FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Arbroath Smokies & Updates

tm4tj

We played really well tonight and the result was never in doubt. Could have scored half a dozen if we'd been a bit more clinical, and to be fair Tony Bullock made some good saves.

Our midfield was excellent, and as a result the defence and keeper had a comfortable night. Arbroath were restricted to blazing shots and free kicks over the bar from 20 yards.

I should add that both goals were very good too, with Sutherland feeding A Shinnie both times.

The first came from one of several good runs Shane made in the first half, skinning the left back with ease, then opting to roll it across to Shinnie in space who side footed it into the far corner from 12 yards. By no means a 'tap in' as someone decribed it earlier.

The second ball was played forward for Shinnie to run through the defence to the corner of the box. Still had a bit of work to do, took a further touch and blasted in off the underside for a spectacular finish.

Edited by Yngwie

Looks like Banjo is coming on for Arbroath. I'm looking around for a coo's arse. :amazed:

:lol: Obvious but very funny.

Thanks for all the bulletins. Looks like they re-focused after the Celtic fiasco. Onward and upward.

Esson :lol: :lol: :lol: Did what he had to do.

Meekings :lol: :lol: :lol: Well beaten in first few minutes, conceding a dangerous free kick, but played pretty well after that. Deserved his yellow for persistent fouling.

Warren :lol: :lol: :lol: Looked extremely comfortable.

King :lol: :lol: :lol: Far more solid than he was v Celtic

G Shinnie :lol: :lol: :lol: Made an important block in the first half.

Sutherland :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm no fan, but best game for ages. Ran confidently at defenders and beat them easily in 1st half. Very quiet 2nd half though. Set up both goals. His 3 shots were predictably high and wide. Several other times he cut in and passed across to teammates, declining a clear shooting opportunity.

OTJ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The tidiest passer we've had since, I dunno, Paul Sheerin?

Draper :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Great partnership with OTJ, dominating the midfield and controlling play.

Doran :lol: :lol: :lol: Good performance, just lacked a bit of penetration. Lucky not to get booked for diving.

A Shinnie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Class class class. MotM.

Mackay :lol: :lol: No lack of effort, but whatever he tried didn't quite come off. Shot tamely on the turn 8 yards out when taking a further touch or pass would have got us a goal in the 1st half.

Edited by Yngwie

What a drive up through lightning storm and sensational rain. Fish and chips excellent. Smugglers Tavern , scene of so many rendezvous in the past IS SHUT!!. Quick detour to bar opposite stadium and then...................into the arena of dreams..............surely my fav ground to visit.

The ref caused mayhem by swapping teams round before the start resulting in virtually everyone in the ground having to relocate , as can only happen in very few places these days.

Excellent display of patient passing football capped by two great goals. Could and should have been many more. A wee bit shot-shy at times and Bullock in good form despite continual **** taking from the terraces. We eased through to the next round with Andy Shinnie outstanding. Very enjoyable

Looks like Banjo is coming on for Arbroath. I'm looking around for a coo's arse. :amazed:

:lol: Obvious but very funny.

Thanks for all the bulletins. Looks like they re-focused after the Celtic fiasco. Onward and upward.

All quotes courtesy of RossP...................wonder if he is doing the match report?

I enjoyed that last night. Nice ground, friendly competition and spectators on both sides. No segregation and no need for it - fantastic. Herds of spectators moving from one goal end to the other (never seen that before, fabulous!). Team played with determination and competence, a good flowing style that utilised a lot of passing movement - there was still a lot of high balls up field that worked reasonably well most of the time but could be suspect against a more experienced SPL back 4, but no evidence of the old hoof'n'rush that we have suffered from in the past. And throughout I had an excellent chat with another life-long ICT supporter who is studying in Aberdeen and had also made the journey down to watch the game, good craic.

Attendance was only 672 though but well done to the ICT singing section who were more vocal in the 2nd half and kept encouraging the players when they were foraging at the Arbroath goal end.

A few milestones last night :

1. First clean sheet of the season

2. At long last I saw us win a game, after a pretty miserable run of 15 matches.

3. Probably the last time we'll ever get to dish out 'banter' to Tony Bullock. As ever, he took it well. Top bloke (for a paedo!)

Decent performance last night with Andy Shinnie standing out. We should have come away with a more convincing scoreline but fair play to Bullock who saved the Lichties from a potential drubbing. He definitely takes the stick well given the questionable subject matter of the abuse he gets.

Gayfield has got to be one of my favourite away grounds - you just can't beat switching ends at half-time. Also, fair play to wifie on turnstyle letting myself and three young boys in for £20. Funny how clubs who need the money most are the one least likely to fleece you.

Hampden here we come.....

Was there last night and agree with all the above comments.

Negatives: Arbroath didn't really trouble us that much, 0 shots on target for them sums it up. While not having very much to do our defence didn't look overly solid and can't help but feel if Holmes didn't come off injured he may have caused problems (seem to recall a hat-trick at TCS a few years back).

And OTJ was taking free kicks for some reason.

Pleasing to get a first clean-sheet and win of the season though and hopefully we can build from here.

Positives: We did the simple things well. Passed it about and made Arbroath work and created some good openings. Midfield worked well. Billy McKay ran himself into the ground trying to create space, but didn't have too much joy.

We could and should have had some more goals but for some fine keeping from Mr Bullock.

Shane had as good a game as I've seen from him before, he looked bright and had the confidence to try and take people on. For me it would've been a close call between him and A Shinnie for MOTM, Shinnie's 2 good finishes won us the game though and he just pips him to it.

We are in the top seeds for the next round and cannot draw another SPL team, sincerely hope we avoid Sevco though.

Tony Bullock was getting the banter with the fans behind the goals in both halves and takes the stick really well and is a good laugh to be fair to him.

I had what seemed to be a battered whale and chips after the game and it was very enjoyable.

Posted Yesterday, 05:08 PM

snapback.pngFoolPhysio, on 30 August 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

Attendance was only 672 though but well done to the ICT singing section who were more vocal in the 2nd half and kept encouraging the players when they were foraging at the Arbroath goal end.

673 :wink:

They must have found one more after the announcement at the ground then! :lol:

Edited by FoolPhysio