FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Team for county

northstandfan

The widths of the respective pitches are quoted on a few databases as both being 75 yards. I do agree that Dingwall's 'appears' to be a little narrower, but it's probably an optical illusion, with Dingwall possibly being a yard narrower.

I've just had a look at Google Maps with their satellite view. Okay, not cutting edge civil engineering but, at the time the images were captured by Google, there is negligible difference.

Using the length of the penalty areas (44 yards) as the standardised 'control', it's possible to get a reasonably accurate idea of the widths.

From the screenshots, the penalty area width at Inverness is 4.2 cm = 44 yards; with the pitch width being 7.2 cm = 75.4 yards

Dingwall's penalty area is 3.9 cm = 44 yards; with the pitch width being 6.6 cm = 74.5 yards.

So, the 75 yard measurements widely quoted are, for all intents and purposes, correct.

Edit. Obviously 'my' measurements of e.g. 4.2cm, are due to my browser settings etc and won't be the same for everybody - they're simply indicative, but the ratios will obviously be the same!

(cos I know someone will be measuring!)

post-3020-0-42521700-1396481589_thumb.jp

post-3020-0-68653000-1396481613_thumb.jp

Edited by Sneckboy
  • Agree 1

The widths of the respective pitches are quoted on a few databases as both being 75 yards. I do agree that Dingwall's 'appears' to be a little narrower, but it's probably an optical illusion, with Dingwall possibly being a yard narrower.

I've just had a look at Google Maps with their satellite view. Okay, not cutting edge civil engineering but, at the time the images were captured by Google, there is negligible difference.

Using the length of the penalty areas (44 yards) as the standardised 'control', it's possible to get a reasonably accurate idea of the widths.

From the screenshots, the penalty area width at Inverness is 4.2 cm = 44 yards; with the pitch width being 7.2 cm = 75.4 yards

Dingwall's penalty area is 3.9 cm = 44 yards; with the pitch width being 6.6 cm = 74.5 yards.

So, the 75 yard measurements widely quoted are, for all intents and purposes, correct.

You have far too much time on your hands lol.

• Agree 2

I would say that they're both 75 yards wide for general conversational purposes. But, no 2 pitches will be precisely the same width! If either is narrower, then it's Dingwall!

It's like saying two people are the same height. It wouldn't be exactly true, as if measured to the nth degree (say nanometres or smaller, down to atoms), one would be taller than the other.

But we'd crack up if we lived in a world where everything was taken literally, in the true sense of the word!

So, to summarise, the pitches are the same width.....but, of course, they're not! :smile:

• Agree 2

Maybe we should go John barnes 4-2-2-2? ha ha!

What I want is the ability to mix it up.

Ok Hughes said Doran may be available, but Foran is out for about 4 weeks, in that now infamous "educate" post match interview so

- Brill -

- Raven - Meekings - Warren - Shinnie -

- Draper - Polworth -

- Watkins - Christie - Ross -

-Mckay-

Christie has earned his start. And I think Polworth has a fair shout too, though that could be harsh on Tansey so either/or. Really wanna see Ross starting on the left side of the midfield 3 as for me he has the ability to link up with the central players and Shinnie down the left. Give Christie a free role. let him play. Let him support Mckay as a 2nd striker/trequartista/number 10 type.

If Doran is available I'd see him come off the bench. With Williams and Vincent there we'd have the options to change it up. Even bring on Tremarco and push Shinnie up wide left.

This management malarky's easy eh!

• Agree 1

Maybe we should go John barnes 4-2-2-2? ha ha!

What I want is the ability to mix it up.

Ok Hughes said Doran may be available, but Foran is out for about 4 weeks, in that now infamous "educate" post match interview so

- Brill -

- Raven - Meekings - Warren - Shinnie -

- Draper - Polworth -

- Watkins - Christie - Ross -

-Mckay-

Christie has earned his start. And I think Polworth has a fair shout too, though that could be harsh on Tansey so either/or. Really wanna see Ross starting on the left side of the midfield 3 as for me he has the ability to link up with the central players and Shinnie down the left. Give Christie a free role. let him play. Let him support Mckay as a 2nd striker/trequartista/number 10 type.

If Doran is available I'd see him come off the bench. With Williams and Vincent there we'd have the options to change it up. Even bring on Tremarco and push Shinnie up wide left.

This management malarky's easy eh!

When can you start?

Esson

Raven Meekings Warren Tremarco

Draper Tansey

Watkins Christie Shinnie

Mckay

Subs: Brill, Devine, Polworth, Vincent, Ross, Evans, Williams

I would say that they're both 75 yards wide for general conversational purposes. But, no 2 pitches will be precisely the same width! If either is narrower, then it's Dingwall!

It's like saying two people are the same height. It wouldn't be exactly true, as if measured to the nth degree (say nanometres or smaller, down to atoms), one would be taller than the other.

But we'd crack up if we lived in a world where everything was taken literally, in the true sense of the word!

So, to summarise, the pitches are the same width.....but, of course, they're not! :smile:

Bannerman hat on

"Width of pitch is an example of a continuous variable (It needs to be measured). The pitches are the same width measured to 2 significant figures, i.e. the nearest metre in this case.

No. of goals is an example of a discrete variable - it can be counted (unless you are talking about goals scored by ICT, which do not require to be counted)."

Bannerman hat off  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Agree 2

Like everyone else, I'd go for a 4-2-3-1 but, let's just try to select a 4-1-4-1 system at gunpoint.

Esson in goal probably.

I'd still value Raven as he can pass as well as defend.  We have little choice in central defence.  None can pass.  Maybe Meekings is the best but you can't drop Warren.  Tremarco out left to get Shinnie in midfield.

I don't see that Draper fits this system at all, despite being one of our best players.  Tansey would be the main man to get things started.  I'd drop Vincent back for passing link ups and have Shinnie in there for some pass and moves (not what he's great at but better than everyone else).  Ross would be in as he is pretty adaptable and can play a sweet short pass, or else one of our wingers would have to shift to being a central mid.  I'm really not sure who the extra body would be.  Actually, it would probably be Raven , meaning Meekings switches to RB.

We only have one striker.

So:

Esson

Meekings Devine Warren Tremarco

Tansey

Raven Vincent Shinnie Ross

McKay

Now, is that more promising than:

Brill

Raven Warren Meekings Shinnie

Tansey Draper

Watkins Christie Doran