti-immigration rhetoric and racist chanting are denied just because it's not the kind of politics you like.

I take it your suggesting they Boo protestant players? Well thats a pile of bollocks and its obvious you don't actually pay much attention.

Your compairing the waving of a Tri-colour or a Palastinian flag the same as the Swastika? Now that really is rediculous. Everyone has the free will to wave these flags if they want. Not my fault if the government see flying the swastika a little more negative than flying a Tri-colour.

I have a bias.

You hide it well.

But, so does nearly everyone on this forum and just as i might be looking through tinted glasses, so are a lot of you. So just remember that when trying to act like a Saint and casting mis-givings over to others who see differently from yourself.

Don't think you have to be saint to condemn religious bigotry and support for terrorism that was only supported by a minority of Catholics in their own country. Likewise, I don't think you have to be a saint to denounce the booing of black players either.

Obviously, as you're a Celtic supporter, why not just blame everything on a Masonic conspiracy. That's what you lot usually do.

Thats your fecking problem! You're so hung up on the whole Catholic-Protestant! Most Celtic fans who support the IRA's actions hate Sectarianism. For the simple reason people like Wolfetone were Protestants but fought for Irish Independace.

Some Celtic fans maybe hooked on a conspiracy. But, people like you are hooked on the idea all Old-Firm fans are sent from the devil to destroy our beloved Country and cause trouble

Jesus... songs about the IRA are not sectarian. They are not bigoted either except maybe one or two.

:rolleyes: Great argument there. Did you not realise you were disproving your own argument in the same sentence as you made it and contradicting your own point. You are right though...Jesus!

Edited by Joe DiMaggio

Jesus... songs about the IRA are not sectarian. They are not bigoted either except maybe one or two.

:rolleyes: Great argument there. Did you not realise you were disproving your own argument in the same sentence as you made it and contradicting your own point. You are right though...Jesus!

Well nearly all of them arn't. Maybe a couple of them might be counted as bigoted because they probably say stuff like **** off out of Ireland ya british ********. Never know these days though

Well nearly all of them arn't. Maybe a couple of them might be counted as bigoted because they probably say stuff like **** off out of Ireland ya british ********. Never know these days though

How can you say they 'probably say stuff' if you don't actually know then how can you argue against it?

Maybe...probably...none are bigoted excepet one or two...

You don't half talk nonsense...probably...maybe...deffinitely!

Edited by Joe DiMaggio

It's worth mentioning what happened at Tannadeechay today. You have to pass loads of Arabs on the way up to the main road after the game. You've no idea how many of them stopped to say 'well done' after we'd annihilated their team 4-0.

On the other hand, I've twice been at games when we beat Celtic. Both times their fans were gobbing at us after the game, swearing at female car park stewards, etc etc.

DC, there's no way I can say this without sounding patronising. As you get older and see more of the world and meet more people who are not 'Celtic minded' and don't share your conspiracy theories, your views will change. Very few people retain these partisan views into middle age.

It's the same with the other lot, except we don't seem to have any of them on this forum. Thankfully ICT are most people's big team as opposed to supporters of the wee team OTB where it seems to be quite common to have a big team.

• Agree 1

It's worth mentioning what happened at Tannadeechay today. You have to pass loads of Arabs on the way up to the main road after the game. You've no idea how many of them stopped to say 'well done' after we'd annihilated their team 4-0.

On the other hand, I've twice been at games when we beat Celtic. Both times their fans were gobbing at us after the game, swearing at female car park stewards, etc etc.

Wasn't at Tannadice today but I can well believe that Mantis, I reckon most fans outside of the Old Firm have that attitude to each other. During the game you want to win more than anything, before and after the football is in it's proper place and the banter pre and post match enjoyed in pubs across the country is proof to that.

Having lived in Glasgow for a good few years now I feel I know how elements of Old Firm fans behave and it's for this reason I made the decision a few seasons back not to bother going to any ICT games at Ibrox or Parkhead. I don't enjoy the experience of visiting either ground and pay handsomely for the privilege of doing so, and is not what, for me anyway, going to the football should be about.

Scottish football would be a far better and enjoyable place without them.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate when sectarian songs are sung at football. Some Celtic fans do it, but i know for a fact they dont get away with it as those in the "Green Brigade" are against all that.. so a friend has told me who is a member.

Boys of the Old Brigade ect are not sectarian, they are in the same league as flower of Scotland! They have been sung by Celtic fans since the 30s and will probably always be.

The Flair looked rediculous from TV though they are the sort of things i would love to see in Scottish football. Flairs look good in Turkish games ect and help create a good atmosphere.

http://ifyouknowtheirhistory.blogspot.com/2010/09/celtic-fans-battle-at-jock-stein.html

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1