FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Olympic Football Farce

DoofersDad

Not long to go before before the SPL starts, at least we have had the euros, tennis, and now the Olympics to pass the time.

We all have different views on lots of different things but its only a week now till we all get pulled back together to support Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Is the Flag of St George Flying at Wembly ?

I think not .

Maybe flying at Lords though? As it is the flag and HQ of the English cricket team, also the venue for the archery.

I don't remember seeing the state flag of Georgia flying at the Atlanta Olympics

The term rebellious Scots just referred to those Scots who rebelled ,

The majority of Scots did not rebel and would endorse the verse

It could just as easily have referred to rebelious English and Welsh who followed Monmouth

I'm sure it didn't include the many thousands of Scots in Wade's or Cumberland's armies.

What has that got to do with the London organisers making an almighty ****-up of displaying flags on a big screen. It had nothing to do with the SFA connection was the Tannoy announcer was the guy who does the job all the time with Gerry McCulloch comparing at half-time and between matches. There were stalls in front of the stands selling Scotland flags and union flags as well as the nations playing on the day. I know this because I was there. For the Honduras VS Morocco and Japan VS Spain game. On the value for money aspect it cost £20 for two games . Comparing that to two SPL games and the quality on show surely there's no contest. The daftest thing i saw was the Hand drier's in the bogs having the name of the manufacturer covered by masking tape and it wasn't Bovril you could have with you pie, Instead it's " Beefy drink " :ponder: ( Aka Bovril ). So in summary, it is silly to have so many rules around advertising but it's equally silly to make pronouncements about what was allowed if you weren't even there

I think the antics of Giggs and others is just another example of whty football should not be included in the olympics. Giggs would clearly rather play for Man Utd than his country and simply does not have a clue what performing in the Olympics is all about. The Olympics is about being proud to represent your country and performing to the very best of your ability. Giggs is doing neither. Giggs gets paid vast amounts of money for playing his sport whereas others train every bit as hard as him, earn nothing but some modest sponsorship and are immensly proud that they have this opportunity to represent their country in these great games. For many it is the one and only time in their careers that they have a chance for the wider public to appreciate the committment they give to their sport and the acheivements they have made. What the Olympics do not need is for these fine young men and women to have their moment of glory upstaged by some whinging overpaid footballers.

Early this morning, for instance a couple of British rowers set an Olympic record in their heat in the women's pairs. That's what I want to watch and applaud in the olympics but when the olympics are over I'll get back to watching football and not rowing and table tennis etc. Do us a favour, Ryan - make sure you lose the next 2 games and then we can all focus on sportsmen and women who understand what it means to represent their country in the olympics.

• Agree 4

I agree Ryan is not a great leader , he can play a bit part for United , at his age there is not much left in the tank.

I remember him playing for United as a seventeen year old, and with the exception of Duncan Edwards or maybe George Best the best 17 year old to grace Old Trafford. Like Paul Macca he is well passed his sell by date, and should get well out of it

I think he was a waste of an over age player. I think a good solid centre back, in (Chamoionship Manager game parlence) with lots of Influence would have been a far better choice. Someone like Taylor of Newcastle would have sorted out that woeful back four.

I think Stuart Pearce is not a good coach and should not have got the job

Just whilst I have the floor, I think I remember, and this is going back deep into an old man's memory bank that GB put a team into the Olympics , years ago, but in my life time, which comprised of the whole of the Queens Park team. Apparently all the players in those days had to be ameteur. I might be wrong but the Scottish FA stopped it occuring again ?

Early this morning, for instance a couple of British rowers set an Olympic record in their heat in the women's pairs.

One of the two, Heather Stanning, is a former pupil of Gordonstoun and has connections with Lossiemouth where her parents still live. That was a great performance! And of course the other big local interest is our own Mhairi Spence, Inverness Royal Academy FP (I think a couple of years ahead of Doofer) and world Modern Pentathlon champion. That on the last day of the Games, August 12th.

Early this morning, for instance a couple of British rowers set an Olympic record in their heat in the women's pairs.

One of the two, Heather Stanning, is a former pupil of Gordonstoun and has connections with Lossiemouth where her parents still live. That was a great performance! And of course the other big local interest is our own Mhairi Spence, Inverness Royal Academy FP (I think a couple of years ahead of Doofer) and world Modern Pentathlon champion. That on the last day of the Games, August 12th.

Zara Philips also went to Gordonstoun although I don't think we could claim her as a local.

A third former Gordonstoun pupil competing at the Olympics is Sheikh Saeed bin Maktoum Al Maktoum who was the flag bearer for the United Arab Emirates and is competing in one of the shooting events. Perhaps the club should write to him and ask if he would like to make a small investment of a billion or two in the nearest Premier Division club to his old school. Renaming the TCS at the Sheikh Saeed bin Maktoum Al Maktoum Stadium would go nicely with the fact that we have the longest club name in senior football in the UK.

Zara Philips also went to Gordonstoun although I don't think we could claim her as a local.

The Stanning family have got strong Lossiemouth links originating I think from the father's military posting there. So, although born in Yeovil (her Wikipedia entry wrongly states that it was Lossie), I understand that Heather was also a Lossie resident for a number of years so maybe even a local day pupil at Gordonstoun. I also think the parents still live in Lossie.

The subject of Zara Phillips reminds me of a classic Colin Baillie anecdote. Colin was refereeing a rugby match between Millburn and Gordonstoun of which Zara's brother Peter Phillips was team captain, so at the start of the game, Baillie flips the coin and says "Right son - tails or granny?!" :lol:

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

In my post above I refered to Sheikh Saeed bin Maktoum Al Maktoum. I am sure everyone has been far too polite to point out my error. His name is, of course, Sheikh Saeed bin Maktoum Bin Rashid Al Maktoum. I have been advised I need to correct this dreadful error if I ever want to fly Emiratres again.