FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

steve "beckenbauer" williams

nickydoc

I too agree another good TB acquisition, the defence is rapidly becoming a force to be reckoned with. A lot of clean sheets to come when these lads get properly established.

Celtic will be checking up on this and I wouldn't be surprised if an offer comes in for an ICT player to try to unsettle the team before the two matches coming up.

We can call their bluff and beat them though providing there are no more injuries in the offing. We have the players and the spirit to do so.

He seemed composed throughout with good distrubition... but for such a big lad, I dont think he won a single header in the match! Even the likes of Skacel and Elliot beat him to high balls, with Williams having no leap and almost ducking out of meeting the ball.

I hope that's him just misjudging the flight of the ball in the wind; but I'm withholding my praise for now.

I too agree another good TB acquisition, the defence is rapidly becoming a force to be reckoned with. A lot of clean sheets to come when these lads get properly established.

Celtic will be checking up on this and I wouldn't be surprised if an offer comes in for an ICT player to try to unsettle the team before the two matches coming up.

We can call their bluff and beat them though providing there are no more injuries in the offing. We have the players and the spirit to do so.

Williams wont be available for the cup game, as for Celtic coming in with an offer, it would be a sign of weakness on their part if they have to resort to that before the match, so I would be glad if they did as it would prove things arent as solid in their camp as they would like people to think.

Why would Williams not be available?

The only reason (as far as I am aware) that he could not play in the Pars replay was because the rules say you have to have been signed prior to the original fixture.

Well thats good news I did wonder why he wasnt allowed to play.

Steve actually appears to have done the rounds of lower league football in Central Lancashire. Born in Preston. Played for Charnock Richard (in the same league where I hung up ma boots!!). He may actually describe himself more as a "Brigger" than a Chorley boy as he spent more time playing for Bamber Bridge.

Note that Stuart McAll appears to rate him :

McCall still believes Williams can benefit City from playing regularly in Scotland, either coming back with a new determination – or getting his name out there for a potential move.

He said: “If Willo does really well, he is in the shop window. We have scouts who come to our games all the time.

“If he plays to the highest level he can then people will want to buy him. But it’s down to himself. He’s definitely got potential. Everything’s there that a centre half needs.

“Concentration levels need to be better but he has the strength, the speed and ability. It’s down to how much he wants it.”

It also appears that his future is also based on protecting his dodgy thigh which has dogged him since turning pro. Lets hope that he isnt a will o the wisp !!

Thought he had a good debut as well. Going up against the firepower Hearts have would always have been tricky and i thought towards the end when we were hanging on he did really well. Didnt mess about, just kept it simple. Seems like the kind of defender weve needed for a while.