FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Blackpool want dundees griffiths

Doofer

This is in the gossip section of the bbc website i must add but ?150,000 for a 1st division player? ICT dont get that for our SPL players. Somethings not quite right here. Also it says this is a cut price as dundee are in administration, how much would he be worth if dundee were out of the woods? ?250,000? More? If griffiths is worth ?150,000+ then rooney must be worth ?250,000 easily!

He is young and has great potential, that's why clubs would bid six figures for him. Burnley signed Kevin McDonald from First Division Dundee for half a million quid a few years ago.

Even though they aren't splashing the cash Blackpool are earning tens of millions of pounds this season from TV money so spending ?100,000+ on a young player who, if he succeeds, will have big resale value makes sense. Having said that they should wait a few weeks and buy him off KPMG for ?150.

Even though they aren't splashing the cash Blackpool are earning tens of millions of pounds this season from TV money

Im sure i have heard/read figures of as much as ?90M being stated! And for that reason...ad be holding out for a few more quid for the player

Its also to do with perspective and personnel ..... !!!

Regardless of the fact that we overtook Dundee's 10 point lead last season (always feels good saying that) to win the title, and the fact we were in the SPL for 5 years prior to our relegation, we are still just that "wee team in/from the Highlands" that everyone thinks is in the middle of nowhere.... and thats just the Scottish Central Belt teams !!! Gawd knows what English teams think (although Watford might be impressed).

Add to that our - how shall I say it - 'apparent naivety' when dealing with contracts or transfer offers and we get offered considerably less for our players than some other teams.

It is not that Griffiths, Harkins or anyone else is worth 2 or 3 times an Ian Black, Don Cowie or a John Rankin but we make the mistake of not tying these guys up on longer contracts or worse still, wait until the last minute and try to make our contract offer compete with other teams who offer more and lose them on a Bosman.

I am hoping we can learn lessons from past years and react to Rooney's 'I want to stay' comment in the Courier last week and tie him up on a 3 or 4 year deal. He has proved he is worth it. I would say the same for Odhiambo, Ross, Hayes, and a few others ...... The players know that if an offer comes in, and it is decent, ICT will accept it, but doing it this way seems to make sense as it protects our investment in these players and maybe loses ICT that moniker of being a 'soft-touch' when it comes to transfers.

• Agree 4

He's only 20 and he is one of the brightest talents around in Scotland imo. Holloway has a history of developing players careers e.g Adam, DJ Campbell, Matt Gilks etc. I think it would be a good move for him. Blackpool have to stick withing their means financially i guess.

Its also to do with perspective and personnel ..... !!!

Regardless of the fact that we overtook Dundee's 10 point lead last season (always feels good saying that) to win the title, and the fact we were in the SPL for 5 years prior to our relegation, we are still just that "wee team in/from the Highlands" that everyone thinks is in the middle of nowhere.... and thats just the Scottish Central Belt teams !!! Gawd knows what English teams think (although Watford might be impressed).

Add to that our - how shall I say it - 'apparent naivety' when dealing with contracts or transfer offers and we get offered considerably less for our players than some other teams.

It is not that Griffiths, Harkins or anyone else is worth 2 or 3 times an Ian Black, Don Cowie or a John Rankin but we make the mistake of not tying these guys up on longer contracts or worse still, wait until the last minute and try to make our contract offer compete with other teams who offer more and lose them on a Bosman.

I am hoping we can learn lessons from past years and react to Rooney's 'I want to stay' comment in the Courier last week and tie him up on a 3 or 4 year deal. He has proved he is worth it. I would say the same for Odhiambo, Ross, Hayes, and a few others ...... The players know that if an offer comes in, and it is decent, ICT will accept it, but doing it this way seems to make sense as it protects our investment in these players and maybe loses ICT that moniker of being a 'soft-touch' when it comes to transfers.

For me, it's a very difficult call for clubs our size. It's all very well to seek longer term contracts for key players but they come with risks for both the club and the player. For it to work you need two willing parties (which I hope, and think, is the case with Adam Rooney) with the player being realistic about the finances they are willing to accept and the club being prudent in what they are willing to risk. In some cases I doubt if the club could ever have matched the demands of some who have departed.

The success of Don at Watford also makes things more difficult for the club as his former team mates will look on with envy at his success and perceived pay packet whilst wondering what if? I think it's harder for a lot of the Scottish clubs to offer significantly more than we can but in England, there is still plenty cash in the Championship and League One.

We as fans also expect a hell of a lot from our players at times. All want loyalty and commitment no matter what from those we value and expecting those we don't to bugger off no matter what their contract says. Could any of us really blame a young guy, in the peak of his form, for wanting to sit tight and see what options he has for his future before commiting further? Would any of us put a financial restriction around our earning capacity in the knowledge that without it we may be able to quadruple our earnings still doing something we love?

As for Leigh Griffiths, I expect him to go in January to the first club with a six figure offer. The administrator will make sure he does.

• Agree 2