FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Don Cowie

Libero

Just read this article from the P and J regarding us preparing a pre-contract offer for Cowie as well as clearing up the situation regarding keepers and Hibs supposed £200k bid for Blackie.

CALEY JAGS INTENSIFY COWIE FOCUS AT DINGWALL  

08:50 - 26 January 2007

Caley Thistle will sign Ross County midfielder Don Cowie on a pre-contract for next season if he impresses when the Staggies play host to Dundee tomorrow.

And Inverness have taken another step towards shaping their squad with goalkeeper Michael Fraser agreeing to sign extended terms with the club.

The new deal will keep 23-year-old Fraser, who has been given a starting role following Mark Brown's move to Celtic, at Caledonian Stadium until the summer of 2009.

County captain Cowie, who has come through the ranks at Victoria Park, turns 24 next month and will cross the Kessock Bridge on a free transfer after months of speculation linking him with the SPL club. Inverness have watched Cowie on a number of occasions this season, but, as they don't play Celtic until Sunday, director of football Graeme Bennett will lead a scouting party to Dingwall for a final assessment of the player.

He said: "We have let Ross County know we are proposing to enter a pre-contract agreement with Don Cowie.

"We will watch him one last time against Dundee before we finally make our move for him.

"He is a player who has done well and with Liam Keogh leaving us for Peterhead earlier this week, he plays in an area of the park where we need to strengthen."

Caley Thistle's attempts to recruit a back-up goalkeeper to Fraser are proving difficult, but Bennett is hopeful the situation will be resolved today.

Moves for St Mirren's Tony Bullock, Dunfermline player Roddy McKenzie, St Johnstone's Bryn Halliwell and Arsenal youngster Vito Mannone have all been considered.

One other short-term option would be to re-sign former Inverness player Ally Ridgers, currently with Highland League outfit Clach, on loan until the end of the season.

Bennett added: "We will hopefully have things sorted in the morning, but getting someone in has been difficult so far.

"We had the chance to take in a couple of young Premiership goalkeepers, but the clubs concerned wanted us to guarantee their players would play.

"That is something we couldn't do as we are looking for an understudy to Michael.

"He is our first-choice goalkeeper now and has agreed a new two-year contract. He was going to leave the club if Mark Brown had stayed with us so we want to give him a chance."

Bennett, meanwhile, says Caley Thistle, whose club captain Stuart Golabek should join Livingston on loan today until the summer, have not received a bid for midfielder Ian Black.

So if he plays badly tomorrow we won't try and sign him?  :014:

ha ha, aye

what amused me was the term 'scouting party'!

in all honesty i think it would be a good move for Cowie and Caley if/when we do sign him as he's a highly rated played and by the sounds of it ready to make the step up to the SPL.

Might go on a 'scouting party' myself tomorrow and check him out.

Not been to see County this season but I can't say he ever stood out when I saw them last season - Rankin always looked the class act.

It must really suck (more than usual!!) to be a County fan just now - us potentially taking there 'best' player AGAIN  :004:

Replace the words scouting party with 'some ICT staff who are looking for free admission'  :015: :015:  It's fairly common for them to watch a game on a Saturday if we're not playing.

Maybe he was including a few of us fans who are planning the game.  CC will most probably be on the phone when we get back to see what we thought.  :015: :015:

Or let's just drop the word Scouting and just have a party.  See RC v DFC on the non ICT thread.  :021:

Would like to think Hart still has a part to play in the future.

mind you if Cowie does arrive that would mean in midfield (not inclusing youngsters) we have:

McBain

Black

Duncan

Rankin

Wilson

Hart

Morgan

Paatelianen

Cowie?

Just read this in an article on teamtalk.com:

.......Meanwhile, Inverness are considering a move for Ross County midfielder Don Cowie, free in June, on a pre-contract agreement.

Bennett said: "We'll watch Cowie against Dundee on Saturday and there is a possibility of a transfer offer. Otherwise, he's in our plans for next season."

Interesting given that he will most likely be played in the same role that Ian Black normally plays in.

At County it was Cowie that did the spade work that allowed Rankin to get forward and get all those goals.

Or perhaps CC will change formation next season to incorporate extra midfielders to protect a back three lessening the effect of Dods departure?

Maybe he's a Russel Duncan that can pass the ball or even better, an Ian Black with discipline and good positioning... or is that 2 much to ask??

I still think Hart has a lot to offer the club, his crossing ability is second to none... and one day I hope to see him actually score 30 yrd freekick :010: :010: If nothing else he deserves it!

I still think Hart has a lot to offer the club, his crossing ability is second to none... and one day I hope to see him actually score 30 yrd freekick :010: :010: If nothing else he deserves it!

How exactly can he contribute if he can't even get a game?